Model Cars Magazine Forum

Conley 1/4 scale Shelby Cobra

Beautiful but some people have way too much time on their hands.  I sold my “real” Factory Five 1:1 replica for less than half of that asking price and I could drive it.  This 1:4 model  will probably end up in the Shelby Collection in Colorado.

Conley's website lists a V-8 engine alone at over $8000, for a non-supercharged version.

It seems these things were always expensive.  From the Conley website (inactive?):

1/4 Scale COBRA

Quick change four link rearend - Four wheel hydraulic disc brakes with dual master cylinder - Custom ball joints with grease fittings-Replica Hallibrand wheels with Goodyear style tires and knock-offs - Oil filled shocks - Stainless steel exhaust- Leather interior- Burled walnut dash with simulated gauges -Fiberglass body (non finished)- Completely assembled chassis.

Base Price: $5,895.00 (less engine)
Ready-to-run car start at: $13,995.00

The molds for their 427 and V-10 engines were lost in a foundry fire.

An assembled Shelby 427 sold at an RM/Sotheby's auction for just under $30000 in 2015.

Also, I wonder why the OP didn't include the eBay auction link.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Home-Improvement-Tool-Time-Conley-Precision-1-4-Scale-65-AC-Cobra-Rare-Cool-/174616286291

Now I see the that this was the personal property of Gary Conley, the manufacturer.

So that provenance is worth a couple of bucks extra?   :-)

Many, many years ago Gary Conley had a T bucket with his supercharged motor plus a number of motors on stands displayed at the Chicago Hobby Trade Show (don't remember if it was even called RCHTA back then) They were very impressive to see and hear running. Wish I could post something but that pre-dated smartphones and only have film images.

I'd rather have a 1-1 kit car for that kind of money.

Same problem here. Years ago I went to a place in Orange County California called Dayons House of Cobras. They had a nice complete red one for a good price. I had planned on taking a home equity loan for 25,000 to buy the car. After trying to get in it by sitting on the body and sliding in and then seeing how close the pedals were in the foot box I decided against it. Still love Cobras but have given up the dream of having one.

The foot box has been a problem for many cars I liked......

Lotus Europa JPS tiny foot box not made for size 13 feet!

Plymouth Prowler pedals to close together

Have not sat in a Factory 5 but now I have a prosthetic left leg and do not fit in anything small!!  Still cool to look!