Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
doorsovdoon

1980 Plymouth Volare by MPC

Recommended Posts

This is, or was, rather "The Fuzz Duster" by MPC. It can be built as a stock Volare or Road Runner R/T. It has the right parts in there but unfortunately none of the right decals for a good looking R/T. So I built it as a mid 80's student's car who can't afford the new Olds 442 or the Regal T-Type, but he's a wizard with the spanners, has vision, and knows his way around a paint booth, and has an eye for style! So when this down at heel 1980 Volare popped up for sale he knew all it would take is a little imagination, a bit of time and a good 80's ballad on a ferric C-90 to bring it bang up to date, Lol. Great little kit this one, I really enjoyed it. The solid plastic Goodyear tyres are from the kit but the rims are '66 Buick Wildcat custom option. I also modified the front bumper extension to bring the bumper closer in. Sorry for the different lighting in the pictures, weather is still rubbish here and my camera is the one who decides when the flash is needed! xD

20210203_213513.JPG

20210203_213540.JPG

20210203_213913.JPG

20210203_213700.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great work on the Volare and the color striping looks so appropriate for the era. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enjoyed seeing the wip of this build and how you went about piecing all the details together, well done Gareth you captured the 80's style perfectly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sweet 80s! The shiny tires fit the era where shiny detailer was all the rage! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I swear Gareth, sometimes I think you and I are somehow tapped into the same hive mind or something. This past Sunday I dug this kit from the back of the stash, spread it out on the bench and gave it a good study. Thinking that I had never seen one built up, I decided to bump it up in the queue and that it must be done in full-on, late 80s, day 2 fashion.

Your Volare is superb! The paint is fantastic. As always, your eye for detail is stellar. Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another beautiful looking build. This should be the box art for this kit and I'll bet they would sell a lot more of them than they did. I also followed your build and like how you worked out the color scheme. You had mentioned the bumpers extending way out, welcome to the USA required 5 mph bumpers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BeakDoc said:

I swear Gareth, sometimes I think you and I are somehow tapped into the same hive mind or something. This past Sunday I dug this kit from the back of the stash, spread it out on the bench and gave it a good study. Thinking that I had never seen one built up, I decided to bump it up in the queue and that it must be done in full-on, late 80s, day 2 fashion.

Your Volare is superb! The paint is fantastic. As always, your eye for detail is stellar. Cheers!

Well, get that mix tape out and start building in true 80's action montage fashion, haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, espo said:

Another beautiful looking build. This should be the box art for this kit and I'll bet they would sell a lot more of them than they did. I also followed your build and like how you worked out the color scheme. You had mentioned the bumpers extending way out, welcome to the USA required 5 mph bumpers.  

Yea, the bumpers seemed to get worse and worse as the decade went on. I seen a video on YouTube where they were testing the 5 mph bumpers on an early 70's Buick, might have been an Oldsmobile I cant remember, but the front grill was part of the bumper which give the front end a much cleaner look. Cars like the Pinto and Vega looked like they had treadplate steps fitted to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, doorsovdoon said:

Yea, the bumpers seemed to get worse and worse as the decade went on. I seen a video on YouTube where they were testing the 5 mph bumpers on an early 70's Buick, might have been an Oldsmobile I cant remember, but the front grill was part of the bumper which give the front end a much cleaner look. Cars like the Pinto and Vega looked like they had treadplate steps fitted to them.

We used to call them "Cow Catchers". The background on this term goes all the way back to the early steam engine trains in the US. In the 1800's era as the rail system here was extending further west they were laying the rails across open grazing lands with a lot of live stock and Buffalo still running loose. They put these large bumpers that extended several feet beyond the front of the trains that would push aside wondering live stock and if speed was involved they were designed to deflect the often injured or deceased carcass. Thus the term "Cow Catcher"   Got to love history. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2021 at 6:32 PM, doorsovdoon said:

20210203_213608.JPG

20210203_213635.JPG

20210203_214052.JPG

20210203_214158.JPG

I bought this 1978 Volare Fun Runner new back then. Super Six with all the Road Runner glitz! Great Car!!!!1616408360_1978PlymouthVolare.jpg.b34035338995d2b4fdb7a63914271e0a.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Vietnam Vet67 said:

I bought this 1978 Volare Fun Runner new back then. Super Six with all the Road Runner glitz! Great Car!!!!1616408360_1978PlymouthVolare.jpg.b34035338995d2b4fdb7a63914271e0a.jpg

Beautiful! One of the colours I was contemplating was similar to that, called Aztec Bronze.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice- that really looks the part!

I knew of a guy in my high school in the mid-80's that just happened to drive a Dodge Aspen 2-door in the same colors, so you nailed it as a period piece!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...