Model Cars Magazine Forum

3/23 Update: First look inside the box: AMT 1964 Cutlass Convertible by Round 2....

tim boyd

On 2/14/2021 at 9:47 AM, tim boyd said:

Certainly possible....particularly given the supporting detail in the earlier thread.

On the other hand, back in the early-mid 1960's much if not most of the AMT gang on Maple Rd were hard-core auto enthusiasts and Woodward Ave warriors from what I have been told by those who were there at the time. 

I think I could understand a certain lack of realism in the size and spacing of the blower ribs, but the question about the vertical mountings of the Weber carbs sounds to me is a bit puzzling to me.  The AMT team would not usually (but not 100% of the time) miss the memo on this type of thing.  Perhaps the 45 degree inclination of the dual blower layout was a special case somehow?  And I'm not an expert on Weber carbs....is it that they simply do not function properly at a 45 degree angle (vs. straight horizontal or vertical inclination?)  Anyway, it would be a quick fix to mount them vertically if desired....TIM 

WEBER DCOE Side draft style 

Image result for weber DCOE

WEBER IDA Down draft style

Image result for weber IDA

On 2/14/2021 at 4:07 PM, Plowboy said:

Very disappointing since they made that improvement to the '63 Nova wagon. There's no excuse since the grille is newly tooled. I could understand if they just refreshed the old tooling maybe. But, to cut a new grille and have the headlights molded in? I'll vote with my wallet on this kit. 

Seriously?  One tiny thing is going to keep you from buying it? 🙄

2 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Seriously?  One tiny thing is going to keep you from buying it? 🙄

I agree.  Just the fact that Round 2 is bringing back kits we haven't seen in decades is outstanding.    It does not bother me if certain details were not improved on.  I'll still buy it.

Edited by GMP440

On 2/14/2021 at 3:07 PM, Plowboy said:

Very disappointing since they made that improvement to the '63 Nova wagon. There's no excuse since the grille is newly tooled. I could understand if they just refreshed the old tooling maybe. But, to cut a new grille and have the headlights molded in? I'll vote with my wallet on this kit. 

Good. That'll leave more for the rest of us!

🌵😎

On 2/14/2021 at 4:07 PM, Plowboy said:

Agreed. Strange decision, especially in a highly visible area such as the grille.

I guess they can't all be home runs like the '63 Nova Wagon. 

On 2/13/2021 at 11:17 AM, Danno said:

<Snip>w" and there is no mention of it in your review. So, inquiring minds want to know - is the dagnabbit clip back or not?  

PS: I really like the look of the new chassis screws. If we have to have them, they might as well look a little more 21st century that the 60's dudes did!

I know I am not always that bright...but what is different with the screws? Am I missing a joke perhaps?  

2 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

I know I am not always that bright...but what is different with the screws? Am I missing a joke perhaps?  

I guess it's like the old kits with a combined rear suspension and exhaust.  I display my models right-side up and with the hoods closed, so I don't get bent out of shape if some things aren't quite realistic.  As long as the body is done properly, that's what's most important to me.  Some want everything to look realistic, but it isn't going to happen at this price point.  

6 hours ago, Motor City said:

I guess it's like the old kits with a combined rear suspension and exhaust.  I display my models right-side up and with the hoods closed, so I don't get bent out of shape if some things aren't quite realistic.  As long as the body is done properly, that's what's most important to me.  Some want everything to look realistic, but it isn't going to happen at this price point.  

That makes sense, but there was specific reference to the "new screws", just did not understand if there was really some weird difference, or if it was just a joke simply because it IS a screw chassis.

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark

39 minutes ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

That makes sense, but there was specific reference to the "new screws", just did not understand if there was really some weird difference, or if it was just a joke simply because it IS a screw chassis.

Mark,

The old annuals had one-piece platform chassis that were attached to the bodies with screws.  The screws were uniquely designed . . . unlike typical hardware store screws. They had bullet-like tips and the "threads" were spiral-like rather than typical helical screws. Unique.  Designed to be easier to thread into the plastic bosses in the body, and the bullet tips pulled the chassis, bumper mounting tabs, and the radiator-wall mounted body bosses into alignment before the threads cut into the bosses.

This new Cutlass kit has entirely differently designed screws that serve the same purpose; they are more conventional appearing.  

I found one of the old AMT chassis screws in a '60 Mercury I picked up from an estate sale.  I gotta get to that Merc!

screwt.jpg

I think everybody (AMT, SMP, MPC, JoHan) used them.  Later on, JoHan converted to plastic taper-shaped pins, and eventually everybody abandoned them altogether in favor of flat panels for gluing.

🌵😎

Edited by Danno

1 hour ago, Danno said:

Mark,

The old annuals had one-piece platform chassis that were attached to the bodies with screws.  The screws were uniquely designed . . . unlike typical hardware store screws. They had bullet-like tips and the "threads" were spiral-like rather than typical helical screws. Unique.  Designed to be easier to thread into the plastic bosses in the body, and the bullet tips pulled the chassis, bumper mounting tabs, and the radiator-wall mounted body bosses into alignment before the threads cut into the bosses.

This new Cutlass kit has entirely differently designed screws that serve the same purpose; they are more conventional appearing.  

I found one of the old AMT chassis screws in a '60 Mercury I picked up from an estate sale.  I gotta get to that Merc!

screwt.jpg

I think everybody (AMT, SMP, MPC, JoHan) used them.  Later on, JoHan converted to plastic taper-shaped pins, and eventually everybody abandoned them altogether in favor of flat panels for gluing.

🌵😎

Holy cow, see, I am losing my marbles. I have some of those around here, and still totally forgot. I was thinking a screw is a screw, and I am missing the gag. LOL

Thanks Danno!

This one quote in the photo tells me everything.

The no clear headlights is a little odd, I agree, but hey, flat aluminum paint, followed by Testors Clear Parts Cement fixes that.

Definitely getting one. It'll be nice to have a small-block Olds, and appears to have a Super-Turbine 300.

Charlie Larkin

image.png.a6ec3ea3ec7b4e5552b4f07ed175c331.png

There's a kit for all tastes out there. Personally I love that some of the older simple kits are being released. I'd probably lose interest in the hobby if every kit out there was a realistic looking high parts count build, it can be a bit of a grind sometimes so it's nice to build basic every once in a while an if you feel like adding more detail to them.. you can, and you can go as far as you like.

2 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

There's a kit for all tastes out there. Personally I love that some of the older simple kits are being released. I'd probably lose interest in the hobby if every kit out there was a realistic looking high parts count build, it can be a bit of a grind sometimes so it's nice to build basic every once in a while an if you feel like adding more detail to them.. you can, and you can go as far as you like.

Exactly. 

I'm interested to hear how the '65 GTO roof fits the new Cutlass body. What a shame they didn't include that in the new kit. Or a new convertible up-top. Or, better yet, both. 

Edited by Snake45

• tim boyd changed the title to 3/23 Update: First look inside the box: AMT 1964 Cutlass Convertible by Round 2....