Model Cars Magazine Forum

I'm not sure if I should use the steering wheel.

However, it has pretty impressive details, such as the fine knobs on the rim, which would provide a firm grip if it came into contact with water.

On the back I have attached a kind of fastening lock.

93.jpg

94.jpg

Edited by duffy-duck21
  • Like 1

If you have been on Tim Boyd's Hydro Vee thread in the kit review section, you will know that I too really enjoy building model speedboats but wow, you are taking this to the next level!  The sharpness of your paint masking and decal cutting is superb - I simply can't get over how flawless it is.  And your scratchbuilt parts, they to are beautiful.  May I ask, what do you use to cut the instrument rings so cleanly and perfectly parallel?  When i attempt that I tend to get a crooked surface that takes a lot of trimming to get right.

I am very much looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan. Thanks a lot for you comments. To cut the instrument rings cleanly I use a simple technique: 

The first thing I do is take a pipe with the desired diameters.

Then I cut a piece off by rolling the blade over the pipe until it breaks.

The broken piece is for the garbage can.

Now I take the pipe and carefully sanding down the cut surface until it is smooth and even with different types of sanding sticks from the drugstore (from rough until very smooth).

Then I cut another piece off by rolling the blade over the pipe. This time, however, in the approximate width that the rings should have.

Now you have rings with a clean edge on one side and an unclean edge on the other.

Now I put a strip of double-sided tape on a small sheet of plastic and put the rings very next to each other on the tape with the unclean edge up.

Then I use the mentioned sanding sticks from a drugstore and sand the rings down until I have reached the desired height.

By laying the rings next to each other they will get the same height while sanding.

As a last step, I sand single ring on the edges and inside with 3000 sandpaper to get a clean surface.

I hope that was explained in an understandable way. If not, just write to me again. Making the rings is a very simple and quick process.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great work. Unbelievable detail.  That rear fin thing is indeed called a cavitation plate, and the rear of the boat is called the transom. In the pic that you show the cavitation plate is adjustable while driving, some earlier  flat bottoms had a stationary cavitation plate . In boat racing the more boat out of the water, the faster the speed.

Also great colors.  Thanks for posting .

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

After a short summer break, this project is going on again.

Since the boat is almost finished, it was time to build the trailer, using various originals as a guide.

Except of the wheels and taillights everything was build from scratch.

Since I am not satisfied with the taillights, I would be happy if someone can give me tips on how to build them.

Thanks in advance...Steffen

98.jpg

99.jpg

100.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

103.jpg

104.jpg

105.jpg

106.jpg

107.jpg

108.jpg

109.jpg

110.JPG

111.JPG

112.JPG

113.JPG

114.JPG

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Paul Payne said:

That trailer is a thing of beauty! Show us a pic of the tail lights you don't like, and a pic of tail lights you do like- maybe one of us could suggest a starting point (not that you need one with your scratch building skills!😁

Thanks for the positive comments :)

@Paul: this is a picture which type of tail lights I wanted to build. Tried to build it several times but the result wasn`t good.

ger_pl_Ruckleuchte-rechts-Multipoint-I-Apock-fur-Anhanger-429_4.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Paul Payne said:

Don't have much help for that tail light, especially in 1/12th scale. All I can think of is various tail light patterns from a junk yard, maybe something on line. The only other thing would be scribing translucent plastic sheet in the different patterns.

The current lights that I have installed are from an Alfa Romeo from the 70s. The shape and size is quite well, but I don´t find them realistic enough for a trailer.

By the way, the scale is 1/18.

On 10/2/2021 at 5:28 PM, Paul Payne said:

That trailer is a thing of beauty! Show us a pic of the tail lights you don't like, and a pic of tail lights you do like- maybe one of us could suggest a starting point (not that you need one with your scratch building skills!😁

A great job on that trailer.

• Thanks 1