Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Big Rig Semi Trailer kit

• 2 weeks later...

I've built this trailer and apart from the spues not being numbered, yet numbered on the instructions:/ it's a great looking kit. I've watched that video of the build when I bought mine and the guy really messed up on the roof and possibly the side panels, not his fault as the instructions really are vague at best, even after I studied the kit very carefully and watched a couple of videos I still messed it up too! The roof and side panels go in a very specific order, otherwise you end up with a huge gap above the rear doors, also the roof and side panel support frame in the centre of the trailer won't fit and you get a sagging roof, that also has to fit in a specific way. The side panels can be fitted either side in any order but there's only one way they are supposed to fit! In other words, all the panels can be fitted together because everything is exactly square and fools you into thinking it's assembled correctly. The mistake I made on mine was on the side panels, the two at the rear are on the wrong sides which left me with a missing rib in the centre of the trailer and the roof support frame is fitted backword inside because of this. Pic below

Model Truck Build 5.JPG

2 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

I've built this trailer and apart from the spues not being numbered, yet numbered on the instructions:/ it's a great looking kit. I've watched that video of the build when I bought mine and the guy really messed up on the roof and possibly the side panels, not his fault as the instructions really are vague at best, even after I studied the kit very carefully and watched a couple of videos I still messed it up too! The roof and side panels go in a very specific order, otherwise you end up with a huge gap above the rear doors, also the roof and side panel support frame in the centre of the trailer won't fit and you get a sagging roof, that also has to fit in a specific way. The side panels can be fitted either side in any order but there's only one way they are supposed to fit! In other words, all the panels can be fitted together because everything is exactly square and fools you into thinking it's assembled correctly. The mistake I made on mine was on the side panels, the two at the rear are on the wrong sides which left me with a missing rib in the centre of the trailer and the roof support frame is fitted backword inside because of this. Pic below

Thanks Gareth, I went ahead and picked up the kit even after watching the video, not sure when I'll get to it but I know now to be very careful.

Maybe I'll tape it all together first to see how it all lines up.

Edited by shoopdog

1 hour ago, shoopdog said:

Thanks Gareth, I went ahead and picked up the kit even after watching the video, not sure when I'll get to it but I know now to be very careful.

Maybe I'll tape it all together first to see how it all lines up.

It's not a bad kit to be honest, it's just let down by very bad instructions. What I did when assembling... although I still got it wrong! was to mark the inside of the panels with different coloured pens to know which panel connected to the right one. Luckily the mistake I made only resulted in a missing centre rib on the side panels. That YouTube video shows how well the parts fit in the wrong places. It's a pretty sneaky kit in that regard!

• 2 years later...

Old post I know !! But if your building this in 2023 if you just picked it up at your local Ollies here is a tip on the instructions.

Parts are not numbered before taking anything off a parts tree check the bottom of the box all the parts are numbered there !

semi trailer_n.jpg

Edited by milo1303s

• 6 months later...

i have built this trailer kit and was very frustrating to put together for a first time trailer build.

But if you take your time you will put it together correctly. i mocked it up wrong several times before i got it right.

As a matter of fact i picked up another one for $9.99 clearanced out at hobby lobby last week