Model Cars Magazine Forum

Transfer Cases - Identification & Reference

Below are a few pictures of the various transfer cases I have collected, but if someone more familiar with the correct identification (i.e., Rockwell T221, etc.) of which real parts these represent in scale would be immensely helpful.

Pic #1

Column 1:

• Red TC: 1/24 Monogram Chevy Stepside 4x4
  • Silver TC: Unknown
  • Red TC half: Unknown

Column 2:

• Off-white TC halves: 1/24 Monogram Dodge Ramcharger?
  • Blue TC halves: 1/25 MPC Chevy Stepside 4x4 (still found in '84 GMC 4x4 "Deserter")

Column 3:

• Blue TC halves: 1/24 Monogram Ford F-150 "High Roller"
  • White TC halves: 1/25 AMT '78 Ford 4x4 Pickup

Column 4:

• Red TC: 1/24 Monogram Ford Ranger(?, has slightly slimmer input stem compared to stepped input on blue Monogram TC to its left)
  • Red TC half: 1/24 ???? Does not match the other two 1/24 Monogram TC case parts, has no input stem at all (see last image)
  • White TC halves: 1/25 Revell Jeep J-10 Honcho

TransferCases2.jpg.c9dda062f3ef25c1e5bf9e99d3621fb9.jpg

Edited by Casey

The majority of those are the venerable NP205, used by all of the Big 3 in the 70s and in heavy duty Chevy's and Dodges into the 90s. Column 1 #1 and #3, column 2 #1, column 3 #1 and #2, and column 4 #1 and #2 all look like various interpretations of an NP205.

20190930_162437.jpg.0514b16c0892d54bd405977c5ed45c7d.jpg

Edited by Fat Brian

I agree. The last one from the Jeep Honcho is the Borg-Warner Quadra trac I believe. The red half one at the bottom of the first column may possibly be a New Process 203...or the front half of a Ford 205?  Ford had drivers side front outputs, GM’s and Dodges had Passenger side outputs for all solid front axled trucks. (Thanks for correcting me on the Dodge outputs Brian).
Some more info here.

https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/1906-junkyard-t-case-spotters-guide/

https://www.fourwheeler.com/features/1406-transfer-case-spotters-guide/

The silver one in the first column, and the blue one at the bottom of the second column both have a three bolt idler shaft cover which I thought was a distinctive feature of the NP-205....but Wow, poor quality if that is what they were intended to be?

Edited by NOBLNG

16 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

all look like various interpretations of an NP205.

15 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

The silver one in the first column, and the blue one at the bottom of the second column both have a three bolt idler shaft cover which I thought was a distinctive feature of the NP-205....but Wow, poor quality if that is what they were intended to be?

The Monogram cases seem to be the most detailed, but the accuracy and fidelity of the others is questionable, especially the AMT Blazer/Jimmy case. It might be best if the silver case remains a mystery forever, though. 😆 

Thanks for the images and info. I have scoured many eBay listings and the 1/24 Monogram Jeep CJ-7's case is decent, too, but I don't think it's a 205. Moebius Ford pickup cases didn't wow me, and the MPC Dodge pickup and Jeep CJ-5 and Commando cases aren't great, either.

Owned a 1:1 77 GMC and I am fairly sure that it had an NP203, not an NP205. It was born full time 4WD, but had the gas crisis 2.0 Doug Nash part time conversion with Warn hubs when I adopted it in 1988.

Edited by Rodent

1 hour ago, Rodent said:

Owned a 1:1 77 GMC and I am fairly sure that it had an NP203, not an NP205. It was born full time 4WD, but had the gas crisis 2.0 Doug Nash part time conversion with Warn hubs when I adopted it in 1998.

From an earlier link posted, you are correct, the 203 was full time and the 205 part time 4wd.

On 2/10/2021 at 7:36 PM, NOBLNG said:

I agree. The last one from the Jeep Honcho is the Borg-Warner Quadra trac I believe. The red half one at the bottom of the first column may possibly be a New Process 203...or the front half of a Ford or Dodge 205?  Ford and Dodge both had drivers side front outputs, GM’s had Passenger side outputs for all solid front axled trucks.
Some more info here.

https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/1906-junkyard-t-case-spotters-guide/

https://www.fourwheeler.com/features/1406-transfer-case-spotters-guide/

Dodge transfer cases in 70s and 80s, had same output as Chevrolet on the passenger’s side. We built a lot of lifted trucks back when I was a bit younger. We used to put Gm axles under 70s Dodge trucks Sometimes that originally had the small bolt pattern to have better front wheel bearings. Back then GM axles were pretty easy to come by and easier to get than later model Dodge axles. This was also much cheaper than the conversions to lock outs for those old Dodges.
I’ve been into quite a few 208s, a couple 203s, but never had to go into a 205.
In “my experience“ (not saying this is law) most GMs 73-77 has 203s and most GMs 78-80 had 205s, most 81-87 had 203s. However the 205 was the case of choice and was often used in truck builds.

2 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Dodge transfer cases in 70s and 80s, had same output as Chevrolet on the passenger’s side. We built a lot of lifted trucks back when I was a bit younger. We used to put Gm axles under 70s Dodge trucks Sometimes that originally had the small bolt pattern to have better front wheel bearings. Back then GM axles were pretty easy to come by and easier to get than later model Dodge axles. This was also much cheaper than the conversions to lock outs for those old Dodges.
I’ve been into quite a few 208s, a couple 203s, but never had to go into a 205.
In “my experience“ (not saying this is law) most GMs 73-77 has 203s and most GMs 78-80 had 205s, most 81-87 had 203s. However the 205 was the case of choice and was often used in truck builds.

I stand corrected on the Dodge outputs (never owned a Dodge). I know the 1980 Blazer that I mounted my Willys body on came with a 205. I later bought a 203 and with a kit from Off Road Design added the range box from the 203 in front of my 205...giving me an all-gear driven (no chain) cast Iron (heavy and indestructible) transfer case with a 2:1 low and an almost 4:1 low range.

20 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

I stand corrected on the Dodge outputs (never owned a Dodge). I know the 1980 Blazer that I mounted my Willys body on came with a 205. I later bought a 203 and with a kit from Off Road Design added the range box from the 203 in front of my 205...giving me an all-gear driven (no chain) cast Iron (heavy and indestructible) transfer case with a 2:1 low and an almost 4:1 low range.

I’ve heard of doing that. Sounds like a very cool upgrade. I’m afraid that my upgrade days are over for the most part, although I do still have an 84 K20 with a granny box in it.

Would love see a picture of the Willys.

When Dodge came out with the new 94 style body the output was changed to the driver’s side like a Ford. A friend of mine put a Dana 44 out of a 79 Ford under his mid 90s Dodge back then when he put it on 44” tires.

Edited by DRIPTROIT 71

• 3 weeks later...