Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hammered 32 Drag Sedan

Dan Hay

2 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Tho I'd probably never build such a car, the umpteen variations of the old drag cars is intriguing. Great reference for these cars is georgeklass.net.   There are a crazy lot of pictures of them.

Cool build Dan.

Wow, that’s a great resource! Thanks for sharing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I decided on a Tamiya minty green color, and put on a few decals.  I think it needs "something" but I'm not sure what that is. Maybe it's more decals?  I don't know.  The white roof insert and running boards will help it. Also I wired it and did a little more detail painting on the engine. 

Should the headers stay chrome, or paint them flat white? 

What else do you think it "needs"?

63694866906__FB3C6A63-6EFC-4749-84AF-5100E0019DA4.jpg

63694872094__08403799-05C4-48B7-BFDB-C3114E7A36CA.jpg

Edited by Dan Hay
  • Like 1

That is looking really good. Contrasting roof insert and running boards would look good.

Some flat white headers with heat discoloration and a dark wash (to look like it was driven hard) would set the engine off nicely.

• 2 weeks later...

Dan, that looks tough as old boots!  The stance is prefect!  I have just done a custom 41 Plymouth in exactly the same colour.  The white certainly made a huge difference and I know what it feels like when you look at your own work, know you are not happy, but can't come up with a solution.  That's what makes this place so great!

I'm with David, a wash would look great on the grille.  Of late I have been using Tamiya dark grey wash, it seems to be less harsh than the black I used to use.

Another option might be to spray the insert black and then drybrush the bars with white.  I did that recently with a red revell 32 grille insert and was happy with the results.

Cheers

Alan

Thanks for the comments, I tried the black wash, over the white grill and it didn’t look right (no pic) so I repainted it white. The white doesn’t look great but it looks better than white with the black wash. Perhaps I should try the grey wash. Anyways, pretty much finished it minus one or two details to here are some finished pics.

0D0483A1-8DCA-4E82-AC50-0FC1BF819B1B.jpeg

5C733408-B3E5-4F48-81B6-175D1B76F29F.jpeg

D0B1BEA1-0B75-4A78-8483-D699D6929400.jpeg

0982D0A3-3897-4734-A933-03C9B3DA7529.jpeg

7808FD8F-EB97-44A3-B0BE-ECBB8955FA0F.jpeg

75F4B27E-7AA0-4577-84CD-AF29C84C0838.jpeg

Wow, Dan, this turned out absolutely killer! It looks like an absolute bad ass ready to kill. I love everything about it.

As for the white grill... Everything always looks worse and exaggerated in digital close up pictures. I bet in person where the grill is only an inch tall it looks just fine.