Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bob Glidden Fairmont

lordgodbob

Here we go! About to start my “holy grail” build of my favorite race car ever, Bob Glidden’s undefeated Fairmont. Got my resin body and a bunch of detail items from Scott at Futurattraction. Decalsfrom Slixx, donor kit from eBay, and I’ll start it when I get a couple more in-process builds off my bench...I have too many underway! 

FA4693CF-2FD8-4372-B711-D402E5370774.jpeg

255E63EB-82C2-48FA-B415-1D522978D850.jpeg

940B0E38-0695-49B2-9D1E-2D9A412BA269.jpeg

5EBE4657-68C7-4CE6-ABC8-12C4AE503426.jpeg

C03F89CA-11E5-4B9A-95A5-BD5685BB2DFB.jpeg

43CAFF5D-569D-4B47-97C6-EA046C638C22.jpeg

A5810910-32A8-4EA1-BD83-0FEB41067A4A.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Len Woodruff said:

Nice. I will be watching too. Need to get mine started to do the Dyno Don version.

Well, I’m sure I’ll make a couple mistakes that we can both learn from! I may do Bob’s other Fairmont if this goes well...and maybe Animal Jim’s Zephyr!

4 hours ago, Zen said:

Very nice, can't wait to see some of this build. 

Wondering what parts from the Tbird are used for this build?

Yeah, I’m figuring out they very few parts from the Thunderbird are needed. I’ll be using the front frame and suspension, rear end, some other miscellaneous  parts...I probably had all of that in my parts bin, but that’s ok, I am using the gold wheels on another project, and I can always use Pro Stock parts....

• 2 weeks later...

I swore I wouldn’t do anything super detailed again after I did the MegaFord, but I HAVE to put some extra effort into this one...

I’m doing it in bits and pieces, I usually get in a rush, so I’m trying to avoid that!

valve covers with Alclad chrome (my first time using it, I think I didn’t do enough prep) and detail master wing bolts. 
I took the out-of-the-box intake and hollowed it out to look more realistic.

painted and decaled the oil pan

painted the block

Next thing I think I’ll do is mock up the cage so I can build an engine plate 

92474DFD-8F8F-4E95-8B94-3BB27D977F93.jpeg

423E55E8-CE99-44EE-882B-7FC52751D49A.jpeg

3123292B-3001-4C5F-A82D-79A8A7E6A0B5.jpeg

89B64D84-019F-4A16-8803-3576BB84DF79.jpeg

A2AB37B4-376F-456D-8E47-A89706B7F7D9.jpeg

888A4167-476F-45FB-9FDE-9A11586D9F44.jpeg

8D707F7E-9A36-4513-98F1-DC1A298D10CC.jpeg

B0A118F0-6ED0-4E85-B05D-CF937785CFFE.jpeg

Edited by lordgodbob
Typo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

At the urging of Scott from futurattraction I tracked this magazine down on eBay, it’s going to be a HUGE help with this build.it’s got a great feature on the new Fairmonts of Glidden and Nicholson. I had been able to find zero pics of the interior and only terrible pics of the engine, but now I have much more to go on!

E1C29A82-5102-49DE-BABC-055D670D1CB2.jpeg

8 hours ago, lordgodbob said:

At the urging of Scott from futurattraction I tracked this magazine down on eBay, it’s going to be a HUGE help with this build.it’s got a great feature on the new Fairmonts of Glidden and Nicholson. I had been able to find zero pics of the interior and only terrible pics of the engine, but now I have much more to go on!

E1C29A82-5102-49DE-BABC-055D670D1CB2.jpeg

Hey Tim, Please don't be afraid to share scans of the articles?? One of Scott's Glidden Fairmonts is on my short list also...

The magazine article is a great help indeed and the inside centerfold poster feuturing both cars is great. One interesting fact, the back fenders wheel arch flare have to be shave down, I did it to my 78 Glidden car model for more accuracy, Scott (Futurattraction) did a magnificen work on this body of the Fairmont and all accesories, is a easy modification. The Dyno Don car appear to have used the stock flare style at some point since I recall seeing pictures of the car with both looks...unlike the Glidden 78 Fairmont that stayed the same the whole season.

Also, some great photos of the 1978 Glidden Fairmont have been posted at different Glidden/ vintage pro stock groups, some where taken by fans back in the day and never published before, I downloaded some of the more interesting ones for visual info and background research for my model project.

I would add that you need to be careful about how much confidence you place in the authenticity of some of the replica cars out there.  There is a very nice looking version of his '78 car that I'd bet my life savings isn't his restored original car, but a look alike.  It has too many details that don't match Bob's car to suit me.  If it is his original '78 car, then its restoration is all wrong, IMHO.

Edited by futurattraction

This build is not my cup of tea, but I will follow along and learn more about prostock cars. That’s how I’ve expanded my horizons, ya never know.. I’ve built two modified stockers!

I’m amazed at the collective knowledge of obscure subjects that this board possesses!

9 hours ago, futurattraction said:

I would add that you need to be careful about how much confidence you place in the authenticity of some of the replica cars out there.  There is a very nice looking version of his '78 car that I'd bet my life savings isn't his restored original car, but a look alike.  It has too many details that don't match Bob's car to suit me.  If it is his original '78 car, then its restoration is all wrong, IMHO.

Are you talking about the one with the polished wheels and the Christian fish on the front fender? Yeah, I don’t think that car looks right either...

Exactly!  The wheels are polished.  I never once remember seeing polished S/Ts on that car.  The stance, while close, doesn't look low enough in the front; it's got the wrong hood scoop (rear/upper portion of scoop top tapered down), but the biggest discrepancy is that IF it's his original car, then the quarter panels have been replaced, because the stock-appearing bulged/flared wheelwell openings are on this car and his '78 car had most, if not all, of that bulge removed, plus the wheelwell openings on his original car were more oval shaped.  Notice that the "restored" car conceals part of the upper rear wheel, whereas if you look at any '78 vintage pictures of his car (see attached image), you'll see that the entire rear wheel is visible and a bit of the tire sidewall.  The restored car, I just noticed this morning, doesn't appear to even have a 351C in it!  I can't make out what it is.  It looks like front distributor, but if my eyes aren't deceiving me, there are three upper valve cover bolts, which doesn't fit with a Cleveland or 385-series engine.  I dunno about that one!

78fairmont_ps_glidden_indy78-vi.jpg