Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tiny parts containers/recycled

Venom

25 minutes ago, Deuces ll said:

I have a few of those also... How's about empty pill containers????.....

Empty pill containers would be great too for those who use pills regularly... I just thought how pretty much all of us use blades and throw the dull ones away inย the container, when instead we could keep them for something useful

I use pill bottles to store super glues, bottled Tenaxย glue, even small paint bottles and thinner.ย  The sealable cap makes for a nice containment vessel that adds spill protection.ย  I use smaller pill bottles for used Xacto blade and scalpel blade safe-disposal.ย 

Tiny zip-lock bags (Hobby Lobby jewelry section) are great for keeping small parts or assemblies clean and safe after painting/detailing and while awaiting assembly.

And, I keep larger subassemblies (seats, chassis components, engines, for example) in the cheap resealable plastic boxes that deli meat comes in (after eating the meat and cleaning the boxes, of course!).

A plastic coffee "can" is a great size and shape for CD / DVD storage. I use old discs for pallets - glue, 2-part filler, or even paint. When they're done, I just toss them in the coffee can. When it fills up, I toss the whole shebang and start over filling up a new one.ย 

??

ย 

You remind me, Greg:ย  bottle caps. I keep them and use them for small mixes of detailing paints or washes. Mix a little in a bottle cap, then throw it away when you're done that session. Super easy clean up - "toss it!"

??

ย 

Many of us buy our blades in larger packs, I get the 100 pack. I dispose of used blades by simply wrapping them in blue tape.ย 

i have two 50 drawer sorting units on the shelf over my bench for small parts. I pull from that all the time. I have drawers marked for everything from valve covers, wheel backs and even small round shapes.ย 
ย 

ย 

ย 

• 6 months later...

I may have mentioned this before in another post, but I use baby food containers for storage of misc parts, etc.

For those of you not up to speed on baby food, it comes in nice little plastic containers with snap-on lids these days,ย instead of the old glass jars.

I discovered these while watching my grandkids eat๐Ÿ˜†

So, if you have any family or friends with little kids, ask them to save their containers for you instead of tossing them in the recycling bin.ย 

1FE0C4DB-651F-440C-8FDA-67885D128579.jpeg.9f5d8a2138a53cc9fbaa3c86e0479b51.jpeg

I use these Swiffer boxes for parts boxes and keeping in progress projects. There are two different box depths, depending on how many pads are in the box you buy. The perfect size to keep a model, plastic with a clear lid. And stackable!

I post this because every time I do someone says their wife uses these and tosses the box!

I'm like everyone else, I save glass bottles, have one big 50 drawer cabinet hung in the hobby room, also save and use empty plastic coffee cans,biggest one makes a great garbage can on the bench.

Went to Hobby Lobby got me a pack of ten plastic paint pallets, great for mixing paint in. Nice if your using water based paint, just take it to the sink and wash it out. Also while at the drug store I picked up one of those things that people use to separate there pills for seven days, works great for really small items.ย 

Bought me a big plastic tackle box, open it up pulls out to 3 high this is great to keep bigger items in, such as the extra blade ,and other bigger parts. I also dispose of my used blades into an empty plastic coke bottle that keep on the shelf by the work bench ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  All of this works just fine for my needs

28 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

My wife uses those and tosses the box! ๐Ÿ˜

My point! ย Perfect hobby boxes!

D894EEEB-C5E0-4B1C-A9B2-032390A30182.jpeg.0b61094e839aeb10d94eab4a9b1550c6.jpeg

Hereโ€™s my project shelf.. you can see both size boxes here.

6557D7C8-C6FA-4517-BD71-ABAAB84A8121.jpeg.9af2acc80e29e46096de2cc61b2acf6a.jpeg
ย 

photo turned sideways.. clear lid letโ€™s you see whatโ€™s in it.ย 

4 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Yeah Josh but with my tendency to lose stuff I'd probable lose the container with the parts๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ˜„

My thought about these tiny containers was to use them to compartmentalize really tiny parts and then keep the tiny containers inside a larger one so that they canโ€™t get lost.๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘

• 4 weeks later...