Model Cars Magazine Forum

Greg Sacks Ultra Slim Fast Lumina

Scott J

Box Stock Monogram Chevrolet Lumina. Started life as a Derrick Cope Purolator Lumina. After market decals (I never remember the brand? JNJ maybe?) The car has a few flaws. Some because I am using 25+ old decals and as much as I try to do everything I can to keep them usable, you still get some problems here and there (i.e. thats why there is no drivers name above the driver door and there is some yellowing you can see on around the roof number). The other issues is that I just don't have the ability to make a "perfect" build. I always end up with little flaws in my painting, assembly, or decaling. As much as I try, I have yet to build a perfect final piece.

However, that brings me to another point. Just for fun, I have included 4 "before and after" comparison pictures. This is just the second car I have built "Twice" I originally built this same car about 25 years ago but because I really like the looks of it, I decided to build it again. So I took some side-by-side shots of what I built back then compared to what I can do now just to show the improvements I have made in my skills. (Plus, it helps me to feel better about the flaws in my current builds....LOL)       

IMG_5757.jpg

IMG_5758.jpg

IMG_5759.jpg

IMG_5760.jpg

IMG_5761.jpg

IMG_5762.jpg

IMG_5763.jpg

IMG_5764.jpg

IMG_5765.jpg

IMG_5766.jpg

IMG_5767.jpg

IMG_5768.jpg

Well done sir! I heard that if you have yellowed decals, you can tape them to a window (decal side towards the sun), leave it there for a couple of days and the yellowing will be gone. I tried it once and it worked well. Just don`t leave them for a week or you might find them cooked beyond repair!

20 hours ago, Nitrobarry said:

Well done sir! I heard that if you have yellowed decals, you can tape them to a window (decal side towards the sun), leave it there for a couple of days and the yellowing will be gone. I tried it once and it worked well. Just don`t leave them for a week or you might find them cooked beyond repair!

I actually did that. Although my wife thought I was out of my mind with a decal sheet taped to the window for 3 days...….LOL It did seem to lighten the yellowing "a bit" and they looked pretty good before I started . but when I put them on the car, especially against the white areas you could still see some yellowing.   

Edited by Scott J