Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is this a crime?

I've got this kit, had it for years. I don't know where I got it but I know it was new. 

The thing is, it's got a beautifully moulded twinspark blown Hemi in it and some huge rear slicks. I'm thinking of pirating them for an outlaw Chevelle or even a Disco Nova! I've just looked on Ebay and there's about six for sale, so it's not a lost treasure, there are a few around, but would it be crime to  split it up?

I'm not a box trader, I believe in building my stuff (eventually) but I would never build this as-is so if it's too precious to split I'll have to move it on. 

IMG_20210126_111854452.jpg

IMG_20210126_114414755.jpg

IMG_20210126_114403356.jpg

IMG_20210126_114439940~2.jpg

IMG_20210126_114455583~2.jpg

Edited by Rockford
Did some homework

Crimes often depend on where you live. I do not know a single law in Liverpool, but my guess would be that there are no laws forbidding pirating parts from a model that is owned by you. There may be places where this is illegal. Now, had you stolen the model and then planned to use the pirated parts in some nefarious plot to enrich yourself immensely at the detriment of the society around you, then that may be illegal in Liverpool.

2 hours ago, Rockford said:

I've got this kit, had it for years. I don't know where I got it but I know it was new. 

The thing is, it's got a beautifully moulded twinspark blown Hemi in it and some huge rear slicks. I'm thinking of pirating them for an outlaw Chevelle or even a Disco Nova! I've just looked on Ebay and there's about six for sale, so it's not a lost treasure, there are a few around, but would it be crime to  split it up?

I'm not a box trader, I believe in building my stuff (eventually) but I would never build this as-is so if it's too precious to split I'll have to move it on. 

IMG_20210126_111854452.jpg

IMG_20210126_114414755.jpg

IMG_20210126_114403356.jpg

IMG_20210126_114439940~2.jpg

IMG_20210126_114455583~2.jpg

You bought and payed for it so you own it, it's yours todo with what ever you so desire. Just post your build here please. 

1 hour ago, Cool Hand said:

Nah, to me it's just a kit and they are just part's

So if you are not going to build the rail, part it out.

Got a top fuel engine in my burnout ute build.

IWfXoCG.jpg

0bcvIdd.jpg

I would appreciate any information you can share on this body or kit. A few years ago I was already to get the promised Pontiac version of the Manero UTE here but we all know what happened to GM so it never came about. I would love to have a kit of one of these.  

2 hours ago, Cool Hand said:

Nah, to me it's just a kit and they are just part's

So if you are not going to build the rail, part it out.

Got a top fuel engine in my burnout ute build.

IWfXoCG.jpg

0bcvIdd.jpg

Thanks Cool Hand, very logical  argument!  Your top fuel  engine appears to be  resin casting of the very engine I'm taking out of the rail kit! All that's missing is the twin magnetos. 

2 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

Crimes often depend on where you live. I do not know a single law in Liverpool, but my guess would be that there are no laws forbidding pirating parts from a model that is owned by you. There may be places where this is illegal. Now, had you stolen the model and then planned to use the pirated parts in some nefarious plot to enrich yourself immensely at the detriment of the society around you, then that may be illegal in Liverpool.

Erik, this displays a tremendous grasp of logic and criminal law! With hand on heart I can swear that I did not purloin said kit in an underhand manner  and therefore am free to  use said kit, or parts thereof, as I so choose. Many thanks for your guidance M'lud. 

51 minutes ago, slusher said:

There just models. There made too enjoy one way or another friend..

31 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

It's never a crime to build what you want. However, it is a crime to leave a kit in a box never to be built.

Thanks lads, I've decided I AM going to use the engine with the awful AMT '76 Nova body with the Lenco trans and narrowed rear that comes with it. I put one of the rear slicks under the arch of the Nova and I was smitten. It's got to be. 

18 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Why not offer it up in the Trade section? If it's rare/desirable, someone will want it enough to swap you something you want more for it. If you don't get any offers, go ahead and part it out. 

Snake, I did consider that but realized that it would be too much of a task in all this lockdown stuff that's going on in the UK, if I can't post it in an envelope it's a bit awkward because I'm in the vulnerable category.

Anyway, as you can see above, I've made a decision (for once). I'm going to take the plunge. I don't do much kitbashing, I tend to build stock with a bit of detailing so this will be a new experience for me! 

Many thanks for giving me your thoughts on the matter though my friend. 

Amateur.  ?  There are collectors, who are afraid to rip off the plastic wrap to even look at the contents, so the kit just sits on a shelf buried in a basement or attic, never to see the light of day.  That sir, is a crime!  You need to step up your game to feel guilty about doing what will bring joy to your life, during this Monty Python and the Holy Grail time.

Here is an example of high crimes and sacrilege, take a historic race car, which I understand is sort of a scarce kit, and kitbash with a historic and more rare museum piece, that is a really rare kit from an extinct manufacturer.  So I don't see what the crime is in your case.  ?
C-111_Resto_Rod.thumb.jpg.162ddff1ce326a94f0780c8faa92cb55.jpg

Yes, it IS a crime. And as soon as you pull the engine out of the kit, the plastic police will come to your house, check the VINs of the engine and the car you put it in to see if they match. If they don't, they will arrest you and confiscate the kits in question and impound them and sell them on Ebay as a penance for your nefarious and evil deeds!

I see a lot of them on Ebay and I'm sure that's how they got there! ??

Well, that's my story anyway. 

Enjoy your criminal activity. We've all done it.

Thanks for the very colourful and imaginative input everyone! Some sparks of sheer genius in those comments (or leaving the top off the liquid cement!). I had the Nova and the rail kits before me this afternoon and I just held a slick in the rear wheel arch and the deal was done ! I am a liberated modeler and shall go forth kitbashing!!!

IMG_20210126_135257120.jpg

Edited by Rockford

Do what you want with it, model kits are meant to be built.
It's not like the Revell modern era Top Fuel kits are rare because they were in production for a long time and the first in the series came in 1991 wich was the Gary Ormsby Castrol GTX and Joe Amato Valvoline cars, the first ones was state of the art when they came, Revell did some slight updates 1996 and 2002 but unfortunately not enough to make them up to date for the time.
The last two in the series the Tony Schumacher US Army and Kenny Bernstein Budweser King cars was issued in 2002 and if they had done the necessary updates to get the kits correct when they were issued the kits would still be right today almost 20 years later except for wheels and some other small things as the evolution of the Top Fuel cars haven't been so drastic like it was in the 1990's and early 2000's, so it started good but they missed it at the end.
This particular kit came in 1992 and the only thing different from the ones up to 1995 are the color of plastic and decals, so they put out a lot of them with different decals under the 11 years they were in production..

Edited by Force

Not to bash anyone that collect models, but to me that is the biggest crime here. Models were meant to be built, to enjoy, have fun with. The first thing I do with a kit is rip off the plastic and look inside. I have no problem spending $200 on a kit and then building it. I have several 1/8th scale kit that I am working on that I spent way too much on and I am still building them. 

I say kit bash away, enjoy them, that is what they are for. 

My only cavate would be, if there is a part from a kit that is crazy hard to replace, maybe resin cast it and use the cast part so you can make more of them and not have to spend crazy money to get more of them.