Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO 2021 Elenore The truck Freightliner FLC

This last year I was able to watch "The Great Smokie Road Block". It is a great movie with Henry Fonda. In the movie he has a 1976 KW W925 named Elenore after Elenore Roosevelt.

However, as in the movie "Gone in 60 Seconds" that was remade with a more modern version of the car, I thought I would do a more modern version of the truck Elenore. Someday I may do the W925, but for now I am going to do a Freightliner FLC.

The truck in the movie was white with blue and red stripes. It also had a trailer with matching stripes and a strange addition. The trailer had a full width Sunroof that opened up. It was as wide as the trailer and maybe 10-12 feet long. It slid back to open. Part of the plot of the movie was that there were "working Ladies" in the back and they would open it up while "Elegant John" drove the truck. 

It is a great movie, but not a great example of morality, incase you chose to watch it with family members. 

As for the truck, I have the cab glued together and the frame is glued. The engine is also glued and sitting in the frame to locate the driveshaft. No paint on anything yet as I will be adding some details, wires etc. to the frame and engine. 

I plan to try to match the stripes as close as I can shown in the pictures of the movie truck. The trailer will be the AMT/Italeri new release. 

i040305.jpg

IMG_5472.jpg

IMG_5473.jpg

Well, not much of an update on this one. I spent some time working on the sleeper and the bed. The beds in these always looks so fake and and plastic. I wanted to give it more of a real look. 

I mixed up some Elmers glue, Future Floor polish and water. I used this to spread a tissue down over the plastic bed. This gives it some better effects and it looks more like a blanket that would be in a sleeper. A little paint, and we are done. 

I then assembled the sleeper around it. 

IMG_5475.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, not a lot of progress to report on this build. Still on the fence about the paint/theme. I am really tempted to change to the ERB decals in the trailer kit. Or I may change the trailer/load to something else and build this trailer for my Prostar truck. Somehow I am just not liking this build with the newer cab and trailer. I am thinking I will do Elenore again only with the correct classic truck. 

Anyway, I will post pictures later.

Thats the struggle w building something very special,  if your just not feeling right about it , better to swap and start over later  !  Theres builds ive done that really annoyed me , and I didn't want to finish..eventually ill get back to em

Thats where my squirrels come to the rescue..one inspiration photo and I'm headed off the freeway

Edited by gotnitro?

• 1 month later...

Progress has bee a bit slow on this. However I am almost finished with the trailer. I chose to use some decals from another trailer build I had. These are what was left over after last years Agents of SHEILD truck. They seem to fit this trailer and build nicely. I still need to finish the Thermo-King unit and add the lights, but its getting there.

Right now I am struggling to make progress due to too many real world and scale projects and being gone out of state every week. I am only home on the weekends. 

IMG_5663.jpg

IMG_5664.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a color. Due to many factors, mostly time, I decided to paint it with paint I had on hand. The frame is a Rustoleum Satin Claret Red. The body is Duplicolor Burgandy, from a GM I think. They match a bit too well, I had hoped for a little more contrast between the frame and the body, but I think once I have the decals and a few details it will look better. 

While it does not show up well in these pictures, the paint turned out very nice. 

IMG_5787.jpg

IMG_5788.jpg

IMG_5789.jpg

IMG_5790.jpg

Scott,

Wow ! I love the cab color. And the chassis red is close but not that close.  I think I would have gone with  a graphite or Gun Metal color on the chassis.

That said I am looking forward to seeing what graphics you go with. nice work thus far !

Be Well

Gator

2 hours ago, gatorincebu said:

Scott,

Wow ! I love the cab color. And the chassis red is close but not that close.  I think I would have gone with  a graphite or Gun Metal color on the chassis.

That said I am looking forward to seeing what graphics you go with. nice work thus far !

Be Well

Gator

Yes, it might be worth it to repaint it. I’m thinking the same color as the trailer. That way they would look like they belong together. 

• 3 weeks later...

This is a great looking model... It's amazing how much better the Moebius Great Dane trailer looks on the back of old Italeri trucks than their own (Italeri) trailer models... Because of their trailers (Moebius), I have so many more projects to build, now..... They look great on back of ANYTHING!!! I can't wait to get a decent supply of 48' flatbed trailers from them... 

I agree that gray might have a better effect, contrast wise... Non the less, a fantastic model... Love the decals... I did that on one of mine, as well... They look made for that trailer...

Edited by kilrathy10