Model Cars Magazine Forum

Show us your dog !

Nazz

Turner....originally named Leo. 12 year old Jack Russell/Sheltie mix.  He knows thunder follows lightning so there are no flash photographs of him.  Rescue named him Turner as he spins around when you are getting his food ready.

Bear.....originally named Hugbug.  10 year old Pekingese/Border Collie.  Major daddy's girl.  She has her own pillow between the wife and I on the bed.  I wanted to name her Dora as she 'explored' the entire room at the meet-n-greet ignoring us and the cat in the cage in the middle of the room.

Brian.....shelter named him Harvey.  10 year old Husky/Aussie.  Picked him up on the way home from the CARS show almost five years ago.  Teenager named him Brian Griffin (from Family Guy).

Jamie.....10 year old tri-red Australian Shepherd.  May be in the witness protection program as she disappears if you pull out your phone to get a pic.  I want one of her when I come home (even just switching cars around) as she sits in my walking path with the big grin "shall I kill for you today master?"  She was fostered with a deaf dog so she knows several commands in sign language.

All are rescues!

Sadie.....granddog Golden Retriever.....roughly about 8 months old now.

July 2018   Turner and Bear.JPG

July 2018   Brian.JPG

Jamie playing w Bear.jpg

Sadie 11 weeks old    Sept 20.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2021 at 8:14 AM, Rob Hall said:

Your Westies are wonderful...my sister had a pair that were long-lived. Wonderful dogs, great personality.    We currently have two senior Yorkies, a Chi-terrier mix (the gray boy), and a Australian Terrier mix (the reddish dog).   We had two other senior Yorkies that passed in 2019 and 2020. 

Yorkies Henry (14) and Ginger (12)...

IMG-4833.jpg

Beardsley (chi-something-something mix), age 7IMG-4840.jpg

Raine, an Australian terrier mix, age 7

IMG-4680.jpg

Yorkies Zo (14) passed in April 2020, and Penny (14) passed in July 2019..

IMG-4808.JPG

Very nice dogs, I’m sorry about your dogs

I drove the kids for a 3 hour ride (each way) to get this little fuzzball "Pepper" yesterday. My son has one of her cousins "Mia" who's 8 now. They don't live with us but he still has his room and visits alot which is great. My daughter wanted a dog & we told her no, so her older brother just now decided his dog needs someone to play with. Ya, ok, I'm old but not stupid. It's not that I don't want a dog, I just hate that they don't last long enough. I guess I'm selfish & want more time with them, it's crazy how attached you become to these animals. Someone needs to figure out how to make them live as long as a tortoise or parrot.

image0.jpeg

image2 (1).jpeg

1 hour ago, mchook said:

It's not that I don't want a dog, I just hate that they don't last long enough. I guess I'm selfish & want more time with them, it's crazy how attached you become to these animals. Someone needs to figure out how to make them live as long as a tortoise or parrot.

No truer words!  The first dog the wife and I had was Winston (racer name Wimpy...of Popeye fame) was a greyhound.  We had to put him down at only ten years old due to severe arthritis he could no longer stand.  His roommate Olivia was a half scale version of what was we believe was greyhound/beagle mix (to create a faster hunting dog).  Had to put her down due to pancreatitis at 16 years old. 

Winston has been gone 11 years and I still have the funky Koala stuffy he had.

Winston and Olivia.jpg

4 hours ago, espo said:

Dogs are five year old's in a furry body. They are also the most honest creatures in the world. 

So true David. 

Mark , It is amazing how quickly you get attached alright!  We got underdog when he was about a year and had been with us only a couple of weeks when we discovered he had a problem with children. His first meeting with the grandson went great, the next one , not so much. He is now over 14 years old and hasn't seen the grandson since, but I couldn't let him go so we keep them separate.   I think he was mistreated as a pup by kids. He sure could sing though. Haven't herd him do that for a long time now. Speaking of which, Mark, does Pepper sing? Diesel doesn't yet, but boy does he talk! Got to be the Husky in him.

Great pics of all your furry guys. Keep 'em comin'.

Here's our two "kids". 

BuckShot is a full blood mountain cur. Great for squirrel and raccoon chasing. He's ten now and finally starting to slow down a little bit.

Dixie is our little girl. We got her at 7 months old. She turned 16 recently and honestly, she probably won't make it til summer. She's almost completely blind, totally deaf, and her kidneys are failing.

The wife recently got one of those dog DNA tests to see what Dixie was, turns out 25% collie and a mess of other dogs.

1612908075258[1].jpg

IMG_20141019_202118328[1].jpg

IMG_20141019_202049074[1].jpg

On 2/28/2021 at 10:18 PM, Nazz said:

So true David. 

Mark , It is amazing how quickly you get attached alright!  We got underdog when he was about a year and had been with us only a couple of weeks when we discovered he had a problem with children. His first meeting with the grandson went great, the next one , not so much. He is now over 14 years old and hasn't seen the grandson since, but I couldn't let him go so we keep them separate.   I think he was mistreated as a pup by kids. He sure could sing though. Haven't herd him do that for a long time now. Speaking of which, Mark, does Pepper sing? Diesel doesn't yet, but boy does he talk! Got to be the Husky in him.

Great pics of all your furry guys. Keep 'em comin'.

Hey Jerry, the first night Pepper was talking & howling all night long but not so much now. Mia on the other hand sings & talks all day long, I swear she thinks she's having a conversation with you.

8 hours ago, mchook said:

Hey Jerry, the first night Pepper was talking & howling all night long but not so much now. Mia on the other hand sings & talks all day long, I swear she thinks she's having a conversation with you.

Hi Mark , I'm sure Pepper will developed quite a repertoire as they grow.  Sometimes I'm not sure I want to know what Diesel is trying to say!  

Thanks Mike and Kyle for the great pics.

• 2 weeks later...

Since my collie cross, Buffy, died in 2016 I haven't even thought about another dog. I still talk about her as if she's still laying next to me on the couch, still feels like she's there sometimes for a split second when I'm say watching the TV and not really thinking about it. Coming home the other week, I walked through the door and there was my girlfriend with this little surprise sleeping on her lap. Her name is "Hope" She's a Welsh Corgi. She's partially blind, but that doesn't stop her from doing what puppies do, full of energy, getting up to mischief, and playful as you like! It feels strange having another dog here but she's settled right in, and even does some of the things Buffy used to do, like sitting on my feet and even bopping her nose on my leg when she wants food, lol.  So yeah, I never thought I'd see a new puppy in the house, or how I'd even feel about one, but I find myself treating her like I did Buffy as a puppy, so she's definitely got a cushy life ahead of her, Lol.

Hope.jpg

My furry daughters. The tri-color is Willow and the tan/white is Ginger. Willow is 9 and weighs about 75 lbs, and Ginger will be 8 in a few months and weighs just over 80 lbs. They are sisters, from the same parents, but not litter mates as there's about 1 1/2 years difference in age. 

20180310_113217.jpg

20171202_132901.jpg

20170620_153524.jpg

Craig, do they Howl?

I've always heard the Bassets, Howl and Chew. My Uncle had one 40 years ago, and it was the loudest dog in the whole neighborhood. It is literally ate Tennis Shoes. That said it was a sweet dog. Funny to watch it walk.

My friend had a Basset hound when I was a kid and I never heard it howl. We had a fort out back and when we'd spend the night in it, she would come out and spend the night with us. Thought that dog was great.

Gareth, real happy for you.

18 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Since my collie cross, Buffy, died in 2016 I haven't even thought about another dog. I still talk about her as if she's still laying next to me on the couch, still feels like she's there sometimes for a split second when I'm say watching the TV and not really thinking about it. Coming home the other week, I walked through the door and there was my girlfriend with this little surprise sleeping on her lap. Her name is "Hope" She's a Welsh Corgi. She's partially blind, but that doesn't stop her from doing what puppies do, full of energy, getting up to mischief, and playful as you like! It feels strange having another dog here but she's settled right in, and even does some of the things Buffy used to do, like sitting on my feet and even bopping her nose on my leg when she wants food, lol.  So yeah, I never thought I'd see a new puppy in the house, or how I'd even feel about one, but I find myself treating her like I did Buffy as a puppy, so she's definitely got a cushy life ahead of her, Lol.

Hope.jpg

BEAUTIFUL & HEARTWARMING🙂

On 3/21/2021 at 10:22 AM, alexis said:

Craig, do they Howl?

I've always heard the Bassets, Howl and Chew. My Uncle had one 40 years ago, and it was the loudest dog in the whole neighborhood. It is literally ate Tennis Shoes. That said it was a sweet dog. Funny to watch it walk.

They do howl on occasion, pretty much only when we go shopping in the morning before our son gets up. We can't really get them to howl otherwise, no matter what we try. I thought I had a video of them howling, but I can't find it right now. As far as chewing, fortunately they are not destructive chewers. Ginger, the tan and white one does love her stuffed toys though, and will go after the squeaker from time to time, but again, nothing really destructive.

Loki, the dog we had in the '70s, as a cute puppy:

Loki-03a.jpg.b191764e78cfeb3f374b91a5d49c44e5.jpg

A bit older; being a Norwegian Elkhound, she loved romping in the snow:

Loki-04a.jpg.c0c0f33fa48a2c78fffcf493ea53fe8c.jpg

My favorite shot:

Loki-06a.jpg.ad4a2410ab7f062c710452a51924f0e1.jpg

Yes, Loki was a she - my mom saw the name on a dog's picture in a book which didn't mention that it was male. Fun dog except when she ate a set of '40 Ford coupe fenders I'd just finished customizing.