Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya 1/24 240ZG

fumi

2 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Back in the 80s, my sister's first Z was a metallic brown '78, 5 spd, w/ wire wheels..bought it used in Mesa, AZ in 1980 to replace her tired '76 Pinto she and husband #1 had driven from Ohio.   She traded it on a gray '85 300 ZX 2+2, then that was replaced by a silver '90 300ZX Turbo. 

Maybe your sister bought my 78 Z. I sold it to a guy that worked for First National Bank of Arizona. Never saw the car or the guy again.  Sounda like your sister likes fun little cars, well, maybe not the Pinto :)

2 minutes ago, Bill J said:

Maybe your sister bought my 78 Z. I sold it to a guy that worked for First National Bank of Arizona. Never saw the car or the guy again.  Sounda like your sister likes fun little cars, well, maybe not the Pinto :)

Yeah, the Pinto was a high school graduation gift from our folks. She has had a lot of interesting cars over the years…the Zs, a Saab 900 Turbo, Acura Legend coupe, various Mercedes…

13 hours ago, Bill J said:

Ok, enough war stories, I would love a kit of an American version 280Z with the bumpers, which Datsun made to look pretty nice compared to most American cars of the day. I really like the genuine metal window trim and headlight trim. US versions never came with headlight covers, some law prevented them. Cool cars through the present versions.

Like this?
473004640_s-l1600(4).jpg.ec3ebbf80b08faae7be18e2b3f1948b9.jpg

Round2 reissued it in 2017.

1 hour ago, Spottedlaurel said:

There's the old and basic Monogram kit for that one - it'd be tricky to build as a stock example but it's a good basis for modifying:

Monogram 1:24 Datsun 280Z (S30)

Never seen that one, don't think it's ever been reissued. 

9 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Never seen that one, don't think it's ever been reissued. 

Certainly not for a long time. There's also this racing version, from memory it has most/all of what's needed to build a road car plus a few extra bits.

1:24 Monogram Datsun 280Z Road Racer kit

Difficult to do much about the roof at the top of the windscreen, but the rear pan can be modified to look less boxy.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at several build pics, holes are already tooled for the grab handles for the Safari version, and the ZG specific parts like the bumper, headlights, fender flares and wheels are on their own sprues that can be switched out.  Safari versions is pretty much guaranteed now, just need to see what other combinations would Tamiya come up with further down the road.

This is the first I've seen of this kit! A while back I bought the 1/12 version of this car for a very good price off the 'Bay. The wheels/tires always seemed a bit too inboard to me, but that's how Datsun made those cars back then.

Now my curiosity is up and off I go to see if I can get this one from Tamiya! :D

This is widely available from any Japanese online seller - all the usual suspects.  I believe HK is getting it before the weekend, and here in the U.S. we're sorta at the whim of the L.A. Ports as to when things will arrive.  The Sauber C9s just were arriving in Hobby Shops about two weeks ago nearly a full month after they were released in Japan.  Our release of the Senna was also delayed more than a month and half past the original U.S. release date.  *shrug* Nothing you can do about it really.  It's either wait for them here, or import them - mine's sitting over at HLJ waiting for a couple of Hasegawa June releases to drop before I ship the crate over.

7 hours ago, youpey said:

Where did you find it?

I preordered from hobby search Japan. I’m in Australia. Postage was steep, but I got it very quickly. They don’t seem to have a slower, cheaper option for postage. 

Ben

Ok...............I could NOT resist! I ordered one off the 'Bay from a Japanese seller with very good feedback. ;)

I may jump in and build this one not long after I get it as an "easy builder". Genuine Tamiya kits I never had any issues building them as they pretty much fall together. I say "genuine" as I did build their BMW 850i kit which was actually a reboxed Revell, and that was IMO a NIGHTMARE.

5 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Ok...............I could NOT resist! I ordered one off the 'Bay from a Japanese seller with very good feedback. ;)

I may jump in and build this one not long after I get it as an "easy builder". Genuine Tamiya kits I never had any issues building them as they pretty much fall together. I say "genuine" as I did build their BMW 850i kit which was actually a reboxed Revell, and that was IMO a NIGHTMARE.

As much as they rebox other people's military stuff, I'm almost certain the only two times they did that in 1/24 car kits were the 850i you mentioned, and it's "companion" RoG 325i.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I’m currently working on one of these. The floor pan and internal aspect of the doors indicate that they may release a left hand drive version at a later date.

The separate headlight and front bumper indicate to me that they may do the rally version too. Hopefully that’ll make people happy.

Ben

I managed to get one of these recently. I haven't yet had a really thorough look, but the delicacy of some pieces and the level of detail is amazing to me. I hope I can do it justice, it certainly doesn't look like one to bash out over a weekend or two or a few evenings.

It certainly appears that all sorts of versions could be spun-off from it, like Hasegawa with their recent releases.