Model Cars Magazine Forum

how would you describe this color? flat gold?

16 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

Kevlar yellow/tan/brown

Yes, that is a protective coating of Kevlar over the fuel tanks.  Been a rally staple for years. 

So decals or a mix to match the Kevlar color, add some texture with tissues or hot thinner on the tanks before you paint them. 

i have military color that seems to match pretty close. its lifecolor russian uniform color. it seems really close to me.  i think i will use it. i might try to blend in a darker color to get it better

this is the color

fefc977903b4adc20ac307d5098514100d4c9534

Edited by youpey

11 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

First of all that's a great reference picture.  Yep, Kelvlar, that color above would work.  I would paint black first, the used a fine screen as a mask to simulate the weave.

im going to try this. i painted it black this morning, and once it dries i will try the color above. i have an aquarium net that i am using as my mask. i will post a picture of it once it is done. hopefully it looks good

2 hours ago, Venom said:

My thought is ditch the mesh thing (it’s not noticeable in the real pic), respray the piece in matte black, add a bit more yellow to the color and dilute it down quite a bit and spray it over the black.

Yeah, the mesh pattern is way to coarse for the scale, and the pattern looks nothing like the real Kvlar mesh.

Edited by peteski