Model Cars Magazine Forum

FSM - The Automotive Content Thread

On 2/15/2021 at 10:51 PM, CabDriver said:

I saw an interview with the owner/CEO of Kalmbach, and he said he wanted to move the company in more of a digital direction and slowly get away from print - so the increase in the number of reviews on the website versus in the magazine makes sense

Makes sense, print is an artifact of the past.    I moved most all my magazine subscriptions to digital 5-6 years ago.

On 2/16/2021 at 8:04 AM, TonyK said:

I get it. Digital is the thing now and can't be stopped but I hate it. For years now I've pointed out my desire for printed magazines. Every night when I go to bed I read for awhile and a laptop is not gonna work. The convenience for me to bring a magazine to read when my car is being serviced, waiting for someone while they're in the doctors office, store, airport (not anymore) etc. 

Tablets and phones work for all those scenarios...I always have my phone with me, and my tablet most of the time. 

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

Makes sense, print is an artifact of the past.    I moved most all my magazine subscriptions to digital 5-6 years ago.

Tablets and phones work for all those scenarios...I always have my phone with me, and my tablet most of the time. 

I love my 10 inch tablet and use it all the time. Unfortunately, I find this website almost unviewable on it. The viewing area of the forum is determined by whatever oversize banner ad happens to be taking up 1/3 of the screen at the time. I never found a suitable ad blocker for it, so I now view the forum exclusively on my PC.

Just now, Rodent said:

I love my 10 inch tablet and use it all the time. Unfortunately, I find this website almost unviewable on it. The viewing area of the forum is determined by whatever oversize banner ad happens to be taking up 1/3 of the screen at the time. I never found a suitable ad blocker for it, so I now view the forum exclusively on my PC.

This site looks ok on my phone, but on my tablet it's so-so.. 

I know part of the problem is me. Spent my whole life reading magazines and books and the new way of doing things just doesn't appeal to me. My laptop is great for many things but then I shut it off and move on. My phone is used some for texting and taking a picture of something that I might want to share with others.

The younger people like my son and grandson use their phone for EVERYTHING and I hear about my old fashioned ways.

On 2/15/2021 at 8:29 PM, sfhess said:

I thumbed through the latest issue at Barnes & Noble.  Interesting but not worth the $7.99 cover price.

I like paper too, but not that much.

Looking at the stacks of magazines that I have accumulated,  the minimal space that digital media takes up looks increasingly attractive.

And yes, nothng is permanent on the internet.  This is why you save the stuff you want to keep on your own computer.

29 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

When the power goes out, I can still enjoy a book or magazine (or crossword puzzle) by candle or flashlight. And have had to do so on several occasions. 

While I also prefer reading paper versions, I have to admit that when the power goes out, Kindles, iPads or smart phones also have batteries (and back-lit screens), so you can keep on reading your electronic magazine (until the batteries run down).  But nothing beats candlelight, except maybe for a kerosene lantern. :)

10 hours ago, Snake45 said:

When the power goes out, I can still enjoy a book or magazine (or crossword puzzle) by candle or flashlight. And have had to do so on several occasions. 

I try not to think about that but we did just this exact thing a lot over the weekend.

I like to rip a couple pages from a magazine and toss it in a model box when there are pictures or tips about it. Very handy and don't have to go looking for it later.

• 3 weeks later...

April issue: Six pages on a "rat rod"-ish creation based on a Revell '32 Ford 5-window. Resin Cummins diesel whose plumbing reminded me of something from a Dr. Seuss book.  It's FSM so of course it's heavy on weathering, "patina," and rust. :unsure:

I bought the issue mainly because a friend of mine has an article on a fairly nice F4U-4 Corsair. 

On 1/24/2021 at 10:47 AM, vincen47 said:

Here’s a thread that subscribers to FSM (by default or not) can post, following each issue, a brief and simple outline of the car and truck related content that may be of interest to us. 

If the article’s title and/or description interests anyone, the individual might want to make a trip to the hobby shop to browse.

As a baseline, We should filter the magazine’s content by asking the question “Would this article be included in SA, if it were still around?” Granted, there may not be a whole lot of content meeting that criteria in each issue.

We can also post any automotive-related special issues, annuals, and miscellaneous  car and truck content published by Kalmbach during the post Scale Auto era.

For those that are subscribers to Fine Scale Modeler, they just posted a full kit review/completed buildup of the Round 2 AMT 1964 Olds Cutlass Convertible kit at their website....TIM 

48 minutes ago, thomascoffey1959@gmail.com said:

So if the intent, at KP is to go digital ,why then not continue the web site for SA and its readers ?  Pfffft KP, and SA. I feel absolutely no sense of loyalty to a company that would shun its customer base. 

It would’ve made sense to leave it up and keep the door open to reviving the title at a later date.. either in print or digital. 

I don’t know what the fallout is from canceling the magazine.. how many people crossed over to FSM, and how many walked away. Seems to me they abandoned an entire market segment!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Continued frustration with this magazine AND their website. Almost a week after I contacted customer service, they emailed me with a lame response about my problem.

My problem being not able to access the model reviews on the website. I am logged in. It shows I am logged in but shows a lock next to the review subject and then says I must be a subscriber and need to login. I am both! Have tried numerous times to login again with the other windows that show up on the website but get the same result.

The email I got from them suggests the usual delete all history/cookies and try again. Have done that with no positive result.

Was hoping to give this magazine a fair shot when it was dumped in my lap. I build model cars but enjoy looking at all models and see what the talented builders do outside of my usual subjects but am real frustrated with the magazine and now the website.

11 hours ago, TonyK said:

Continued frustration with this magazine AND their website. Almost a week after I contacted customer service, they emailed me with a lame response about my problem.

My problem being not able to access the model reviews on the website. I am logged in. It shows I am logged in but shows a lock next to the review subject and then says I must be a subscriber and need to login. I am both! Have tried numerous times to login again with the other windows that show up on the website but get the same result.

The email I got from them suggests the usual delete all history/cookies and try again. Have done that with no positive result.

Was hoping to give this magazine a fair shot when it was dumped in my lap. I build model cars but enjoy looking at all models and see what the talented builders do outside of my usual subjects but am real frustrated with the magazine and now the website.

Same for me - I gave up trying to get it to work a while back.  They told me the same thing, and even had me set up a new account but I still can’t get in there.

Which is a pity, seeing as they published a build review of mine earlier this month but I’ve got no way of seeing it 😂🤷‍♂️

On 3/8/2021 at 7:21 PM, tim boyd said:

For those that are subscribers to Fine Scale Modeler, they just posted a full kit review/completed buildup of the Round 2 AMT 1964 Olds Cutlass Convertible kit at their website....TIM 

If you can find a way to view it. I'm a subscriber AND a forum member and it NEVER lets me view complete reviews.

1 hour ago, Classicgas said:

If you can find a way to view it. I'm a subscriber AND a forum member and it NEVER lets me view complete reviews.

So at least two well respected members of the Forum that are FSM subscribers are having these access issues....I am curious to hear if there are any others here that are experiencing the same problems?  TIM 

In fairness to FSM, this issue happened to me on the Scale Auto site too - never did manage to get an account to work on there despite being a long-term subscriber, and ditto the forum.

I did try all the obvious tricks to get it working (try a different computer, different browser, tried on an iPad, tried an iPhone, did what their support people said, etcetera etcetera) but I just gave up in the end.  I was never so desperate to read an article that I couldn't wait for the magazine to come out, but its definitely something they'll want to get fixed if they're trying to push the online aspect more.

On 3/5/2021 at 1:22 PM, Snake45 said:

April issue: Six pages on a "rat rod"-ish creation based on a Revell '32 Ford 5-window. Resin Cummins diesel whose plumbing reminded me of something from a Dr. Seuss book.  It's FSM so of course it's heavy on weathering, "patina," and rust. :unsure:

I bought the issue mainly because a friend of mine has an article on a fairly nice F4U-4 Corsair. 

Walked in my local Barnes & Nobles the other night and saw the April issue of Fine Scale mag. Are you kidding me? Nope. Not worth the price for the mag even with the 10% Barnes and Nobles membership discount. Pitiful to say the least....