Model Cars Magazine Forum

41 Willys Pickup

Modlbldr

So, I started this recently as a test subject for weathering videos I have been checking out. I think it is working out well.

My plan is an abandoned old drag pickup. The owner "upgraded" at some point in the late 60's to a Chevy II. He  pulled a few parts from this ride to recoup some  cash.  The front clip he sold to another racer who wrecked his ride after a hairy run down the strip, making contact with the guardrail.

All I have left is the interior, front suspension, door handles, wheelie bars and chute. 

Right now the chassis and body parts are just sitting together.

Later-

IMG_20210125_145837787.jpg

IMG_20210125_145849897.jpg

IMG_20210125_145909541.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Sorry Mods- I should have posted this in the Drag WIP section.

Later-

I like the weathering on this, it really looks the part. Did you create the bed or was that from the kit ? You might get more attention to your build if you put it under light trucks section if you have to move it. 

Thanks fellas for the interest. Unfortunately it is never a good idea to try posting something while trying to deal with a puppy. I wasn't able to pay attention to where I posted it. Although it may get more coverage in the light truck section, technically it is a drag vehicle.

The bed was a one piece unit molded in yellow plastic but was identical to the multi-piece bed from the kit (which I didn't have at the time)

Later-

1 hour ago, Painted Black said:

Mr. Horsepower is going the wrong way:D

I never even thought of that. Lol!

So, got the interior together. Not putting a seat in this cause the owner used it in his Chevy II. Painted the wheel centers for a bit of contrast. Working on scratching the front suspension. Got to find an axle.

Later-

IMG_20210126_133147963.jpg

IMG_20210127_132424098.jpg

IMG_20210127_131333487.jpg

IMG_20210127_131452036.jpg

IMG_20210127_132343441.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

Definate looks the part. Have you found an engine yet?

No. Haven't started the search. I'm thinking a parts pack engine since it will be missing parts and they have molded internals. I have the Chevy, Ford and Pontiac. Not sure which would be most accurate.

1 hour ago, bismarck said:

That looks really cool!! Perfect survivor look.?

Thanks!

Later-

3 hours ago, Tortuga Kustomz said:

looks super cool, i need to build one of those trucks, if you haven't find the axel let me know, i have one around, i have like 4 of those kits, not going to build them all LOL

Marco's,

Thank you for the kind words and the offer. I found one that should work for me though. Now I am making U bolts for it and looking for a tie rod and pieces.

Later-

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

I found these today in my decal stash. Looks like they can be found in the Monogram 32 Ford roadster- Kit # 2718-0300.

The Mr. Horsepower decals are VERY common. You can find them on lots of different kits. Especially old muscle car kits that come with drag options.

• Like 1