Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Dodge Dart Hemi


Brutalform
 Share

Recommended Posts

Decided to move along and tackle another project sitting around. After I figured the rear suspension out, this one kinda sat around. Anyway, I don’t know who owns this car that gave me the inspiration to build this, but, in my opinion, is one of the nicest, cleanest, red, Hemi Darts I ever came across. I hope mine comes out pretty close to it, except mine will have different rims. I’ll be updating more as I move along, but this is where I am at right now. Here is a pic of the subject car.

E7BA1995-6EE8-4475-91E8-8F906D7E9E41.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And a little work on the dash and interior. I wanted to add some aftermarket gauges, to monitor the big Hemi properly. Took the radio and heater off the dash as well. Also I removed the door GTS emblems, arm rests, and window cranks. After the interior is painted, I plan on adding the seat belt straps to the door panels to activate the door windows. All this as I fabricate a racing harness for the roll bar as well. 

40053CB7-4FC2-4D59-BB68-FFD9EEEE0209.jpeg

380FBE78-90A3-4505-AC15-62F4F334BAFD.jpeg

50E934F2-96CA-43F0-9DC3-F3A575AF7E5F.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good work so far Tom!   The S/S LO23 '68 Dart (and BO29 '68 Barracuda) are among my favorite drag cars.  Strangely enough, I built one several years ago and used the exact same car you have in the first photo as the reference car for the mechanics and body details.  I will follow your project with great interest sir! 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the replies. I worked on the roll bar this morning, and painted all of the parts, except the body. Ran out of red paint. I have the engine assembled for the most part. Did some spark plug wiring, coil wiring, and alternator wiring. Also the brake booster hose for the master cylinder booster. I’ll post the engine pics when it’s totally together. 

D7EF77CD-8D37-4438-A546-39F33E55AD47.jpeg

746D0E02-96C7-40DE-A433-2692ABE8F4BB.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tom, great start to what I'm sure will be a nice build of an interesting subject. In regards to the SMH chassis, since you only used the back half how would you rate the overall quality and would you use one again? I've looked at them online and think it would be a time/work saver but never have seen any reviews.

Thanks, Glen

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Glen Powers said:

Tom, great start to what I'm sure will be a nice build of an interesting subject. In regards to the SMH chassis, since you only used the back half how would you rate the overall quality and would you use one again? I've looked at them online and think it would be a time/work saver but never have seen any reviews.

Thanks, Glen

  

Not a bad part, but with resin, you just never know. It came with the rear suspension and rear end, but I decided to use a rear from the parts drawer. Around the engine mounts is where it seemed it would need the most clean up. I’ve bought bodies and decals from SMH, and never had a problem. One time a piece arrived damaged, and they promptly replaced it. 

14C941C6-9973-4E0F-8389-DDE4C3069C85.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Brutalform said:

Not a bad part, but with resin, you just never know. It came with the rear suspension and rear end, but I decided to use a rear from the parts drawer. Around the engine mounts is where it seemed it would need the most clean up. I’ve bought bodies and decals from SMH, and never had a problem. One time a piece arrived damaged, and they promptly replaced it. 

Tom, your 100% correct about resin often times being a gamble but honestly that front clip looks very rough and you were wise not to use it. Thanks for the feedback and also the engine looks great!

Thanks, Glen

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Been away from the bench for a while. I have the time but sometimes certain ailments keep me from building as much as I’d like. 
Well, anyway I did accomplish some work on the Dart. Painted it Tamiya Italian Red, and waited over a month to lay down some Tamiya clear. After three days, I polished the body out, to remove some crud that got into the finish on the trunk and roof. I’m planning on adding foil tomorrow, and hopefully getting around to final assembly. 

5F716EAF-0CFD-45B8-8240-5E9D9DF608F3.jpeg

23B70F90-ED73-4EAF-98DB-A39C9B0281C2.jpeg

913F620F-FA20-4CD2-9753-F53ECF14817F.jpeg

26F1AD82-FD45-4BFB-A229-051613BCA6F0.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...