Model Cars Magazine Forum

3D printed parts issue ?

I built this straight axle car about a year ago using a 3D printed front axle. I brought it out from storage the other day and found that the axle had developed a bend . I assume this is from the axle being to soft and over time it bent with the weight of the car on it. Is this a common problem? I am thinking the next parts I get I will be more selective on their use.

20210126_105914.jpg.3195cbb82ad9c3a6b55e68d741dbe699.jpg

• 2 months later...

that is 3d printed items, you can't buy/make parts with 3d printer and just use it in your models, 3d printed parts its just for making forms not for using on your models, 3d printed parts its fast and cheap to produce and many ppls sell it but its wrong, for complete items its must be maked from special resin, not just 3d printed...

F5F00796-A1CF-4E76-8FDD-550FEECBD767.jpeg.de35a1e8821d6bd23a953b2f0a87b7d2.jpeg

This is a 3D printed figure, probably a gaming piece, I got at GSL in 2015. There was a very good seminar on 3D printing and these were given away as samples.

I couldn’t get a decent pictures of it, but notice it’s changing color. It originally was more like frosted clear plastic but has toned. It’s also sticky.  No doubt deteriorating. The original look is still on part of the base, but most of it is now a solid white.

It has just sat in my display case with my models.  The question is if this would’ve been avoided if it had been painted, or if the paint would’ve come loose over time. Also is it done gassing out or will it continue to deteriorate?

Edited by Tom Geiger

There seems to be a lot of different materials used in 3D printing, many I am not familiar with. I don’t know if styrene is useable in this process. I have come across many 3D printed items not available as resin castings or as styrene parts I would love to have, but I don’ t want to shell out for something that might not last!  Conceivable these parts could be used as masters for reproduction in resin, but that seems like an extra step that not all of us are able to do. Has anyone out there NOT had issues with breakdown, and if so, do you know the material? Painting does not seem to seal the parts to prevent deterioration and there could also be incompatibility issues between regular model materials (styrene, resin). I would like to hear more input from modelers who have purchased these parts and people who do 3D printing. This is such a promising addition for modelers but it seems to have some teething problems.

• I have been 3d resin printing since December 26, 2014. On that day, I posted that print on this forum titled "3d printed LS engine block." On my desk is a glass jar that contains some 35 LaSalle front suspension parts I printed in early 2015. They look the same as I printed them in early 2015. Nothing I have printed over the years show any  deterioration and appear as they did when printed.
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

I have two 4 post lifts that were 3D printed in a medium blue material. If I leave them in the up position, I start to get some sag and splaying of the legs.

Left down, they do ok. I think is basically the rigidness of the base material. I have painted them but I do not think it changes anything. For the price I paid, I am still happy for what they are.

IMG_1323.JPG

Moved in 2.JPG

Moved in right.JPG

12 hours ago, my66s55 said:
  • I have been 3d resin printing since December 26, 2014. On that day, I posted that print on this forum titled "3d printed LS engine block." On my desk is a glass jar that contains some 35 LaSalle front suspension parts I printed in early 2015. They look the same as I printed them in early 2015. Nothing I have printed over the years show any  deterioration and appear as they did when printed.
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

The front axle I had a bending issue with would have been OK if I never used it. The problem was when it was on the model with a bit of stress put on it from the model resting on the springs and the ends on the wheels giving it some upward pressure. I probably could have left it in a jar for years and never had a problem. One of the fellows in my Model Club has started doing some 3D printing and I will ask him about this and see what information I can get on types of plastics to get better results. It may be a matter of cost in material.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/8/2021 at 9:32 AM, Jon Haigwood said:

The front axle I had a bending issue with would have been OK if I never used it. The problem was when it was on the model with a bit of stress put on it from the model resting on the springs and the ends on the wheels giving it some upward pressure. I probably could have left it in a jar for years and never had a problem. One of the fellows in my Model Club has started doing some 3D printing and I will ask him about this and see what information I can get on types of plastics to get better results. It may be a matter of cost in material.

Since it is a straight axle, I would just replace it with a piece of brass tube, or styrene tube with a metal rod inside?