Model Cars Magazine Forum

1931 Model A Sedan Stock Build

1964 Impala

Today I finally received my 1931 Model A Sedan in the mail. This will be my first build on the forum and just to warn you, I'm not a perfectionist. I will be modeling my sedan build after my Grandfather's 1929 Tudor which he restored around 1965. He painted the car himself with black fenders, and a two tone body with vagabond green and rock moss green. I do have a surprise for the paint though. So far the engine and transmission are complete and mated. Now ready for painting and back to work...

IMG_3188.JPG

IMG_3187.JPG

IMG_3189.JPG

IMG_3190.JPG

Just a tip for you, when it comes to getting the doors on, I temp glued the firewall and floor pan to the body, then taped the doors in place to get the gaps straight, glue on the hinges and then let it set. I guess this will be only useful if you plan for the doors to be open

Quick update, the engine has been mounted to the frame and the floor has also been painted. The fenders have also been painted and turned out pretty well considering this is my first time painting lacquer. The rims and tires turned out great as well, thanks again to JollySipper who sent them to me. Now to paint the body and I have a special plan for that. First a little background, my grandpa who restored and painted this sedan has been painting cars since about 1965. He even painted my Impala last year at age 80! Anyways when he painted cars he would keep the extra paint. We went out to his house and sure enough on a shelf since 1967 sat the exact paint he used to paint his real sedan. So I will be using lacquer paint that is around 55 years old but the paint shakes fine, so I'm fairly certain the paint will turn out fine. I have included some pictures of my progress and of the paint.

Thanks,

TR

IMG_3220.JPG

IMG_3221.JPG

IMG_4036.jpg

IMG_4037.jpg

IMG_4038.jpg

IMG_4039.jpg

That is awesome! LOVE the fact that you are getting to use the exact paint. As it is lacquer, just be sure to seal the body so it does not craze the plastic. If you are using an airbrush, I would also suggest that you experiment with the thinning and consistency of the paint before you start shooting it at the body.

Thanks for all the support and interest! I got the body painted and it turns out paint really never goes bad as long as it doesn't dry out. The paint is far from perfect but I thought it wasn't bad for a first attempt and for the paint being 55 years old. I also pinstriped the body as best as I could. Work Continues...

Thanks,

TR

IMG_3240.JPG

IMG_3243.JPG

Thank you for sharing this special build!  Your grandfather's car looks very nice.  Your model is coming along nicely too and I think you are doing his car justice.  This must be a heartwarming project for your grandfather to watch progress.  You might try a paint pen for the pinstripping if you want to touch it up.  I've been experimenting a little myself with them after many years away from the hobby.  They are popular with some builders.

Thanks for all the enthusiasm. This build is nearing the end as I have have mounted the hood, doors and glass. To add another twist to this build I mounted it to a slot car chassis which I do with all my models. Although it differs from regular slot cars because it still includes a full detailed engine and interior. I have included a video of it running around my track and I must say I'm pretty pleased with it. Hopefully the video works.

Thanks,

TR

IMG_3261.JPG

IMG_3262.JPG