Model Cars Magazine Forum

truck, boat, and trailer

More progress! Taped the deck and hull together to sand the deck to match the hull contours. Made some adjustments to the basic engine. Mocked up the v-drive to the engine, which I am rather proud of- a differential and two quick change rear ends which will angle downwards at the correct angle for the propeller shafts.  Also mocked up and roughed in the middle cockpit which will slip into place along with the forward cockpit after the deck planking is applied and finished. Also discovered two airplane rudders in the parts box which will be perfect cut down for boat rudders (two propellers, two rudders). In addition I sketched out a deck house for the engine room that just might make it to the final design!

IMG_9531.jpg

IMG_9532.jpg

IMG_9533.jpg

IMG_9534.jpg

IMG_9535.jpg

More and more progress! Piles of parts and scratch building supplies are becoming fewer and the number of sub assemblies is growing! The center cockpit is almost done -a little sanding on the combing perimeter and ready for paint. Rudders were created and painted from airplane fins (look for shapes, use them differently). The engine was torn down and will be rebuilt with a new front cover as outlined on that thick plastic sheet- also ditched the oil pan because it was just too tall (dry sump system?). The exhaust will have to be changed to angle sharply downward since it will now not clear the deck- so some engineering to do in the very near future. Decided on a Duesenberg dash with a big speedometer added, also built a throttle and reverse control box from a piece of scrap bumper. I just found the steering wheel at the Hoosier show and flea market- thought it had a great nautical look! I think it is actually the steering wheel to the very old Monogram sport coupe. All eight seats are in primer- a little more sanding and that maroon leather paint will go on and get a rub down. Also created the stuffing boxes for where the propeller shafts exit through the hull using dowel cut at and angle- matching parts will be visible on the outside of the hull where the external prop shafts exit. Check out the painted vee drive assembly- really pulls together in a single color! One shaft chromed, waiting for it to set up a bit to chrome the other. I found two identical sprues in the parts box which may be perfect for the forced induction from the superchargers. Next projects include finishing the engine, building the bow cockpit, designing and creating the windshield, and start planking the hull in that cedar wrapper instead of strip wood. All for now, more coming soon!IMG_9545.thumb.jpg.26b82a18cf088502c66fc0e6af0be7b8.jpg

IMG_9541.jpg

IMG_9542.jpg

IMG_9543.jpg

IMG_9544.jpg

IMG_9546.jpg

IMG_9548.jpg

Edited by Paul Payne

Well, we have been moving right along......... here are some mock up photos showing the seats and cockpit surrounds- the front one is made from heavy insulated wire superglued to the edge of the cockpit- this will be blended, sanded, and painted to match the center one-also the engine is coming along- got the induction system together and working on the water jacketed exhaust system and soon hope to glue the deck to the hull and start the planking...................................... more to come when I get it done.

IMG_9567.jpg

IMG_9569.jpg

IMG_9571.jpg

IMG_9573.jpg

• Like 1

This is looking awesome Paul!  I’m really jealous of the progress that you are making, and that engine is a beast!  These pics really give a good idea of how large this boat is.  Have you calculated the overall length in scale?

Loving this build,

Tim S

The planking looks awesome Paul!  It’s really coming together!  Here is a mock up of mine so far.  I got the convertible kit for the 47 Chevy from Jimmy Flintstone, and I’m working on paper patterns for the Sportsman style woodie overlays.

TS

6665C582-BCD7-4301-BF37-683FFFA1C76F.jpeg

5496BDAD-1CC4-4420-A908-B7AB6D1B41BC.jpeg

• Like 1

It's definitely a boat with a presence!

One thing I'm curious about though is those two seats that face each other, it doesn't look like there's going to be enough leg room for any occupants. Or is that just the camera angle?

David G. 

David, It will be a little tight- I will get some figures put together and try the fit.

Thanks, Tim, I have been putting several hours a day in to git 'er done! Hope to have hull and deck planking done today and then start brushing on the clear sealer- after that I'm going to use Testors stop light red as a stain, then more clear, then more sanding-tested the stop light red on a clear coated scrap piece and the wood grain still shows through.

Figured I’d better post a couple of pics just to show that I haven’t gone totally to sleep.  Lately I’ve been working on the wood for the 47 Chevy.  I got one side pretty well done, and I’m pretty happy with how it’s going.  I briefly considered just using the overlays that come with the Galaxie kit, but decided to do the full sportsman treatment instead.  Paul, I want to thank you for turning me on to cigar wrap cedar!  I have never worked with it before, but I went and got some, and it is pretty amazing the way it can be contoured and molded with just a little soak.

E695C7AE-4C99-4334-ABC5-A949A1F198E0.jpeg

64BFF1AA-5975-4B4F-B43F-A195C2690092.jpeg

66836E67-8155-431F-813B-262446D2879B.jpeg

CC90B619-C493-4B03-8422-52CC3283DFBB.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Paul Payne said:

Your woodworking is amazing! Glad the cedar cigar wrapper is working well for you! Can't wait to see your boat's engine- I assume it will be visible?

Thank you Paul!  Yes definitely the engines (2) will be visible.  You can see in the first pic above where I have hacked out some of the braces behind the pilot seat.  The ones that I removed were part of the Dumas kit and weren’t at all accurate for the original Chris Craft.  Of course, the kit didn’t have any engines at all, so I am going to use my own artistic license and install two Chevy LS3 V12s.  I’m still working on a design for the mounting structure.  I’m also planing to but in a cooling system that should look pretty cool, kind of like the ones that I posted earlier in your thread.

49919619-AC5E-4ECA-9A84-3FA62E4B1EAE.jpeg

1 hour ago, Paul Payne said:

Can't wait- my engine has fully water jacketed exhausts as well as plumbing for the engine block cooling. I will be using modified carb stacks for the water intakes on the bottom.

Paul, a very cool thing about these boat projects is that you can let your imagination run wild with regard to your engine choice.  I’ve said it before, your engine is a beast!  Amazing the way you have put it together!  Of course, you really need something like that in a 30’ boat!  People have been doing these kind of things for years, and each one more outrageous than the last.  Here is a pic of one of the power boats that was built around the 1930s.  Check out the twin v16s!  I would love to here that thing run!image.jpeg.862d73faf8ab23cc8a1200f90a8147e6.jpeg

1 hour ago, David G. said:

Your woodwork looks great!

David G.

Thanks for your comments David, and for following along! This is Paul’s thread, I have just been kind of piggybacking along with my build.  I’m just enjoying the overall theme of massive horsepower an classic wooden boats, and tow combos!

TS

2 hours ago, Paul Payne said:

Tim, those engines look like something Harry Miller would build. He did several big boat engines for racing boats. Usually his engines were polished like this, but they were also painted, hence the paint on my engine.

You are correct Paul.  The boat is the Gar Wood Miss America VIII, with twin 1800hp Miller V16s built in 1929.  It ran 104mph in 1932!

Imagine one of those in a car like a Duesenberg! Motive power eye candy! Since my engine is pure fantasy, consider this: loosely based on two Duesenberg J's which each displaced 420 cubic inches- these were long stroke blocks, but maybe more stroke for torque and bored out for more power, and then two centrifugal superchargers similar to the Novi engine- maybe 1000 cubic inches- maybe 3 HP per cubic inch- maybe 3000 horsepower? Maybe 1000 foot-pounds of torque? Who knows how fast? Model engineering is fun!!!!!

• Like 1

Got all the hull and deck planking done, also a coat of stain using Testors stop light red which is transparent. Have a little more work to do, stain that, let everything dry, then start spraying clear coat. Also included a pic of the cooling plumbing on the engine- just a little more to add. I have also started making the windscreen, which will have a center section, a section on either side, then two side pieces- then make another one for the second cockpit. Also designing a windscreen of sorts for the engine compartment- more when I get more done!

IMG_9632.jpg

IMG_9635.jpg

IMG_9637.jpg