Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya 1/24 240ZG

fumi

1 hour ago, youpey said:

i love this. it needs to become the standard in kits going forward24360_4c7.jpg

Wow! This is one one the want list!  Looking at tamiya's web page for the kit, it looks pretty awsome!

Should go together like a tamiya kit. :) 

Wonder what the aftermarket is going to come out with.......

Personally I'd rather see a non-G nosed LHD kit. The biggest add-ons on the 1/12 "Street Custom" kit were racing seats, a rear hoop bar, a strut brace, ITB or side-draft carbs (can't remember off the top of my head) and the Watanabes. Most of that stuff can be sourced out of other 240Z kits that already exist. The Watanabes out of a Hasegawa kit will even be male mount so you don't have to muck around with the whole wheel fitting nonsense.

44 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

Personally I'd rather see a non-G nosed LHD kit. The biggest add-ons on the 1/12 "Street Custom" kit were racing seats, a rear hoop bar, a strut brace, ITB or side-draft carbs (can't remember off the top of my head) and the Watanabes. Most of that stuff can be sourced out of other 240Z kits that already exist. The Watanabes out of a Hasegawa kit will even be male mount so you don't have to muck around with the whole wheel fitting nonsense.

Cheers for the tip!

Ben

On 4/27/2021 at 3:52 PM, niteowl7710 said:

First car I ever bought by myself was a 72 240Z.  I would kill for an aftermarket set for LHD and short nose!  I know it is a lot of design work, but would it be that difficult to scan the kit dash and mirror image it and 3D print it?  Probably, but just an idea for all of us Z enthusiasts here in the USA. 

2 hours ago, Pete J. said:

First car I ever bought by myself was a 72 240Z.  I would kill for an aftermarket set for LHD and short nose!  I know it is a lot of design work, but would it be that difficult to scan the kit dash and mirror image it and 3D print it?  Probably, but just an idea for all of us Z enthusiasts here in the USA. 

I’m sure someone will do that. I’m in Australia and the aftermarket definitely caters with right hand drive dashes. 

Ben

7 hours ago, Pete J. said:

The LHD dash from the U.S. Spec Datsun 240Zs that Hasegawa did last year might fit depending on how Tamiya goes about creating their interior. The kits do still come with RHD parts so you could conceivably take out what you need and pass the kit along as technically still complete. 

9 hours ago, Bill Eh? said:

Andy's Hobby Headquarters Youtube channel preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9ij0cTrI78

That is a real quality video.  Thanks for posting it.  In looking at the instruction sheets, I count less than 8 parts to make a RHD spec 240Z.  Also the layout on the sprues look like it would not be all that difficult to do.  The parts that need to change are pretty much on their own sprues.  My guess is that Tamiya could pop one more sprue and get all the conversion parts. I also noticed that the metal transfers have all the right pieces already.   Please!  Oh, Please Tamiya!

3 hours ago, Pete J. said:

That is a real quality video.  Thanks for posting it.  In looking at the instruction sheets, I count less than 8 parts to make a RHD spec 240Z.  Also the layout on the sprues look like it would not be all that difficult to do.  The parts that need to change are pretty much on their own sprues.  My guess is that Tamiya could pop one more sprue and get all the conversion parts. I also noticed that the metal transfers have all the right pieces already.   Please!  Oh, Please Tamiya!

I presuming you mean LHD?  The kit already is RHD.  The metal transfers would have to be at least partially redone to reflect the Datsun 240Z name rather than the JDM Fairlady designation.  From the looks of it, other than the standard nose parts, you'd just need a dash, center console and the wipers in order to do the flip, along with a new firewall to move the master brake cylinder, and steering shaft to the LHD position.  You'd probably need a new steering rack part for the chassis too.

Edited by niteowl7710

9 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

I presuming you mean LHD?  The kit already is RHD.  The metal transfers would have to be at least partially redone to reflect the Datsun 240Z name rather than the JDM Fairlady designation.  From the looks of it, other than the standard nose parts, you'd just need a dash, center console and the wipers in order to do the flip, along with a new firewall to move the master brake cylinder, and steering shaft to the LHD position.  You'd probably need a new steering rack part for the chassis too.

You are right about the LHD . My Bad.  The 240z badges are already there and the only pieces that need changing are the "Datsun" hood badges and front quarter panels and the rear deck lid  The center console is the same on both cars and flipping the wipers is something any builder could do.  You would probably have to change the pedals as well. The dash, firewall, master cylinder, steering shaft and rack and pinion, as well as the front pieces need replacement.  Still, not a huge undertaking!

Perhaps they will come out with the Safari car in 1/24th as well.  That would take care of the front end parts.

Just an FYI, I bought mine new in July 1972 in Sterling Colorado.  I got the dealer added dual rear view mirrors and rear window louvers painted in body color and the front bumper override.  As I recall, it was about $2,600 out the door.  One of two cars I wish I had never gotten rid of!

Edited by Pete J.

6 hours ago, Bennyg said:

I’m sure looking at the sprues there will be other versions coming out. I hope they do that. I’m getting one, but I don’t like the wheels that comes with it.

Ben

Interestingly enough those are very similar to stock US wheels except they were wheel covers.  Most owners swapped them out for something else because they made a weird clunking sound.  Never did figure out what that was. 

12 hours ago, Pete J. said:

Interestingly enough those are very similar to stock US wheels except they were wheel covers.  Most owners swapped them out for something else because they made a weird clunking sound.  Never did figure out what that was. 

Most owners never got the chance to change them out.  Dealers would install aftermarket wheels and other accessories at inflated prices to increase their profit on a high-demand car.

1 hour ago, sfhess said:

Most owners never got the chance to change them out.  Dealers would install aftermarket wheels and other accessories at inflated prices to increase their profit on a high-demand car.

As I mentioned, I got mine in Sterling Colorado.  It is a small town in north eastern Colorado.  The dealer had almost no show room and one mechanic.  You put your name on the list and when one came in you could buy it or go to the back of the list.  Never really liked the color of mine, but it was mine!  The dealer wasn't doing the big town games because he had a much smaller customer base and needed his reputation to stay clean.  He didn't charge any more than the MSRP.  I was lucky to deal with him.  Of course is probably didn't hurt that he was a WWII vet and I was a young second Lieutenant going to my first duty station.  The military wasn't shown any love at that time in our counties history, but some still respected those who served.

• 3 weeks later...

In 1977 I was at the Datsun dealer when the first truck load of 1978 280Z's arrived. I picked mine out while it was still on the truck. Last year for the regular Z and the engine was a little larger with fuel injection. Mine was a 5-speed metallic brown with factory air. Super fun car. A bit impractical because it was so small, i was a 4x4 guy, sold my 1970 Bronco to buy the Z.

I recall driving down the freeway one evening and the wife says, everyone is going so slow tonight. I checked the speedo and I was sailing along at 90. Pretty smooth car, you'd never know it was going that fast.

Ok, enough war stories, I would love a kit of an American version 280Z with the bumpers, which Datsun made to look pretty nice compared to most American cars of the day. I really like the genuine metal window trim and headlight trim. US versions never came with headlight covers, some law prevented them. Cool cars through the present versions.

I actually sold my Z after 6 months. Too small. I bought a Chevy K5 Blazer, still only buy 4x4 SUV's. 

Edited by Bill J

1 hour ago, Bill J said:

In 1977 I was at the Datsun dealer when the first truck load of 1978 280Z's arrived. I picked mine out while it was still on the truck. Last year for the regular Z and the engine was a little larger with fuel injection. Mine was a 5-speed metallic brown with factory air. Super fun car. A bit impractical because it was so small, i was a 4x4 guy, sold my 1970 Bronco to buy the Z.

Back in the 80s, my sister's first Z was a metallic brown '78, 5 spd, w/ wire wheels..bought it used in Mesa, AZ in 1980 to replace her tired '76 Pinto she and husband #1 had driven from Ohio.   She traded it on a gray '85 300 ZX 2+2, then that was replaced by a silver '90 300ZX Turbo.