Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO 2021. AMT Kenworth Aerodyne Cabover

This is my first BRBO on the forum, this is an old AMT kit from the mid 80's that never got built. I was expecting all sorts of trouble, being that the kit is so old, high parts count and all the horror stories of old AMT fit issues, but I can honestly say this kit went together like Lego with not one fit issue, even the decals on a mouldy looking sheet of paper went on perfectly. In fact, they laid down better than some modern decals I've used. I was able to move them around for ages without tearing them and they sink down over the panel gaps and rivets like paint! The only trouble I encountered, more a minor inconvenience really, was the exhaust stack support frame. The instructions don't make it clear which bar go's where or how they are fixed in place, but ten minutes of test fitting had that sorted. I also chopped an inch out of the frame as I didn't like how long it looked. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of this build and if it ever gets released again I'll certainly be buying a couple for sure.

20210205_161943.JPG

20210205_161957.JPG

20210205_162016.JPG

Edited by doorsovdoon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Doug 1061 said:

That turned out real nice.   Gotta love the vague at best AMT instruction sheets.   I'll have to grab one of these next time it rolls around.  I recently built a Revell K100. Also a very nice kit aside from the major flash on every part.   

Thanks, Doug. I have heard the Revell kit has lots of flash, not something that bothers me but from some of the builds I've seen they have some really bad pin ejector marks on the frame that interfere with the cross beams.

44 minutes ago, angelo7 said:

Absolutely beautiful.  Where did you cut the frame?  I got the same kit and also want to cut it.

Thanks, Angel. I cut it at the cross beam, the one in-between the fuel tanks and mud guards. My WIP thread will show how it was done.

Edited by doorsovdoon

16 hours ago, drinkone2 said:

Looks great with the shortened frame, very nice work!

Thanks. I like that the kit came with a long chassis, it's easier to remove material than it is to add it. If it ever gets released again I'd love to build a grain truck using the long chassis.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice build!  If you want to buy a new one, the Tyrone Malone's Kenworth Aerodyne 'Hide Out Truck' Transporter kit would fit the bill - just omit the race car hauler body.  McLaren Models in Falkirk is a good place to buy AMT kits in the U.K., they have this kit on Page 8 of their AMT section for £39.99.