Model Cars Magazine Forum

Alfa Romeo 155 V6 Ti Martini

I bought this kit thinking I didn't have it. Then I found it completed, lurking in the back of my display case. Rather than sell it I hunted down an alternate set of decals to do a different livery although it is still a Martini in keeping with my theme. While I was at it, might as well get the carbon fibre set for it too.  Below are the results of some intensive decal and detail work. See captions under the pictures for add details.  It was fun to re-visit this kit. Thanks for looking and comments welcome. 

DSC07190.JPG.d49a20da170f315ab98aff6ef323e727.JPGCompleted engine and front suspension. That carb tray was 7 seperate decals. 

DSC07189.JPG.1336c69e8b830e967eab1fd3db4af2c5.JPG

All the carbon fibre work done and most of the detail painting. Colour on the body is  Gravity Colors Ferrari Nuovo Rosso (GC294mc) 2k clear was used over this. 

DSC07194.JPG.9ed787fc5a4a2891e765bfc638fcc13d.JPG

Interior complete, I added some wires the rest is stock with carbon detailing and painting. 

DSC07195.JPG.118e9c9785b828f1e112dd65e95a50d7.JPG

Completed model on its wheels. Those Martini stripes down the side had to go over a lot of contours. St27 decals are great and respond well to solvent and heat. It was almost fun to do even though it took 3 days.

DSC07196.JPG.bc13025b023f1866461dd82d35014510.JPG

Rear veiw of the car shows its aggreessive nature. 

DSC07197.JPG.c073f148b52ac3744e7cc2d9cf669c4b.JPG

Side view. I  chose to use magnets to hold the hood in place. The hood clip is a piece of electronic wire from a resistor.  Its functional. 

DSC07198.JPG.fed24cebe5449605d97d8aa0e9ae0b7e.JPG

Front clip fit the chassis well but there is still an annoying gap where the hood fits. At least it doesn't fall off every time you pick it up thanks to the magnets. 

DSC07199.JPG.ca5efb3db25674739774b58916e9725e.JPGDecided to take a shot of the undertray since there was some nice detail there. I left it clear. Note the four jeweler screws. These were necessary as the tray wouldn't stay in place other wise. 

DSC07200.JPG.acf3f14718cfcdfe3a546a85232f5966.JPGHad to take a photo of both of them. Now to figure out a way to display them together in the case.  Its kinda full.  

8 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Patience of a saint!  I have that kit in the stash.  Some nice work.

Kurt..thank you for the kind words,  but I am not the only one,  I have seen lots of yours too.  I have lots of extras if you ever decide to do yours. 

6 hours ago, Silver Foxx said:

A great looking build , lots of nice detail work , well done .

Thank you.

4 hours ago, Pete75 said:

Wow! Great work. Amazing carbon detailing👏

Lots of time in front of the heater with a soft brush and solvent. Thank you

3 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Very nice!

Thank you. 

On 2/2/2021 at 10:30 AM, iamsuperdan said:

Both builds look great!

Thank you Dan...about 10yrs seperate those builds.

On 2/2/2021 at 10:44 AM, slusher said:

Both look fantastic!

Thanks

23 hours ago, ewetwo said:

They look great.

Thank you

22 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Impressive builds Rich.  I like what you did with the undertray.

As always Gary, your comments and compliments are greatly appreciated. 

18 hours ago, bbowser said:

Wow!  The engine and interior detailing are top notch, very well done.

Thanks Bruce.

On 2/3/2021 at 12:47 PM, Scalper said:

Great work. that's a lot of carbon decals 

Thank you, it was a lot of work but very rewarding

On 2/3/2021 at 7:05 PM, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!

Thank you

On 2/10/2021 at 5:15 PM, Funkychiken said:

A lovely pair of Alfas!

Appreciate the compliment

On 2/13/2021 at 11:14 AM, Steve H said:

Hi Rich, beautiful builds sir. Very nice work on the carbon decals. I consider myself a fairly experienced builder with average ability, but man, those decals give me fits every time I use them.... 

Cheers, Steve

Steve,  I ave a very small, (about 500watts) desk top heater that i work in front of. Use a wet nylon brush and  solvent to slowly shrink those decals down. The heat really helps as sometimes they shrink right before your eyes. That makes it sorta fun. Tedious too, but still fun.. Keep at it and one day you will master it too. 

15 hours ago, Dave Van said:

GREAT work....I kinda feel that is the best fitting kit ever made......

Dave..I am a huge fan of Tamiya.  Probably 40% of the some  800+  finished pieces in my collection are Tamiya. Since this is a revisit of the same kit I was able to correct some of the issues I had with the first one. I do sorta agree that it was a well engineered kit and the issues were few...but there were still issues. I recently finished a 1/24 GR Supra (it was in the model cars section) and I might pick that one for fit and finish. It was a recent release and Tamiya just keeps getting better and better. Thank for the compliment BTW..I appreciate it. 

21 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Thank you, it was a lot of work but very rewarding

Thank you

Appreciate the compliment

Steve,  I ave a very small, (about 500watts) desk top heater that i work in front of. Use a wet nylon brush and  solvent to slowly shrink those decals down. The heat really helps as sometimes they shrink right before your eyes. That makes it sorta fun. Tedious too, but still fun.. Keep at it and one day you will master it too. 

Thanks for the tips! 

46 minutes ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Dave..I am a huge fan of Tamiya.  Probably 40% of the some  800+  finished pieces in my collection are Tamiya. Since this is a revisit of the same kit I was able to correct some of the issues I had with the first one. I do sorta agree that it was a well engineered kit and the issues were few...but there were still issues. I recently finished a 1/24 GR Supra (it was in the model cars section) and I might pick that one for fit and finish. It was a recent release and Tamiya just keeps getting better and better. Thank for the compliment BTW..I appreciate it. 

I build a lot of 50's and 60's era race cars....many from old annual kits. So this Tamiya kit is worlds away from the fit and finish of these old kits! Kinda POV.

A Q for you. This kits is the same kit with slight mods correct??? Or is it a different kit altogether? Thanks!

ALFADTM1.JPG

22 hours ago, Dave Van said:

I build a lot of 50's and 60's era race cars....many from old annual kits. So this Tamiya kit is worlds away from the fit and finish of these old kits! Kinda POV.

A Q for you. This kits is the same kit with slight mods correct??? Or is it a different kit altogether? Thanks!

ALFADTM1.JPG

Dave..that is one smokin build. The kits are similar but not the same. The wing,nose vents, mirrors, window surround, hood attachment, side aero panels roll bar and probably some others are different. Is this a Tamiya kit. Must be an earlier version. 
Thanks for posting it. You did a great job. 

• 4 weeks later...