Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bob Glidden Fairmont

lordgodbob

On 3/17/2021 at 7:50 AM, Tom Geiger said:

This build is not my cup of tea, but I will follow along and learn more about prostock cars. That’s how I’ve expanded my horizons, ya never know.. I’ve built two modified stockers!

I’m amazed at the collective knowledge of obscure subjects that this board possesses!

I agree, the level of knowledge on the cars we love is amazing. I do, however, find that to be a double edged sword at times. It makes for some amazing builds, full of details only a purist would recognize, and it also invites criticism disguised as “helping” from people who know more about a particular subject than you do. I quit posting about a build because I got some uninvited corrections that made me just not want to talk about it. 
this thread has been informative and helpful, without a doubt, but some I see have not been quite so encouraging.

Edited by lordgodbob
Typo

On 3/17/2021 at 7:50 AM, Tom Geiger said:

This build is not my cup of tea, but I will follow along and learn more about prostock cars. That’s how I’ve expanded my horizons, ya never know.. I’ve built two modified stockers!

I’m amazed at the collective knowledge of obscure subjects that this board

double posted somehow, sorry!

Edited by lordgodbob
Double posted

1 hour ago, futurattraction said:

I'll do whatever I can to offer suggestions, but I have very few critical bones in my body, so I don't think I'll say anything that can be misconstrued as truly critical. :)  What you've seen, so far, is pretty much what you'll get.

Scott, just do you know, zero of what I was saying was directed at you! You’ve been nothing but helpful...

The best way to replicate as best and accurate as one can these vintage cars is to use vintage material showing the car at their time of use, restorations and "tribute cars" usually can not be used as a guideline for details because alterations or modifications. I never ever say my models are "exact" replicas of the actual cars they represent...some details and or specifications may be incorrect or not in "timeframe"...well that is ok with me to a point, but I do try my best to do as close as possible to the car real details and specifications, because I enjoy the challenge.

The posted 1978 Glidden Fairmont in my opinion is not the real car, just look at the rear fender wheel opening and molded/stamped arch flare, the Glidden car did not have this and is clearly seen in pictures of the car...including the two posted by a gentleman showing the car fresh from paint and assembly and still not a single decal/sponsor added to the body yet...so from the beginning the car did not had this, you can also clearly see it in the magazine article.

I very good friend of mine, who had quite a knowledge of these eras pro stock cars, told me that the real undefeated Fairmont was destroyed in a transport accident, but never fully confirmed...others say it was sold and converted to a "private pro stock car"..then stored for years ( seems it was painted in yellow and other colors)...then "rediscover" and "restored"...but I don't know what in the end is real or not.

So your best bet is only to use visual info from the era, A LOT of photos of this car have come forward from people who took the photos in 1978 with personal cameras, some where even Bob G. friends and employees.

• 3 weeks later...

Can we talk for a minute about how awesome this engine from Futurattraction is?? 
I’ve done no weathering, no real detailing yet (other than wing bolts on one valve cover) and it looks amazing. If you are thinking of buying one, you can’t go wrong! 
starting to see some actual progress on this one, I have been so worried about mucking it up that I’m going very slowly...

812B111C-63D2-4087-8267-E111C3D180F9.jpeg

AF6F1918-1E4F-4C70-BB8F-E8405A83BAE6.jpeg

0EAC55F1-839D-477E-9128-832D9039799B.jpeg

• Like 1