Model Cars Magazine Forum

School me on "Metal" finishes

Apologies in advance if this has been covered ad infinitum...

What are you all using to replicate different types of metal?  Or direct me to a thread covering this. I want to step up my game in engine and wheel detailing with correct looking paint. 

For example, tarnished Magnesium, Dow 7 coating, Aluminum, Cast iron, that goldish color on carburetors like Stromberg 97s..

I used Graphite spray on a recent build to replicate magnesium on the wheels, but I felt it's too dark.  Here's a pic. 

Thanks!

IMG_1298.jpg

Though they've been discontinued by Testors, their "Metalizer" line produced very believable bare metal finishes for aluminum, stainless, magnesium, brass, cast iron, "burnt metal", etc. They were used heavily by aircraft modelers because of their outstanding potential to achieve visual realism when applied correctly, and buffed if required.

If you can find any, I suggest stocking up before they're gone the way of the Dodo.

Alclad makes "metal" finishes, as do a few others.

You can get useful information by searching the internet for people who have used all the materials and show their work for verification.

Here's one such link:   http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/nmfcb_2.htm

As mentioned, the Model Master Metalizers are excellent (my personal favourite) airbrush paints for replicating bare metal finishes, but the entire Model Master line has recently been discontinued. There are some other options. Alclad has a line of metal paints that look very good, and like the MM Metalizers are intended for airbrush use. Vallejo carries a line of metal paints in acrylic that seem quite popular, though I haven't tried them. Two lines of metal paints is offered by AK Interactive; the True Metal series and the Extreme metal series. The True metal is a thick paint in a tube, and the Extreme Metal is an airbrush ready paint. I haven't used any of the AK paints either, but I'm quite curious about them and will be buying a set soon.

2 hours ago, Harry Corning said:

Here's the first installment of that...    http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/nmfcb_1.htm

4 minutes ago, Bainford said:

As mentioned, the Model Master Metalizers are excellent (my personal favourite) airbrush paints for replicating bare metal finishes, but the entire Model Master line has recently been discontinued. There are some other options. Alclad has a line of metal paints that look very good, and like the MM Metalizers are intended for airbrush use. Vallejo carries a line of metal paints in acrylic that seem quite popular, though I haven't tried them. Two lines of metal paints is offered by AK Interactive; the True Metal series and the Extreme metal series. The True metal is a thick paint in a tube, and the Extreme Metal is an airbrush ready paint. I haven't used any of the AK paints either, but I'm quite curious about them and will be buying a set soon.

Thanks fellas. I'll see if I can round some up. 

I was also wondering if anyone had any special mixes or recipes in their toolbox, ya know, a little of this and a little of that makes... 

8 minutes ago, Dan Hay said:

I was also wondering if anyone had any special mixes or recipes in their toolbox, ya know, a little of this and a little of that makes... 

The only one I've needed outside the pre-mixed products is something to represent Dow7 on magnesium.

In reality, there are endless variations depending on many factors, but generally, I've found a light single coat (transparent) of real-car self-etching spraybomb green primer (over a grey or fine silver or gold undercoat) to get me close enough.

1 hour ago, Harry Corning said:

The only one I've needed outside the pre-mixed products is something to represent Dow7 on magnesium.

In reality, there are endless variations depending on many factors, but generally, I've found a light single coat (transparent) of real-car self-etching spraybomb green primer (over a grey or fine silver or gold undercoat) to get me close enough.

Thanks! I'll have to try that. 

In addition to the Metalizers (my favorite and I stocked up as much as I could when I heard they were going away), Alclad and TrueMetal mentioned above, I also use metal pigment that can be rubbed on to great effect. Mig Ammo has a set, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-167yisPDIs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJR5Dm17pH4

Vellejo also offers an airbrush metal color line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1MVvS1phcE&t=117s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLJRGScHoRE

6 hours ago, Dan Hay said:

In the Alclad line, I mix Steel and Stainless steel in equal parts for a convincing galvanized steel for stock exhausts and mufflers.

With Alclad paints, I usually mix one of the many aluminum shades with a little bit of "Pale Gold" for carburetors.

Although I recently bought some Alclad "Pale Burnt Metal" that should be a very good option for carbs.

Here are a couple with the aluminum/pale gold mix.

image.jpeg.715aa0ff560482a7b2903963e6df1ed8.jpeg

image.jpeg.e455830d6b38b2ffa4ba6924a49d9769.jpeg

This is the "pale burnt metal" that I'll try on my next project.

image.jpeg.6aa6e14f4f1d0f5c74603b523f7e290e.jpeg

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

With Alclad paints, I usually mix one of the many aluminum shades with a little bit of "Pale Gold" for carburetors.

Although I recently bought some Alclad "Pale Burnt Metal" that should be a very good option for carbs.

Here are a couple with the aluminum/pale gold mix.

image.jpeg.715aa0ff560482a7b2903963e6df1ed8.jpeg

image.jpeg.e455830d6b38b2ffa4ba6924a49d9769.jpeg

This is the "pale burnt metal" that I'll try on my next project.

image.jpeg.6aa6e14f4f1d0f5c74603b523f7e290e.jpeg

Steve

Holy Moly! That carb color is perfect!  Nice detailing job!