Model Cars Magazine Forum

time to get rid of stuff

So recently, I've been dealing with my hoarder mother and it's made me look at my own "hoard" - model cars.   I have 2 storage buiuldings with stuff in them that I'llprobably never finish or have time to start.  I think I want to get rid of a lot of that and pare down to a manageable mess.  

I've sold a LOT of stuff on ebay, but it's getting to be a real PITA.  I just got an offer on a hotwheels set for like half what I originally paid and it's a good set.  That almost makes me angry - I'd rather GIVE it to one of you guys.   I have some good stuff and some regular old stuff.  

So I'm thinking I'd like to clear it out but somehow make it a charitable thing.   Not even looking for a receipt, just would like to help others.   And this is parts and started kits and such.  Not just new kits.  

Any suggestions?  

And if I can't figure that out, I may just give it all away.  Don't get too excited - it's not that good a stash.  LOL.   Just need to get it under control.  

15 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

You could donate kits to the VA...... or if there's like a home for kids nearby....

That is a good idea for some of the more common stuff. Those types of agencies are always looking for donations to help out.

PM sent BTW.

Later-

Check to see if there will be any swap meets this year. If so, take a table and price it all to go! That way it stays in the hobby, rather than trashed. 

If you have old Monogram Model A kits, projects and parts.. send me a message!

Edited by Tom Geiger

1 hour ago, randyc said:

...I just got an offer on a hotwheels set for like half what I originally paid and it's a good set.  That almost makes me angry...

Randy,

My advice would be to change your mindset around this. Don't go trying to get what you paid, or even near it. If you are selling stuff to free up space and make some money, price things to go. Accept offers. Turn kit boxes into money and free space at your house.  Good luck.  :- )

4 minutes ago, Matt T. said:

Randy,

My advice would be to change your mindset around this. Don't go trying to get what you paid, or even near it. If you are selling stuff to free up space and make some money, price things to go. Accept offers. Turn kit boxes into money and free space at your house.  Good luck.  :- )

I have been to that point as well.   Kinda why that set was on ebay.  But then I am at a point where do I need that buck or can I find someone that actually wants it all at once or can I make it into somethng to benift charity.   Idk.   The time it takes to set up and list is not one of my favorite things to do at this point in my life.  And not sure I want to mess with the FB marketplace.  IDK - still soul searching.

Wife's BFF is coming over tonight and she works at local Children's Center - may see if they can accept open toys.  All my kits are open and probably beyond a kid from there?  Might be more hassle for the staff, but I will ask.

Edited by randyc

I agree if the point of selling is to free space, then I would not worry about prices. (if you do nothing with them, it is almost guaranteed your family we either pitch them, or sell them for pennies on the dollar anyway in the event you pass if you do not have a plan. I have provided my wife with instructions on what to do with mine, but I plan on building them !! hahahah) I would suggest that you start by offering to fellow builders, perhaps even in lots. That way, at least you know it is going into builders/collectors hands rather than dealers etc. Not to say that is bad itself, but it would be nice to think that there are folks out there filling gaps in their collection. 

I would be willing to bet if you posted a bunch of pics here, you would have a lot of forums folks interested, and heck, you may unknowingly have someone's "grail" out there. You free up space, your online community gets a chance to pick up some cool stash, and you recoup some of your funds you have spent over time. 

Sounds like you've put a lot of thought into this and some nice thoughts too about finding a good home for these models. I'm thinking if you could take some quick pictures of your collection it will attract a lot of attention from us and may help you. Just a thought.

My current issue with selling is that I just don't want to invest the time listing it, then packing and shipping.   Yes that's lazy, but I have other things I would rather do at this point in my life.    When I was needing money, that was different - it was part of income.  but now things have stabilized where that isn't an issue.   

Maybe I can do some photos of groups I can get in a box for free, taker pays shipping.   Especially if it's like you guys on here.   

Or maybe sell for a reasonable donation to the forum?  Maybe.   Surely this thing ain't free.  Mods???

Still studying.

I share your issue with an over stocked stash. In the past I sold a big block of models to a reseller just to make a dent in it. I'm hoping that this year we'll have the local show and swap meet and I'll take a couple of tables then. I have also thought of EBay but as you mentioned it can get to be a drag. One possibility if you don't have a local charity to offer some kits to goodwill might not be a bad idea. You will get a to take a small percentage off your taxes anyway and they are supposed to be helping the community with the income from the donations they get. 

I know our model club has a rummage sale day where we bring  in kits to sell. Also I understand the issue with the HotWheels cars. Now this makes me in no way an expert on values, but watching years of Antique Road Show programs, I do know that things drop in value. I don't know if this is the case with HotWheels. I do know that model car kits are kinda hot again just based on prices I see at auction sites online. With the exception of most NASCAR models, kits have held value and even increased. I have so much right now I would not even have an idea on what I would need although I am still looking for that Renwal Jordan and Ertl farm tractors to complete my collection. Built or unbuilt. I like your photo idea of boxed groups though.

Edited by lordairgtar

I know your not supposed to sell here but I would bet most everyone here would find something they would be interested in or even looking for especially if the cost was a donation to the forum. The possibilities are endless on that an ways you could make the stash smaller...

Someone above said Facebook Marketplace..   A while back my sister asked me what my nephew should do with the model cars he acquired back when he was in his early teens and I got him momentarily interested in models. He just turned 30.

She sent me photos of the stacks.. about 25 kits and asked my assessment... I told her he should put them on Marketplace— local pickup only— for $250. But to be prepared to accept $200.

He got several calls.. first guy said he’d take them, then turned around and offered $50 in person. Sent him packing!  

Second buyer came and paid the full $250.  My nephew bought a 43” TV. 

2 hours ago, SCRWDRVR said:

I know your not supposed to sell here but I would bet most everyone here would find something they would be interested in or even looking for especially if the cost was a donation to the forum. The possibilities are endless on that an ways you could make the stash smaller...

I think a selling section would be a plus to the forum. Most people on here are legit honest people so i doubt many issue's would happen. Most everyone on here knows who you can and can't deal with and the risk involved. Just my opinion

23 minutes ago, Scott8950 said:

I think a selling section would be a plus to the forum. Most people on here are legit honest people so i doubt many issue's would happen. Most everyone on here knows who you can and can't deal with and the risk involved. Just my opinion

They are strict about selling on the forum. Only private message or private email. That’s just how it is....

Randy,

to be honest from reading through what everyone has posted already there seems to be many good ideas. My first thought was like what some have posted already, get the stuff into kids hands and put a smile on their face as well as possibly keep future generations interested in what is such a great hobby. I’m also sure that there is stuff in your stash that many of us would be interested in but how to choose who and what I suppose could be tricky. I also understand your sentiments on the troubles of selling. At the end of the day go with your heart and trust your instincts and the stuff will end up in the right places with people who truly appreciate the stuff. 

If you are willing to donate the kits to a worthy (at least to me) cause, consider donating them to our armed forces personnel. See
https://ipmsusa.org/support_the_troops/index.shtml
Link to contact Steve is on that page.

My club sent a donation several years ago, I collected the kits and supplies donated by club members, packed them, and sent them to the APO address given to me by the IPMS coordinator.  The went to troops in Iraq (when the U.S. troops were still fighting there).  The postage was very inexpensive, even for those large boxes of kits.  Once you contact Steve, he should provide all the needed details.

I agree with donating to Veterans hospitals or children's clubs.

If the Boy Scouts were still around that would've been a great place to get them into willing hands.

Try to donate them to a worthy charity that will help people and not just pocket the profits.

Try to find out if there's a children's hospital or if St. Jude hospital can use them for rehabilitation purposes. 

13 hours ago, randyc said:

And this is parts and started kits and such. Not just new kits.

I think a lot of you have gone off on charitable tangents without reading the original post.  Boxes of parts and started kits.. you know what that looks like. Most charities would take one look and toss it all in the trash.

Now if these were all sealed kits, yea donate them to charities for kids, active military and vets. Honestly, outside of our small society, these just are boxes of junk.