Model Cars Magazine Forum

Classic BMW-Fighting T-Bird, OOB

Faust

Sometimes, it’s the ones that you least expect that surprise you the most. After years of trying to create “BMW Fighters” in the form of the abortive Mustang SVO and Merkur XR4Ti and even Taurus SHO, Ford finally got a hit with the tenth-generation Thunderbird Super Coupes. With slick styling, legitimate (for the day) performance and advanced suspension, the T-Bird SC was as close as any of the Big Three ever really got to competing with Germany and Japan back in the day.

Just like how the T-Bird surprised its rivals, I was blown away that the Revell 1992 T-Bird SC beat out things like the MPC Schwinn Krate and AMT Pinterra to take top spot in my poll a few weeks ago. Surprising people seems to be the SC’s way of doing things! I know I was surprised to find out how good this kit actually is, too! Check out this oft-forgotten kit from the time when Revell US really knew what it was doing, and “daily driver” models were still a thing!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/revell-1-25-1992-thunderbird-sc-coupe-oob/

spacer.png

I worked for two Ford dealerships as a service advisor, assistant service manager, and dispatcher from 1986-1994, so I was privy to driving a lot of these things new off of the truck. First Probe Turbo drive through a swarm of bugs at nearly 100 mph will be a different story to be related later......

Just my opinion, and I was a 5.0 manual Mustang owner at the time, but.....

I found the 87-88 turbo coupe manual pretty amazing. The "Lincoln" suspension with the added travel soaked up the big bumps in the road without fuss. The 2.3L turbo in the higher horsepower version with the manual had plenty of grunt, and was somewhat revvy for an old Pinto engine. Four wheel discs with ABS impressed me as well. Almost bought one. Sister in law did buy a manual one that I enjoyed thoroughly. 

Then came late summer 1988, and we got the 1989 Thunderbird and Cougar 3.8 SCs (we were a dual Ford/Merc dealership). I took one of the first Thunderbirds out for a test drive and was sorely disappointed.  All of the Fox bodied cars had a high, sedan like driving position because they were based on a sedan, the Fairmont. The new 'Bird was more like a Camaro, low and really heavy feeling to me. I guess the BW 5 speed that Ford was using behind the 5.0 wasn't strong enough for the 3.8L SC, so they used a Mazda sourced transmission that was shared with the 4.9L F-150. Yup, it was clunky and shifted like a pickup. The 3.8 SC ran like a tractor and had a low, flat torque curve. No revs, not like a 5.0L or the dearly departed 2.3L turbo. Build quality didn't seem great either, even though Ford was doing a decent job in the mid-late 80s overall in most cases (IMHO).

I have a special place for all of these cars because I was able to enjoy them as new cars, but I don't have fond feelings for the supercharged Thunderbirds and Cougars, other than the ones we sold to the California Department Of Justice that were outfitted as undercover cars. They were fun to get back for service and see the hidden radio units and other law enforcement tweaks. Sometimes they would drop a couple of them off and all go back to work in a Grand National.

Just a note about decals - NC doesn't use or require a front plate.   Both lic plate decals provided are the standard plates we use on the rear of car.    I never built this one as I didn't care for it as much as the Cougar version.   Built that one and a Grand Prix to go with it as my wife at the time liked the GP.   

Thanks for the review, Adam.  

1 hour ago, espo said:

Revell also offered the Cougar version at that time and shared most of the chassis and power train with the Thunder Bird. 

The later Cougar models from Revell dropped the supercharged V6 and provided a 5.0 EFI engine. The 3.8 was a good engine, providing the head gaskets stayed intact. I bought a '90 LS from the wholesale lot at work, and one of my salesmen bought a similar '91 at the same time. I paid $200 more for the '90, because the '90 came with Michelin tires, and had been maintained by our service department. A week and a half after the purchase, the salesman's '91 ate a head gasket and needed engine repair. I drove mine without any mechanical issues for two and a half years, and only sold it when rust became an issue.

Also, I have no idea why it’s an “SC” Coupe.

SC = Super Charged. As in; this is a Thunderbird Super Charged Coupe.

:)

I like this kit. Very nicely detailed. Been half-heartedly looking for one. I have the matching Cougar XR7 kit, so that will tide me over for a while.

There are so many different versions of this one, that it shouldn't be too hard to find. 

I wouldn't think, at least. Mind you, with the Pandemic and Murphy's law, there are probably one around now. 

I have the Cougar too, and it's a nice companion.

An interesting read. It reminded me that I have the 1990 version, it's on my bench as the V6 is going into a Ford Courier.

I'm looking to take pity on the remnants at some point as a either a quick, clean curbside build with alternative wheels, or maybe I'll drop in a Mustang V8. Your review has made me ponder it a little more seriously.

To be honest, I don't see the similarity between the Bird and the Beemer. I see more similarities to an Acura, actually.

I hate those BMWs. There's something weird, to me, about their back ends (too round) and the fronts are cut in oddly. Only Beemer I really like (of more modern ones, that is) is the 850.

That red thing, the little T-Bird K/O is awesome! I want a kit of that!

1 hour ago, Faust said:

To be honest, I don't see the similarity between the Bird and the Beemer. I see more similarities to an Acura, actually.

I can see it around the greenhouse mostly. It's safe to say that a few people were working similar themes.

1 hour ago, Faust said:

That red thing, the little T-Bird K/O is awesome! I want a kit of that!

A quick check of Google didn't find anything, though there were some diecasts available.

s-l500.jpg

Maybe something to ask the folks at Revell Germany about?

On 1/29/2021 at 4:12 PM, Faust said:

There are so many different versions of this one, that it shouldn't be too hard to find. 

A great "daily driver" version is the '92 Cougar XR-7, with the half-vinyl top.  Exactly the car a Swingin' Grandpa would have bought when he retired to Florida, to impress all the hotties hanging around the swimming pool of the condo complex.  Or the former hotties hanging around his retirement home.

The "Low Rider" box art is pretty awful, IMO.  But all the stock parts are lurking inside.  Including a set of the rare XR-7 wheels, which would look good on many modern hot rods.  These kits seem to go for pretty high prices on eBay right now, but patience might fix that.

92 Cougar.jpg

On 1/27/2021 at 10:20 PM, Rodent said:

I found the 87-88 turbo coupe manual pretty amazing. The "Lincoln" suspension with the added travel soaked up the big bumps in the road without fuss. The 2.3L turbo in the higher horsepower version with the manual had plenty of grunt, and was somewhat revvy for an old Pinto engine. Four wheel discs with ABS impressed me as well. Almost bought one. Sister in law did buy a manual one that I enjoyed thoroughly. 

I owned an '87 Turbo Coupe, and can absolutely second what you said Steve, it was one fun and comfortable car to drive, loved it.

Edited by TransAmMike