Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tips for Building in New Climate

I am moving from Southern California where it is 120 in the Summer and 0% humidity most of the year, to North Carolina, where it rains all the time and 100% humidity isn't abnormal. What kind of adjustments will I need to make for spray painting, airbrushing, etc.? I have experienced a lot of issues with paint drying too fast, cobwebbing, etc. Hoping that this will change with the new climate. Just looking for some tips and info 

Not sure what you may need...possibly a food de-hydrator converted to a paint dryer?  There is a lot of info on this subject in the sticky in the Q&A section. I’m sure someone from your new area will chime in.

Edited by NOBLNG

I live just outside Charlotte. Painting in the summer can be brutal if you have to paint outside but drying too fast will certainlynot be an issue. It doesn't really matter for flat colors but if I'm painting something shiny in the summer I try to shoot it around mid day, the humidity is way too high in the morning and late afternoon. Another thing I've done is try to batch paint bodies in the winter on nice dry days. This worked better before winter turned into monsoon season around here.

It's really going to depend on your setup and where you paint as much as anything. 

On 2/7/2021 at 2:45 AM, Fat Brian said:

I live just outside Charlotte. Painting in the summer can be brutal if you have to paint outside but drying too fast will certainlynot be an issue. It doesn't really matter for flat colors but if I'm painting something shiny in the summer I try to shoot it around mid day, the humidity is way too high in the morning and late afternoon. Another thing I've done is try to batch paint bodies in the winter on nice dry days. This worked better before winter turned into monsoon season around here.

It's really going to depend on your setup and where you paint as much as anything. 

To add to what Brian said (he and l live about 20 miles apart), its all about where you are painting. If you are in a garage, you can influence the conditions somewhat. Let us know where you are moving to and it will help us guide you. 

While the weather will be an adjustment, hope you like living here. Rarely gets to 100 degrees, but what I like to call "Gold Bond" weather takes some adjusting to.