Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari purists look away

m3fan

This Ferrari 250GT Spyder California was a rebuild that I first completed 20 plus years ago. It was not a bad build but the orange peel in the paint was terrible.

When a couple of trim pieces fell off I decided to see how far I could take it apart and it seemed to cooperate.

I kept the overall look it had before but lowered the stance and added MG brand wire wheels and tires.they almost have a big and little kind of look.the paint was an experiment using Tamils mica red then clear red and finally red russet pearl in clearcoat. I also added some 3D badges from model factory hiro and replaced the kit seats for something I had in my parts bin.

Although not perfect I’m much happier with this on the shelf now.

thanks for looking.

BDFFD4D7-E3EF-4CE2-8DB6-8851C230AE33.jpeg

68F87ECE-649A-4165-8DDA-03AFEEAF615E.jpeg

052F6F65-E241-4F93-B2F9-97F666541BCF.jpeg

4F6688A1-4C5C-47ED-B442-9345D7D0A19C.jpeg

DEC44FC0-A4E8-4DA4-9217-6F942C3C8153.jpeg

8B0C2DFB-A4A8-49A6-8198-42F96A8A2530.jpeg

Thanks for all the replies!

Claude, to answer your question I picked up from a craft store years ago a whole assortment of pearl powders. I add some to my clear then airbrush as a mid coat then go over that with straight clear.

hope this helps.

1 hour ago, m3fan said:

Thanks for all the replies!

Claude, to answer your question I picked up from a craft store years ago a whole assortment of pearl powders. I add some to my clear then airbrush as a mid coat then go over that with straight clear.

hope this helps.

HI!

Thanks for the reply.

I also have some of those, from MIchael's. In my case, the brand is Jacquard, if I remember correctly. Good product. I bought a quart of their powder directly from the factory two years ago, and used it with great results on a 1/1 car.

CT 

11 hours ago, Fish_65 said:

I was half expecting an LS engine in it judging by your title though ?

Same here - I think it is a great looking build.   By the title, I was anticipating a dragster or at least a scoop sticking through the hood.  :D

LOL! Good point I chose the title based on the non factory colour and “ hot rod” stance but thanks for looking

39 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Same here - I think it is a great looking build.   By the title, I was anticipating a dragster or at least a scoop sticking through the hood.  :D