Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO 2021 - Freightliner FLC and Flatbed

Not much to up-date!

Just working on cleaning parts and building subassemblies.

I don't know when I will be able to get to painting, up until now I have done all of my painting outside but right now southern Indiana weather is not cooperating.

I got my airbrush stuff back from my brother at Thanksgiving and my wife bought me a new H for Christmas.

I built a spray booth back in the fall but it is still sitting in the shed, the King of Procrastinations hasn't made space in the hobby room to get it set-up.

Back when I have more.

Thanks

Rog😁

BRBO 2021 clean-up 1.jpg

BRBO 2021 clean-up 2.jpg

Looking forward to seeing more!

I’m an outside sprayer too. While I’m a little farther south, it has been tending to rain all the time here. It often causes me to get into a little too much of a hurry to paint when the weather is actually good. And then the humidity is terrible most of the summer. Somehow we manage to get a decent paint job in though.

Yeah, the weather has been complete BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH this winter.

I haven't painted anything since early October.

I have always been a freightliner fan but have only built the cabover.

Attached is a picture of my inspiration, not sure I can pull it off but we will see.

Thanks 

Rog😁

1987-FL-FLC120.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I have the engine & frame mostly done, working on assembling the cab and still just overall clean-up of parts.

Not being able to paint outside has been a pain, I did the quick in & out to get the tan on the engine and 2 weeks later it is still tacky.

I have also brush painted some MM and it doesn't want to set-up either?😕

Observations

1. I don't know what the Italeri  instructions were like but the AMT ones are terrible.

2. Not a big fan of the multipiece bodies.

3. Old broke down fingers and fragile parts don't mix!!

4. Winter sucks!!!!!

Firsts being attempted on this build:

1. Use of aftermarket parts, resin, PE, etc.

2. Scratch building; mounts, trim pieces, bumpers, etc.

3. Spray Chrome, most likely Alclad. I should have my booth ready in a couple of weeks.

Will up-date as I can

Thanks

Rog

BRBO 2021 clean-up 3.jpg

Update:

A couple of fairly warm and dry days has really helped.

I have the frame, suspension pieces and interior parts in primer and color. I didn't realize until today that the gray paint I bought was matte, will probably hit them with some satin or semi-gloss clear.

I  have the major cab pieces in primer, just need to work the seams a little. I ran out of primer so painting is done until I can stock up.

I also got started with clean-up and sub assemblies on the trailer.

I need to get some items ordered paint, parts, decals etc.

That's all for now.

Thanks

Rog😁

BRBO 2021 paint 1.jpg

BRBO 2021 paint 2.jpg

BRBO 2021 clean-up 4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have just been plugging away.

The trailer is in paint and after I do the wood it will be ready for final assembly.

The chassis is ready for final assembly.

I have also been working on getting the interior ready to install.

Haven't decided completely on the body color, also waiting on decals, parts and pieces.

I will be having surgery on my right wrist in a few weeks so I'm trying to get as much done as possible before then.

Rog😁

BRBO 2021 trailer 1.jpg

BRBO 2021 assembly 1.jpg

BRBO 2021 assembly 2.jpg

Looking good.  I like the interior colors.  I haven't built a semi since I was a kid, but I have some in my stash now, looking forward to doing one.  I'd be curious to see a picture of your spray booth.  I built one myself a couple of months ago and am using it in the hobby room now.  I'm interested to see what other ideas are out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update:

The chassis is ready to add the peripherals'.

The interior is basically ready to install.

I also have the body parts in color.

On 3/15/2021 at 11:18 PM, Kromolly said:

.  I'd be curious to see a picture of your spray booth.  I built one myself a couple of months ago and am using it in the hobby room now.  I'm interested to see what other ideas are out there.

I don't have any pics of it finished but i have attached a couple of in progress pics.

The cart is the 16" x 30" two shelf service cart from Harbor Freight.

The air compressor and blower mount on the lower shelf.

It has two 4" outlets in a sealed plenum behind the filter, plumbed into a 4" DC bilge blower (185 CFM), then it will exhaust out the window.

I set it up to add a second blower if the one isn't enough.

It also has a super bright 24" LED light behind the front valance.

That's it for now

Rog😁

BRBO 2021 assembly 3.jpg

BRBO 2021 assembly 4.jpg

sb1.jpg

sb2.jpg

Edited by wayne00

• 5 weeks later...
On 2/7/2021 at 11:08 AM, wayne00 said:

Not much to up-date!

Just working on cleaning parts and building subassemblies.

I don't know when I will be able to get to painting, up until now I have done all of my painting outside but right now southern Indiana weather is not cooperating.

I got my airbrush stuff back from my brother at Thanksgiving and my wife bought me a new H for Christmas.

I built a spray booth back in the fall but it is still sitting in the shed, the King of Procrastinations hasn't made space in the hobby room to get it set-up.

Back when I have more.

Thanks

Rog😁

BRBO 2021 clean-up 1.jpg

BRBO 2021 clean-up 2.jpg

Roger,

That is exactly what I do.  Though I may vary the order in which I build the sub assembly's.

most Often I will do the engine and tranny. And the the chassis and it ancillary parts .

I haven't built that tractor as yet. I do have the Italeri kit though. i have built a coup-le of the Great Dane extendable.

They are great kits .  This combination will look great together.

Have you given any thought as to what you will put on the trailer for a load ?

Be Well

Gator

On 4/25/2021 at 10:38 PM, gatorincebu said:

Have you given any thought as to what you will put on the trailer for a load ?

Be Well

Gator

I haven't done anything in the last few weeks, hoping to get use of my hand soon.

I am working on a load but it's just going to be regular and not use the extension.

Rog😁

Hey Wayne

Nice build, l would like to get one of these Internationals to add to my collection. Check out my build "oh no I did it again" of my 1/24 379 Peterbilt and custom made 6 axle flatbed trailer. Good luck with your wrist, I  know surgery and recovery can be a bitch!

Ron G 

What paint did you use for the body? I think I may have painted my FLC the same color no knowing. Looks great, and I like the grey frame. It has the contrast that I am missing on mine. 

I guess I should have been following yours more closely. 

IMG_5787.jpg

On 5/3/2021 at 6:29 PM, Oldmopars said:

What paint did you use for the body? I think I may have painted my FLC the same color no knowing.

Dupli-Color: BGM0509 Dark Cherry Met. (94 WA9088)

UPC is 26916 71423

I picked it up at O'Reilly's

I never have liked my chassis being body color. It can be a different shade of the body color or something completely different.

The grey here is Krylon Short Cuts Matte Grey, the same color is on the interior I just hit it with some satin clear.

On 5/3/2021 at 6:29 PM, Oldmopars said:

I guess I should have been following yours more closely. 

No worries, Even if they are the same color I'm sure they will still be different.

Different takes on the same theme, works for me!!!

Rog😁