Model Cars Magazine Forum

79 Chevrolet Nova

Cool Hand

Knowing how poor quality kits of this era are, it was bought to be built it in my favourite style.

Et0Uo5v.jpg

jwVzM7z.jpg

These would have to be my favourite wheels, pity that they arent available anymore.

s8XwwoG.jpg

After a bit of messing around re drilling axle holes, got the ride height where I like it. Thankfully no modifications to the front wheel wells, rear tubs or the interior tub were required.

bCW9fTL.jpg

fafGWgN.jpg

Will build as a curbside plus,  so it will still have an engine. Had to raise the engine up a couple mm so the sump wasnt sitting on the ground.

oileQvY.jpg

Edited by Cool Hand

5 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Look forward to seeing you work your magic on this one.

I have one of these too (a Street Machine version) that I'm looking to build one day soon. They're reasonably popular on here, @disconovaman and @Rockford will be pleased to see another one.

Yes please! Though I have terrible guilt over the fact that I'm not building mine! ?

Interesting idea for this kit, I don't recall ever seeing one done in this style. It would be fun to see it with a wild Lowrider paint scheme with candy colors and lots of pin striping.

Try not to take it too seriously. My problem is I'm always thinking about how to improve the kit. It's best to overlook the small problems and just go with it. ? 

Reguardless, This will be fun to see come together... Here is an example of a Lowrider paint scheme...

20210125_075843.jpg

I'm watching too. I recently got a case of Disco Nova Fever and accumulated several of these--2 new kits and three or four glue bombs. I just finished the paint strip on one of the GBs and am looking for ideas for a simple, easy, fun, cool build. Drive on! B)

Appreciate the interest in the topic guys.

10 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Look forward to seeing you work your magic on this one.

I have one of these too (a Street Machine version) that I'm looking to build one day soon. They're reasonably popular on here, @disconovaman and @Rockford will be pleased to see another one.

Wont be anything to over the top, just clean and simple. Il put most of my efforts into getting the body prep'd for paint.

Had seen a few builds. Can see why they are popular, would make pretty cool street machines. 

2 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Interesting idea for this kit, I don't recall ever seeing one done in this style. It would be fun to see it with a wild Lowrider paint scheme with candy colors and lots of pin striping.

Try not to take it too seriously. My problem is I'm always thinking about how to improve the kit. It's best to overlook the small problems and just go with it. ? 

Reguardless, This will be fun to see come together... Here is an example of a Lowrider paint scheme...

20210125_075843.jpg

I like choosing unusual subjects for Lowriders, makes for something different and fun.

No fancy paint, got to stick with my trademark colours black with red interior. 

I try not to take any of my builds too seriously nowadays, just have fun adding some custom touches without getting too carried away. Simplicity, fun and finishing is what I strive for nowadays.  

On 1/26/2021 at 5:46 AM, Rockford said:

Very nice! 

Thank you.

21 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Cool. I've built this kit, stock spec. It's a really nice kit, looking forward to seeing it progress.

And a great build it is for a stock. I wouldnt say its a full on bad kit, just lacking in some area's.

15 hours ago, Lowlife ! ! said:

Hi Luke, good to see you back with another project !

I've been after more Pegasus wires for months, no wonder I couldn't find any if they stopped producing them !

Look forward to more, any progress with your Mustang drift car ?

Hey Martin thanks for checking in, working on a few projects I will share.

Not 100% certain but I think the 1109's had a tyre change and go by a different number now I think.

Nah mate, got in over my head on the Mustang so back in the box until I want to work on it again. 

Edited by Cool Hand

Re-positioned the engine and set it back further.

IpW3Jk7.jpg

Wasnt happy with the front bumper fit.

pmhB9om.jpg

Could be I didnt place it correctly, but had this gap

QXemnxw.jpg

So set the dividers, and using the edge as a guide. Scribed the distance to bring the bumper in.

D6QdpN1.jpg

Can see here the improvement with the bumper fit, also smoothed the bumper. And added some styrene to clean up the front around the radiator which was also raised to suit the engine fan.

XEgGk6U.jpg

Totally spaced when I first set the ride height, forgot to add the radiator support panel. When it was placed the front raised a few mm, so decided to lift the rear to level it out. Not so low anymore, so we will call it drive height. LOL!

So a few mocks to show how it looks now.

l45krcZ.jpg

rNWPsuu.jpg

hJiP8ae.jpg

u0TRSPh.jpg

6xdJXt1.jpg

Nice work with that engine compartment. That is definitely an area that needs addressed. An improvement indeed... now that big block Pontiac looks more comfortable in there. You're definitely gonna have some giddy-up running a Pontiac big block with duel quad dominator carbs... 

I'm digging the work going on with this one... of course... I am a little biased ? 

Thanks all.

On 1/28/2021 at 2:19 PM, disconovaman said:

Nice work with that engine compartment. That is definitely an area that needs addressed. An improvement indeed... now that big block Pontiac looks more comfortable in there. You're definitely gonna have some giddy-up running a Pontiac big block with duel quad dominator carbs... 

I'm digging the work going on with this one... of course... I am a little biased ? 

Thanks, appreciate sharing the info about the engine. 

Nah, you are just a die hard Nova fan.

23 hours ago, MeatMan said:

Nice work Luke. I've got that kit for someday and its good to see what can be done with it.

I think the kit could be built in any style and it would suit.

Done a bit of body work.

Door lines and hatch lines were well defined, but scribed a bit deeper. Also scribed around the trim, helps to make trimming bmf a lot easier for me.

kMzheU8.jpg

SswlxQT.jpg

Removed the molded in wipers.

QasnVkZ.jpg

First coats of Mr Hobby Finishing Surfacer 1500 black. Few areas to fix up then another couple coats, after that apply the TS-14 black.

Interior painted, flat clear to applied later

MR1EEQf.jpg

pWA889s.jpg

IKxwHnI.jpg