Model Cars Magazine Forum

Reversed engineered, with improvements

Reversed engineered with improvements

Hello all,

Now that Round-2 has shown, that anything which was in their back-catalog can be made available again provided there's a market for it,  my question to you folks is, what kits would you like to see back and...what would you like to see improved?

My choices*:
- '68 Dodge Coronet, clear headlamp lenses (mpc)
- '72 Plymouth Roadrunner, clear headlamp lenses, and taillamps too. (mpc)
- '69 Mustang, clear headlamp lenses (amt)
- '66 Pontiac Bonneville, clear headlamp lenses (mpc)
- '66 Buick Skylark, clear headlamp lenses (amt)
- '64 Pontiac Grand Prix, clear headlamp lenses (amt)
- '69 Chevy Impala, clear headlamp lenses (mpc)
- '72 Chevy Impala, clear headlamp lenses (mpc)
- '67 Mercury Cougar. (amt)
- '67 Ford Galaxie, clear headlamp lenses (amt)

and last but not least a:

- '76ish Dodge Panel Van,  curbside, emphasizing on dress-up parts and graphics and also adding clear headlamp units. 

May be an image of 1 person

* in no particular order.

Edited by Luc Janssens

AMT 1960 Ford F 100 pickup.  First, would like to see and separate cab and separate bed.  Second, a separate frame with suspension parts. Thirdly,  a correct  stock 292, and lastly, a small back window option. By looking at how much glue bombs sell  consistently  for on ebay ( around 100 bucks ) I say there is a strong market. Great thread idea, hope Round 2 sees it.

Edited by leafsprings

I'd love to see the 32 Ford Sedan from the double kit. I know they have one, it was in the background of one of their pics around the time they showed the hanger shots that had the '64 Cutlass. I have enough parts and glue bombs to build on of these, but I'd love to get fresh plastic. 

s-l1600.jpg

For me, three leap out at me.

'65 Riviera, given the same sort of upgrade as their '66 Riviera.

'35 Auburn Speedster.  & Lincoln Continental.  Ideally, I'd love to see these brought up to the level of even the Monogram classics, but even some less horrible wheels would go a long way towards improving them.

The revell vw golf mk2. While its a decent kit the newer mk1 kits blow them out of the water. Most of the improvements I'd like to see are in the interior and suspension. For example the seat bases are just far too long,  and the front suspension seems to be from something else as its too wide and the rear wheel wells have the interior tub sticking into them which makes lowering them a chore

In addition to the original list :

- 1972-1974 Charger 

- 1972-1974 Barracuda

- 1972-1974 Challenger 

- 1972-1977 Dodge B-Van

- 1974  (+/ -) Chevy Van [ AMT ] with a revised body ( correct roof ; reintroduce the optional side windows / glass ; correct 3/4 tonne steel wheels ) 

17 hours ago, Paul Payne said:

I wish Ertl Collectibles would use the Dodge power wagon tooling to produce a kit- I know die cast tooling is different from injection molding tooling, but at least they could scan it and cut new tooling from 3D models.

Round 2 doesn't have access to the ERTL die cast tooling, ERTL still belongs to Tomy.

I agree with those that desire seeing some '50's thru '60's cars and pickups. While the Chevrolets and Fords as well as many MoPars are out there, what about some Mercury, Big Dodges and even a DeSoto? I would like to see some big  Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles, Buicks and even a Cadillac or two might work.  GM offered four door hardtop wagons in the mid to late fifties, anyone else interested in something along those lines ?     

22 hours ago, Harry Corning said:

A very accurate '70 Chevelle would be nice. All that I've seen have problems with the lines and forms on the sides, though there may be kits I'm unaware of.

The Revell '70 snapper is accurate, although of course it's curbside. 

36 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

The Revell '70 snap Chevelle has very inaccurate quarter panels. 

Huh. I didn't notice/see that when I built mine. Never heard anyone else complain about them, either. :unsure:

Still, gotta be better than the AMT or MPC or Monogram body sides. 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Huh. I didn't notice/see that when I built mine. Never heard anyone else complain about them, either. :unsure:

Still, gotta be better than the AMT or MPC or Monogram body sides. 

Look at the body line above the rear wheel opening. 

On 1/30/2021 at 7:25 AM, leafsprings said:

AMT 1960 Ford F 100 pickup.  First, would like to see and separate cab and separate bed.  Second, a separate frame with suspension parts. Thirdly,  a correct  stock 292, and lastly, a small back window option. By looking at how much glue bombs sell  consistently  for on ebay ( around 100 bucks ) I say there is a strong market. Great thread idea, hope Round 2 sees it.

Yes to that!