Model Cars Magazine Forum

Italeri 2021

dbostream

8 minutes ago, dbostream said:

https://www.italeri.com/uploads/news/AY8p8Mc4VebT1GVJ5SVhR0wRFuvMlyG6nbu5dgSD.pdf

Anything to be excited about? As far as I can tell nothing new unless you count the Lancia that was supposed to be released last year.

Is the Toyota Land Cruiser BJ-44 kit any good?

It's an old ESCI tool, probably comparable to their other ex-ESCI tools like the Merc G-wagen, Land Rover and Range Rover.  Neat to see it reissued, it's the only 1/24th kit of an FJ/BJ I know of...

27 minutes ago, dbostream said:

s the Toyota Land Cruiser BJ-44 kit any good?

It’s as good as it gets - as in no other kits like it. It’s kind of a simple curbside and the interior, if I remember, doesn’t have side detail. I think the last time one was released was 7 or 8 years ago with a machine gun. 
Its been around a while so lots of photos from the Google machine as needed...

Edited by Erik Smith

25 minutes ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Pretty happy about the street SLC, VERY happy about the street M1. Cruiser, Rover and 190 look tasty too

The street M1 is one I definitely want along w/ the Land Cruiser.  I have the ESCI street SLC....the plain 190 looks interesting...I built the Fujimi 190 2.3-16 back in the day.

Thanks!  That is great news about the Toyota BJ-44.  And with both tops!  The last reissue with the machine gun was called "Armed Pickup," probably to avoid licensing hassles.  Looks like they might have solved that problem.  It had no top, hard or soft.

I built the "Armed Pickup" version as a "technical" used in Beirut during the Lebanese Civil Wars.  It's finished but I don't much like it and am still fiddling with it.

Here are a few issues I dealt with:

1.  The worst part of the kit is the interior, which doesn't have a firewall.  You'll have to make your own with sheet plastic.  This is not such a big deal if you use one of the roofs.  But it's really obvious without the roof; you can see straight into the (empty) engine bay. 

If you want to go a little further, it would be pretty easy to use Evergreen square plastic and build the heater ducting attached to the firewall.

2. There are no brake, clutch or gas pedals.  The seats are pretty nice and the kit has 2 different rear seat options:  a pair of facing bench seats or a single bench seat, facing forward.

The "Armed Pickup" issue of the kit didn't include a speedometer decal for the dashboard.  Earlier versions had that, so I hope Italeri includes it. 

To balance all that out, sorta, exterior details like hinges and emblems are VERY well done.  All the lights have separate clear lenses.

3. The doors are molded to the body and have NO interior detail.  Cutting the doors off is pretty easy, but wait until well in the build before you do that.  The body is very weak without the doors and will break in the middle.  Don't ask how I know that...

4.  If you want to build a BJ-44 "technical," you can go to Shapeways and buy an excellent 1/24 scale M2 machine gun from several vendors.  Shapeways vendors also sell 1/24 scale AK-47s, jerry cans and other useful stuff. 

Edited by Mike999
omit

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

I can also highly recommend their 1/24 Willy MB Jeep. MUCH better than MPC's! 

Is this the same as the 1/4 ton one? What does MB mean? I have been looking for Italeri's 1/4 ton one but seems hard to come by at a reasonable price.

Edited by dbostream

"MB" is the name of the WW2 Willys Jeep, said to stand for "Military type B". Type B because it is the successor to the very small series of "MA" Jeeps which had a grille built of "plattjärn" (don't know the english name so lucky that you are swedish), separate headlights and I think also column mounted shifter.

4 hours ago, dbostream said:

Is this the same as the 1/4 ton one? What does MB mean? I have been looking for Italeri's 1/4 ton one but seems hard to come by at a reasonable price.

I do believe the WWII Jeep was also referred to as a 1/4 ton. At any rate, the Italeri Willys MB is the common WWII military Jeep, known and loved the world over. 

10 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

Oh wow wait what? I didn’t look too close before and thought it was 1:24 again - but 1:12? Very interesting. 

It was already announced in the beginning of last year, but yeah, then we had an annoying virus happening. Italy got struck very hard with the virus, so I can imagine that it pushed back the release a lot.

The Delta should've been released somewhere last year, but I wouldn't be suprised if it now comes in the second half year of this year.

I am very much looking forward for the release though. I think it is the first rather modern hatchback that is being released in 1/12.

• 3 months later...
On 1/25/2021 at 10:50 PM, Mike999 said:

Thanks!  That is great news about the Toyota BJ-44.  And with both tops!  The last reissue with the machine gun was called "Armed Pickup," probably to avoid licensing hassles.  Looks like they might have solved that problem.  It had no top, hard or soft.

I built the "Armed Pickup" version as a "technical" used in Beirut during the Lebanese Civil Wars.  It's finished but I don't much like it and am still fiddling with it.

Here are a few issues I dealt with:

1.  The worst part of the kit is the interior, which doesn't have a firewall.  You'll have to make your own with sheet plastic.  This is not such a big deal if you use one of the roofs.  But it's really obvious without the roof; you can see straight into the (empty) engine bay. 

If you want to go a little further, it would be pretty easy to use Evergreen square plastic and build the heater ducting attached to the firewall.

2. There are no brake, clutch or gas pedals.  The seats are pretty nice and the kit has 2 different rear seat options:  a pair of facing bench seats or a single bench seat, facing forward.

The "Armed Pickup" issue of the kit didn't include a speedometer decal for the dashboard.  Earlier versions had that, so I hope Italeri includes it. 

To balance all that out, sorta, exterior details like hinges and emblems are VERY well done.  All the lights have separate clear lenses.

3. The doors are molded to the body and have NO interior detail.  Cutting the doors off is pretty easy, but wait until well in the build before you do that.  The body is very weak without the doors and will break in the middle.  Don't ask how I know that...

4.  If you want to build a BJ-44 "technical," you can go to Shapeways and buy an excellent 1/24 scale M2 machine gun from several vendors.  Shapeways vendors also sell 1/24 scale AK-47s, jerry cans and other useful stuff. 

Looks like there is a speedometer decal! 

https://www.italeri.com/en/product/2957