Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya 1/24 240ZG

fumi

That should be nice. The Fujimi and Hasegawa versions are pretty easy to find, but the Tamiya being a full detail (vs Fujimi's added engine version) will, fingers crossed, be the best. I have never like those stock wheel covers. Hopefully a "custom" version will come out later similar to the Skyline 2000GT.

Just now, dbostream said:

My first thought was not another one of these...but there isn't one in this scale with a decent engine is there? If it is not too pricey I will pick one up, and yes I am willing to pay more when an engine is included.

The Fujimi kits include two engines, both the regular Z engine, and the one from the '73 GT-R, BUT the kit doesn't actually have any sort of engine bay detail to put them into as the kit was originally a curbside.  The engines themselves are pretty nice.

Overall this is kind of a "superior yawner".  The Tamiya kit will undoubtly be the best of the 1st Gen Z kits when it's all said and done, but another ZG...ohboyohboy.  2021 is the 50th Anniversary of the ZG, and I suppose people in Japan (and particularly Nissan) are still pretty partial to them.  Unless there's a Z432R in the distance...I guess I'll buy one, and sell my Fujimi ZG, but after the spate of Hasegawa LHD kits, my collection is about 240Z'd out at the moment.  The ZG also wasn't available here - with that whole composite headlight set up that was illegal, so that may lend this to being RHD only.  Be interested to see the parts layout and all of that in the future.

1 hour ago, niteowl7710 said:

Overall this is kind of a "superior yawner".  The Tamiya kit will undoubtly be the best of the 1st Gen Z kits when it's all said and done, but another ZG...ohboyohboy

I was thinking the same thing, but that’s probably what Japanese consumers say when Revell makes another Chevelle kit...

It will be interesting to see how the metal window and headlight trim works. Seems like it would be really difficult to get metal to conform the the curves. 

I might get one just for the engine and the sideview mirrors...

D1FAA284-B61F-4607-9578-F8CCC3A9462E.jpeg

4244AF99-13BA-4BC5-B844-F8B831D972F8.jpeg

8D8F37B2-EE6D-47EC-81C1-F0C659DE97D4.jpeg

Edited by Erik Smith

4 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

I have never like those stock wheel covers. Hopefully a "custom" version will come out later similar to the Skyline 2000GT.

The Watanabes from the Skyline will work just fine, and they are the de facto wheels on most 240ZG.

1 hour ago, Erik Smith said:

It will be interesting to see how the metal window and headlight trim works. Seems like it would be really difficult to get metal to conform the the curves.

My guess is they would be metal stickers like they did with their classic car line before.  The front and rear windshield trims would be tricky; in real life it is a chrome strip sandwiched between the rubber trim.

1 hour ago, niteowl7710 said:

Yes, but as I mentioned before that kit has no inner fender well/engine compartment detail. You have to cut the hood off, and then fabricate the engine bay otherwise it's an engine sitting in hole.

And if I remember correctly, the Fujimi plastic is quite thick around the bonnet. I had the kit to steal the engine and got rid of the rest, but looked it over before deciding to let it go. 

2 hours ago, fumi said:

My guess is they would be metal stickers like they did with their classic car line before.  The front and rear windshield trims would be tricky; in real life it is a chrome strip sandwiched between the rubber trim.

That would nice for the headlight trim. Window trim probably easier by paint and or bmf

2 hours ago, fumi said:

Great news - can't believe it's taken them 40 years to get around to it in 1:24 scale! In fairness it might not have been so good if they'd done it in the early '80s, but it would have fitted in perfectly with the classics they did back in the '90s.

Be nice if they give the option to build it without the G nose, as Hasegawa do. Could then use the C10 GT-R's engine to create a Z432?

I've been contemplating building my Fujimi kit recently, I'm planning to build it without the engine and use the L24 in something else. I think the Hasegawa kit edges it however, especially with its separate arches and option to build with or without the G nose.

If Tamiya give some options then it could trump them all.

• 2 months later...

After seeing this i ordered the hasegawa 240zg. It was a complete impulse buy. It supports to arrive this weekend, i need to finish up my current build before that. 

I am curious how the tamiya and the hasegawa will compare. I love tamiya kits because they always are awesome and we built, and every hasegawa i built has been very good too

1 hour ago, youpey said:

After seeing this i ordered the hasegawa 240zg. It was a complete impulse buy. It supports to arrive this weekend, i need to finish up my current build before that. 

I am curious how the tamiya and the hasegawa will compare. I love tamiya kits because they always are awesome and we built, and every hasegawa i built has been very good too

Hasegawa makes a perfectly good 240Z kit, but it's curbside.  The Tamiya one will include an engine...and be...well Tamiya.

4 hours ago, fumi said:

Tamiya has posted product information.  The window moldings and headlight cover frames will be separate chromed parts, and the wheel covers will be in 3 pieces similar to how it was done in the new Supra.

https://www.tamiya.com/japan/products/24360/index.html

i love this. it needs to become the standard in kits going forward24360_4c7.jpg