Model Cars Magazine Forum

jeep wrangler recall - terrible fix concept

One of the reasons I will never own another Heep. Had a Grand Cherokee that went thru four fuel pumps (They did cover three under warranty). My local mechanic found that the fuel tank had a lining that was flaking off into the gas and ruining the fuel pumps. Jeep would not replace it, so I had a new one installed and sold the car. It also cracked the exhaust header after warranty. Never again!    

I own a manual JL Wranger, this is the 2nd Clutch recall, and its for the same issue. the clutch gets overheated. Other then the clutch recalls its been excellent. more reliable then the Toyota Tacoma it replaced. which went through 2 fuel pumps, and about 10 o2 sensors before Toyota Finally replaced the full exhaust under warrantee 

My wife has a manual 2014 JK Wrangler and has had no issues with the clutch. It has never been upgraded or off-roaded in any way.I discovered when changing the diff fluid that the spider gears in the rear end had lost some teeth. The dealer repaired it under warranty thankfully.

Edited by NOBLNG

This is a real surprise to me and makes me wonder just how much of this is actually driver error. We have an '09 Wrangler with a manual 6-speed with just over 104k miles and still on the original clutch. For those that may not be that familiar with these vehicles I do realize that in this case it's not a direct comparison. The new JL Wranglers have the 3.6 Engine and there may be some design differences between the clutch used and the clutch with the 3.7 Engine that is used in our JK Wrangler. That Jeep would put inferior or defective clutch setups in their new JL's doesn't  sound right to me based on my ownership experiences and how these vehicles preform in some of the most inhospitable conditions that most can't even imagine. Lest someone may think that our JK is a garage queen and hasn't seen any type of sever use need to realize that our JK has been in many Off Road  events some sanctioned by the Jeep Jamboree group along with several other local events as well as some week long ventures on our own above the tree line in Colorado above the Denver area. Climbing several creek beds, water falls, and rock crawls with only the blue sky visible thru the windshield at over 12k feet altitude. There have been times when even in 4wd low in the transfer case we still had to ride the clutch to get over some obstacles and never had the clutch slip or over heat. My thought is that Jeep is being forced to compensate for operator error. 

40 minutes ago, espo said:

My thought is that Jeep is being forced to compensate for operator error. 

That could be. The first time I drove off road was in my Buddies CJ-5 in the rocky area east of here. He kept giving me heck for keeping my foot on the clutch pedal when driving. Just the weight of your foot on the pedal may reduce the contact pressure of the clutch. I’m not sure if the newer hydraulic styles are as touchy?

1 minute ago, NOBLNG said:

That could be. The first time I drove off road was in my Buddies CJ-5 in the rocky area east of here. He kept giving me heck for keeping my foot on the clutch pedal when driving. Just the weight of your foot on the pedal may reduce the contact pressure of the clutch. I’m not sure if the newer hydraulic styles are as touchy?

I think just about any contact with the clutch pedal , especially with a Hydraulic Clutch, this could happen. Your friends CJ with the monkey linkage would also put pressure on the Throughout Bearing and that was often the part that would start to wear out even before the clutch on older manual transmission setups. Some of the first signs of a Throughout Bearing going out would be a slight pulsing  felt under light foot pressure on the clutch pedal followed by rattling noises when using the clutch as the bearing got worse. I think most clutch problems are caused by drivers that aren't accustom to driving a manual transmission setup. 

6 hours ago, espo said:

This is a real surprise to me and makes me wonder just how much of this is actually driver error. We have an '09 Wrangler with a manual 6-speed with just over 104k miles and still on the original clutch. For those that may not be that familiar with these vehicles I do realize that in this case it's not a direct comparison. The new JL Wranglers have the 3.6 Engine and there may be some design differences between the clutch used and the clutch with the 3.7 Engine that is used in our JK Wrangler. That Jeep would put inferior or defective clutch setups in their new JL's doesn't  sound right to me based on my ownership experiences and how these vehicles preform in some of the most inhospitable conditions that most can't even imagine. Lest someone may think that our JK is a garage queen and hasn't seen any type of sever use need to realize that our JK has been in many Off Road  events some sanctioned by the Jeep Jamboree group along with several other local events as well as some week long ventures on our own above the tree line in Colorado above the Denver area. Climbing several creek beds, water falls, and rock crawls with only the blue sky visible thru the windshield at over 12k feet altitude. There have been times when even in 4wd low in the transfer case we still had to ride the clutch to get over some obstacles and never had the clutch slip or over heat. My thought is that Jeep is being forced to compensate for operator error. 

Even in the FWD trim, the 3.6l has a lot more power than the 3.7l in the Liberty or Grand Cherokee or the 3.8l like used in the minivans and early JK Wranglers, that could be some of it, plus the open Jeeps just keep getting bigger and heavier compared to the CJ, YJ, and TJ/LJ Wranglers.  I wouldn't be shocked if the clutches were under spec for the abuse the rest of the truck can heap on those items, my 200 had tires on it from the factory that were barely up to the power that the 2.4l put out when back by the 4 speed auto let alone the 3.6l and 6 speed with it's low 1st gear and Dad's Grand Caravan will light up it's front tires from a dig at will. A now former Chrysler mechanic I follow on YouTube and Instagram (open his own garage) had a Promaster with the 3.6l and 6 speed that grenaded a CV joint at the left front wheel that he had to repair when still at the dealership.