Model Cars Magazine Forum

Building Block / Mental Blocks........

HELP!!! I've hit a builders block and I can't find the motivation to get started again. I havn't touched my lastest building project in over 6 months. Is this normal ?

Yes. It usually is associated with imagined finished product and the reality of skill level that are unequal due lack of expereicne. The only cure is to build.

after redoing my room i hit a pretty hard one but little by little

That is the beauty of this hobby. You can leave it anytime for as long as you like, and when and if you decide to come back to it, it will be right there and you have to answer to no one.

I have my building blocks when I get to a point in a build that I have a hard time to overcome. I walk away from it, until I sit down and figure my way out. Works most of the time, but not all, as can be seen with the multitude of unfinished projects in my workroom.

Ken "FloridaBoy" Willaman

These periods of lack of motivation are the reason I have 4 or 5 projects going at once. All at different stages. When I am motivated their is always something to do.

If you measure your success by finished models, you can be discouraged. But if you spend time in the hobby just doing what you enjoy, how can that be wrong?

I only finish a few projects a year, but I spend many hours at my work bench completely happy.

If you are unmotivated, do something else. Unless this is how you make your living it is OK.

Hey Kitbash- I'm in the same boat... I have nothing to show for all the hours spent (enjoyed) at my bench for all of 2008. I've made some pretty good progress on a few projects, but nothing has made it to the shelf. All that really matters to me is that I love to be surrounded by my hobby for a couple of hours a week.

Hey Kitbash- I'm in the same boat... I have nothing to show for all the hours spent (enjoyed) at my bench for all of 2008. I've made some pretty good progress on a few projects, but nothing has made it to the shelf. All that really matters to me is that I love to be surrounded by my hobby for a couple of hours a week.

I have had spans like that. Lots of work going on, but nothing to the shelf. However, this year five made it to the shelf in one of my most productive years, in years. That's more that made the shelf than had in the past five years.

HELP!!! I've hit a builders block and I can't find the motivation to get started again. I havn't touched my lastest building project in over 6 months. Is this normal ?

When I get the old'block' i normally go on-line and read the forums or i go researching to get me going on future projects,I love the DTM cars so thats my thing.I go looking for photo's of the engine bays and interiors of the cars for future projects.

I'm not done with it yet, Dually Deora, but at it's present stage it's almost done, but It seem since my last post on it, I've had builders block, like the darn thing has sucked all the imagination right out of me, so I kinda know what you're going thru, I've piddled around with my other build's but not the same, but I enjoy this hobbie alot, every day I work on something, wire'ng, paint an engine, mix kolor's for my next build, come here and see what kool stuff you guy's have started to buld, or built, go online trying to find whare I left my Imagination.

So I guess what I'm saying brother, is we all go thru the block, and like it was stated, we can walk away and it will be here waiting for use to build that next wild ride. so relax, watch the tube, play with the kids, take in a car show, or model show, look thru the latest car magazine, you never know whare the block breaking hammer will be, but rest assured it's out there...

if I can't make progress on an elaborate build I can usually get the juices flowing again by slappin together a good old fashioned snap together or a slammer you use this opportunity to exercise a new skill or just enjoy completing a project in two days if you decide to paint it. good luck and remember to just have fun!

I think that I've found a answer to my blockage. I was at my doctors for a checkup a few weeks ago and I said that I was feeling depressed. She had some tests done on me and one of them came back saying that my testosterone level was low. She said that this is a cause of depression in some men, so she is starting me on a treatment to bring my levels up to normal. Looking back , I think that all the stress from work and my mothers declining health have played a part in this as well. But I'm going to take randxo's advice and do a slammer or a snap kit to get back into the swing again. Thanks for the advice guys , your the best.

Douglas.

I absolutely burned out bad a few years back. I decided one of the reasons I like model cars is conversation starters with other guys. I couldn't justify diecast because there was no activity involved so I started building promo style. This ertl mustang is in some kind of duplicolor. Plan ahead on gluing and paint it a color you would on a full build, then some day you can pop it apart and detail it. If this were an mpc 68 GTO or something you'd be excited to get one in this state. It's at least as exciting as a puzzle and puts cars on the shelf. Only way I build now.

MVC-023S.JPG

MVC-024S.JPG