Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hammered 32 Drag Sedan

Dan Hay

With inspiration from several members chopping Deuces, I gave it a shot on a tudor body.  It's turning out decent, so I'm planning the full build.  I'm thinking a drag sedan, with slicks, halibrands, something with a blower, and properly decaled.  I have a Stone, Woods and Cook Willys that may donate the blown Olds and other drag race parts... I do have a partial Orange Crate kit sitting around, so there could be goodies to rob from that too. 

Here's the progress so far... I didn't mark my cuts too well, so it ended up a wedge chop because I cut one of the B pillars too short on accident. But after much filing and fitting, it's got a mean profile. After fine tuning the seams, I got it in primer and it looks decent enough to push forward, even though the A pillars are a bit rough, and the B pillars need more work. 

Thanks for looking!  

63235448005__81ABFBB3-1D7E-4267-BEF5-9650F5CD753F.JPG

63235446531__56F1CF0C-37BF-4F3F-90D1-785A3E2A969C.JPG

IMG_1417.JPG

IMG_1416.jpg

IMG_1415.jpg

Check out this dumb luck....   I swear, I chopped this thing blind, expecting to have to chop the kit windshield frame.  For fun I popped in an Orange Crate windshield frame and it fit perfectly!   It was like I planned it.  Had I planned it, it would have fit terrible..  

IMG_1420.jpg

I also did a quick mock up..... not sure I'm in love yet.  Things may be changing with this build. 

IMG_1421.jpg

Edited by Dan Hay

4 hours ago, Dan Hay said:

Check out this dumb luck....   I swear, I chopped this thing blind, expecting to have to chop the kit windshield frame.  For fun I popped in an Orange Crate windshield frame and it fit perfectly!   It was like I planned it.  Had I planned it, it would have fit terrible..  

IMG_1420.jpg

I also did a quick mock up..... not sure I'm in love yet.  Things may be changing with this build. 

IMG_1421.jpg

It's...perfect 😉

I know that is a mock-up, and the rake is probably more severe than eventual ride height will be, but that certainly looks great. I am interested in hearing what your plan is for the other details of the build.

41 minutes ago, gman said:

It's...perfect 😉

I know that is a mock-up, and the rake is probably more severe than eventual ride height will be, but that certainly looks great. I am interested in hearing what your plan is for the other details of the build.

I have a Stone, Woods and Cook Willys kit that I'm not interested in Building, plus a partial Orange Crate kit, so a blown Olds combined from both kits will probably happen, along with some decals, two tone paint with darker fenders than the body, possibly some Lightning holes in the fenders? Who knows.  I kinda want this to be street/strip so it may have a full interior, with a simple roll bar.  

25 minutes ago, Dan Hay said:

I have a Stone, Woods and Cook Willys kit that I'm not interested in Building, plus a partial Orange Crate kit, so a blown Olds combined from both kits will probably happen, along with some decals, two tone paint with darker fenders than the body, possibly some Lightning holes in the fenders? Who knows.  I kinda want this to be street/strip so it may have a full interior, with a simple roll bar.  

Sounds promising. Would work well as a period strip/street car with that chop and some stance- a "win" either way in my book. 

10 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

Chop looks good and aggressive as does the mock up!

Nice dumb luck on the windshield frame. Is it me or is it a better looking frame? 

Yes, the windshield frame is better looking, which is probably due to it being thinner all the way around, which helps with a severe chop not to have a mail slot windshield. If I had to chop the kit frame, I probably would have filed it down some. 

I made some front motor mounts out of sprue, modified the kit k-member to fit the hydro.  This is the Olds engine/trans from the Revell Willys kit, as well as the intake and the 4 port injection.  The blower and the scoop came from the new Revell Model A roadster kit. That kit just keeps on giving... still haven't built a model A with one, I just pillage it for parts.

It would have been a lot easier to build this without fenders, but what's the fun in that?  The front fenders will need holes for the headers... 

IMG_1429.jpg

We are iced in here in Texas which is a rare occurrence, so I’ve been getting stuff done on this build. 

I cut the fenders for header clearance, then realized it’s so low that with the collectors they would hit the ground. So I drilled out the four primary pipes for realism since they won’t have a collector. Also, got the stance dialed in, and painted the wheels centers a mix of silver and copper, which ended up being light gold. Not authentic but I like it. 

E6162AC3-91E1-46FA-B461-E5E60EBFCE8B.jpeg

7E06C8F1-AEAC-4CDA-850B-EFBBFB84A61A.jpeg

B6D5E3AC-A23E-45F5-85B6-5444EAFE36A7.jpeg

429729A6-AB9D-418B-B412-111EF50E2074.jpeg

• Like 1