Model Cars Magazine Forum

My ole mate Ray got this kit for me back when he was building, unfortunately he gave the hobby away couple years back.

So I figured it was long over due to build it and remember the times we shared on forums building model cars.

I remember when he shared a pic of the box art. I just laughed, got to love those 80's kits.

gYzGx1P.jpg

tuzvyPy.jpg

Supercharged engine got me interested

DZb5I8I.jpg

For it's age and from that era,  seems like not too bad of kit, bit simple but the detail is there with the few parts there are.

Overview of all the kit parts

MlBKovx.jpg

Parts i'l use for the build.

THBI5rK.jpg

As much as I like the supercharged engine, not sure about that. But I am kinda thinking of transplanting a big block from the AMT 69 Chevelle to fill out the engine compartment.

Definitely going to use the 69 Chevelle seats and centre console.

5l0h7zf.jpg

Have to use my favourite wheels of course.

SBSdPbI.jpg

Applied a check of surfacer and done a wheel mock.

HunoWDG.jpg

Got it set up to where I think id like the ride height to be.

7Zt7Nkq.jpg

So the fun begins.

Edited by Cool Hand

Cool project Luke! Don't see these built very often! Something you may want to consider is bashing it with the AMT '68 El Camino Street Machine version. It has a nice separate frame and a blown BBC with fuel injection that will fit under the hood. Here's a photo of the engine in a '68 Chevelle. 

48260352336_4263ae1b90_c.jpg

Hi Luke, this speaks to me. I’m working on a El Co build now too. Love the stance as I tend to like things low! I think this is the only generation of Elky I don’t have yet, but it’s on the list. I like Rogers idea for the motor. One of the kits I’m using in my kit bash has that motor and it’s awesome. I used the block, but went with different induction, however the blower will be used in a future build for sure. I’m watching...

Cheers, Steve

13 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Cool project Luke! Don't see these built very often! Something you may want to consider is bashing it with the AMT '68 El Camino Street Machine version. It has a nice separate frame and a blown BBC with fuel injection that will fit under the hood. Here's a photo of the engine in a '68 Chevelle. 

Thanks Roger. I was lucky Ray found the kit for me.

Appreciate the suggestion as that would be an excellent idea.

But I dont have a 68 El-Camino street machine version in the stash, and it is not an easy kit to find in Australia and I dont do e-bay so that counts that idea out unfortunately. So il just make do with what I have.

2 hours ago, Steve H said:

Hi Luke, this speaks to me. I’m working on a El Co build now too. Love the stance as I tend to like things low! I think this is the only generation of Elky I don’t have yet, but it’s on the list. I like Rogers idea for the motor. One of the kits I’m using in my kit bash has that motor and it’s awesome. I used the block, but went with different induction, however the blower will be used in a future build for sure. I’m watching...

Cheers, Steve

Thanks Steve.

Being an Aussie I like utes, so im a fan of any El-Camino.

I built the 68 when I first started in the hobby, and my favourite part was the engine. So I agree with you and Roger both. Just that kit is out of my reach sadly.

Edited by Cool Hand

Build session didnt start out to good today, wanted to start out with thinning the wheel arch's before setting to the lowered ride height. But dumb me got carried away when thinning one of the arch's with the drum sander in the dremel micro.

Nearly burnt through on the right side rear.

O8VN26q.jpg

But what ever no big deal, just had to fix the situation. So back filled inside with super glue.

hWqb0BE.jpg

Once it had cured on the inside, was able sand the damaged on the outside.

GncGy6M.jpg

Re applied some 1500 black to the area to see how it looked, I was happy enough to leave it as is for now and finalize the repair when I prep the body.

kZ1mNqu.jpg

p4GD5RF.jpg

With that fiasco out the way.

Got the front sorted.

Used the dividers to measure from the existing hole.

bZBpA8n.jpg

But when I put the axle in and wheels on to check how it looks, this situation arose. The cross member was lower than the wheels. LOL!

1CNh0Uq.jpg

Always fun and games when lowering a build down in the weeds. Luckily these types of axle kits are simple enough to work around troubles.

SrQyYbg.jpg

So set the short axle locating stubs in position and marked the side of the cross member for flush cut to the frame.

mezD9oj.jpg

60Kp9Ub.jpg

Had to sand down excess material on the sides of cross member, then spot super glued it back in place. Also needed to thin the tops of inner fenders for tyre clearance and filled the hole while I was it.

.qqMBaqs.jpg

Put the wheels back on and had a look. Much better.

27ISDcK.jpg

To lower the rear, had to notch the frame and gouge a hole as the diff was hitting the floor preventing it to lower further.

EWqx6Wa.jpg

0ggEvOo.jpg

And re shaped the frame to disappear the ugly notch. Didnt get a pic of after. Il show that later.

0r6kg0v.jpg

So after all that messing about finally got the results I wanted.

822xKRs.jpg

fipDyOJ.jpg

1BgpQg6.jpg

Engine also sitting in a much better position after raising the cross member.

3av6bKj.jpg

4h9wYyk.jpg

And finally

Old style axle through the block. Yeah nah, cant have that.

iq8QapC.jpg

texPCMm.jpg

Quick rough filled in.

kuAwufz.jpg

And added some 1.6mm styrene rod for a mounting pin in the cross member.

P7IqgV8.jpg

A thought on the rear tire clearance issue. Building the SS version of this kit a while back and used larger rear tires that wouldn't clear the inner fenders. I tubed the rear wheel housings in the bed and floor. I narrowed the rear differential enough to move the tire just inside the body.  

It's all good David, no clearance issues with the tyres. I thinned the arch's for appearance. Guess ive flushed tyres on too many Japanese builds and it's become a habit as I do it on most builds now. 

HEHrX62.jpg

DlAvaJG.jpg

A catch up pic from yesterday to show re shaped rails.

VRedfsC.jpg

Actually need to do the opposite and widen the diff .

5PpSIKV.jpg

7nleXAg.jpg

And sorted out the seats and console fittment.

They were one piece so...

YPRJj2B.jpg

And didnt fit.

CXkX0AA.jpg

So separated.

azrIcOK.jpg

Edited by Cool Hand

On 2/12/2021 at 8:21 AM, Plowboy said:

Ya know, looking at these photos, the red undercarriage against the black body has a pretty cool effect.

Ha! I thought I was the only one that might think that. I was going to recommend keeping the red inner fenders, as it has that mid-60s GTO red plastic inner fender vibe!

Hi Luke, enjoying watching this come together. I agree with the others, the red fender wells looks really cool, would you consider Tamiya TS100 semi gloss gunmetal for the body? I think it would look really sharp with the red too. Just a thought, love your builds.

Cheers, Steve

• 11 months later...