Model Cars Magazine Forum

Show us your cat!

Venom

No pix, but my cat's been camping in the laundry room for the last year. I don't let him out anymore, 'cause there's too much traffic, too many loose dogs and coyotes, and some just plain evil people who have mutilated a couple of my ferals and left them to die. Yes, really. One with an arrow through his neck.

Anyway, my cat has a nice view of the back yard through sliding glass doors, and a few months back, one of his feral offspring (who I feed on the front door) started to visit him and hang out on the other side of the glass. They'd try to rub against each other, and try to rub noses. And she'd sometimes sleep on the step next to the door, with my cat asleep inside.

I've never seen cats behave like this before. But recently, the three kittens from her last litter, my cat's grandkids, (weaned now, and getting big) have started hanging around on the step out there too, just keeping my cat company.

Anyone else ever see feral cats develop a relationship with an indoor cat?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cobraman said:

...Sometimes an outside cat would come by and they would just hiss at each other. Quite different than with your cat.

There actually is one big male who'll stop by occasionally, and he and Spot will yowl and hiss, but he goes on about his way, and a little later, the others will be outside rubbing on the glass.

6 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

and some just plain evil people who have mutilated a couple of my ferals and left them to die. Yes, really. One with an arrow through his neck.

I would be serving a life sentence for premeditated murder if I caught some worthless "human" doing that to ANY domestic animal, especially one which I was close with.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Anyone else ever see feral cats develop a relationship with an indoor cat?

My cat Buddy (1986-1992) made friends with not only feral cats, but the neighbourhood cats and raccoons and possums. 

I've seen in nature where Mountain Lion queens will 'adopt' orphaned Mountain Lion kittens into her brood. There's a great - albeit heartbreaking - documentary about the Wind River Mother, and trials, tribulations, and lovely moments with her three kittens (two males, one female). Here's the link to that (short) documentary:

Video -The Secret Life of Mountain Lions - WildFutures

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

I would be serving a life sentence for premeditated murder if I caught some worthless "human" doing that to ANY domestic animal, especially one which I was close with.

If I knew for certain who it was, that would be one thing. But I've never seen any of my neighbors with any kind of bow.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

If I knew for certain who it was, that would be one thing. But I've never seen any of my neighbors with any kind of bow.

I get that -- I would have to actually witness the a-hole doing it (that's if I couldn't get to them before the act was committed). I wouldn't go off of hearsay -- I'm not that insane.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Vintage AMT said:

Guess you could say he's our cat, been hanging around most of the summer:D

095.JPG.1a6ff6802338e94a30cf0b5523b20026.JPG

OMG, some people dream of going to Bonneville, have a hot rod, fine. My dream is to see a free Lynx. Where in the world do you live ?

4 hours ago, Ulf said:

OMG, some people dream of going to Bonneville, have a hot rod, fine. My dream is to see a free Lynx. Where in the world do you live ?

In East Tennessee, they pretty common here, just rarely see them in the daytime. First time I saw him, he was taking a nap under the back of my truck..

• Like 1

Well my ex gf and i had four cats.The first one we called Mommy Girl.I never really liked cats too much.She became my cat after a friend of mine came to NY from Florida for a visit,and look for a new job..She wound up staying in my apartment with her cat.The cat was a Calico who was original name was Rory,from i think a character on the Gilmore girls..IDK.However my friend was killed in a car accident when she was hit head on by a drunk driver..Anyway,I guess i sort of adopted Rory.I never had a cat for a pet,just reptiles,like my Iguana which,of course I named Iggy.Ok,jump ahead about three years,and I got a new job,where i met my ex gf.We decided we would get a house together to rent.And certainly Rory moved in with us.Rory was the sweetest cat i’ve ever seen,never hissed at anyone,scratched or anything.We then got another cat from a shelter..I always thought it would be cool to have a black cat.So i adopted a short haired jet black kitten i named Cole.Once Cole was old enough,he and Rory had two kittens,one still born,and another short haired black kitten,that my ex named Casey.She was a runt,and even fully grown,she looked like a kitten.Ok now we had a little cat family.A few years later ,myself,my ex,and my feline family,although small,all moved again.Shortly after Casey was born,i had Cole fixed.Again,jump ahead a bunch of years,my ex and i took in another stray black kitten.They took a little while to get use to each other,but then they were fine.Then my ex and i split up.I took Rory,aka Mommy girl,Cole,and Casey,and she took the stray.However a couple of years later,Cole died suddenly, and to this day,i don’t know why he died so young.I buried him in my parents back yard.He was only about 7,or 8 years old.Then sometime later,Rory got cancer,and i eventually had to put her down.Also very upsetting.Although she was about 18,or 19 years old,so she lived a long happy life.I had her cremated and have an urn with her ashes on my shelf.And then once more,heartbreaking news,Casey got lung cancer,so i had to put her down,and had her cremated.I don’t have any pictures of Cole or Casey,at least none that i can find.Rory was the only one i had pictures of.Although Cole looked a lot like Brian’s cat(above),Blackie,and Casey looked like a miniature version of Cole..Wow,sorry for the LONG story.They were all just great cats,and as sappy as it sounds,to this day,I still miss them all..RIP guys.

3B7E66CC-02C5-460F-947C-38EB1668E1FF.jpeg

170BEC0D-E8EB-4EF1-A356-66B96FC0A0A0.jpeg

75260073-1F97-4D5E-B692-68692B1676E3.jpeg

82A1FA7C-8332-4245-8168-21E62B2CA459.jpeg

4A687852-F396-4782-AD85-E3A3A40AA668.jpeg

F4298367-10C0-4CCA-9BC8-D7A723455286.jpeg

DAFE3B4F-73FC-4771-A587-EADE9184C047.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TonyK said:

A very nice and interesting story.

Lol,thanks man,ah,i just miss my cats.i guess.I Never thought i would say that.It’s weird,growing up,i could never have a cat because my mother had a extreme phobia against cats.No one knew why,including her.