Model Cars Magazine Forum

3/23 Update: First look inside the box: AMT 1964 Cutlass Convertible by Round 2....

tim boyd

To me, this one really seems to have the "vintage kit" feel, rather than the "vintage kit that has been through the mill" feel.  I think I'm gonna need one.

If this is a success in Round 2's view, then hopefully it will lead to a stock '67 Buick Skylark, '68 Coronet, etc...  

3 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

To me, this one really seems to have the "vintage kit" feel, rather than the "vintage kit that has been through the mill" feel.  I

Bill...as I've been building the kit this week, your view is exactly what has been rattling through my mind too....TIM  

11 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I'm interested to hear how the '65 GTO roof fits the new Cutlass body. 

Richard....mocked up the GTO roof to the Cutlass bod this PM,,,,it's a natural and fits nearly perfectly.  I'll try top post a picture tomorrow....TIM

Edited by tim boyd

9 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

To me, this one really seems to have the "vintage kit" feel, rather than the "vintage kit that has been through the mill" feel.  I think I'm gonna need one.

If this is a success in Round 2's view, then hopefully it will lead to a stock '67 Buick Skylark, '68 Coronet, etc...  

I think there is a very good chance of seeing the 67 Skylark and 68 Coronet come out again, now that Round is repairing and retooling their old molds.

1 hour ago, GMP440 said:

I think there is a very good chance of seeing the 67 Skylark and 68 Coronet come out again, now that Round is repairing and retooling their old molds.

Minor point...the Buick annual was a '66 Skylark GS....

Between the two I'd expect a '68 Coronet R/T over the Skylark, but personally (even as an old Mopar nut myself) I understand the appeal of the 1966 Skylark.  I've got two of them in my stash....TIM  

43 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

I understand the appeal of the 1966 Skylark.  I've got two of them in my stash....TIM  

I've been hoarding Skylarks and Skylark parts for years. I hope to get at least three or four of them together someday (plus the one I built in 1969). Just last month I managed to score a complete set of the original annual custom parts, so one of them will be the full Alexander Brothers custom. B)

I'm a hardtop guy, though I am intrigued by this kit's custom cowl treatment.

I'm a symmetry guy, so I might try bashing it with the Fireball 500's twin cowls.

Also:

- Dual Judsons

- Custom hood - cut open some nostrils, shave off the hoodpins and louvers

- Yellow glass

- Bigger wheels and tires

- Lower it

- Stock grille and headlights

- Stock taillight panel

- Custom pans - minus bumperettes, and with licence plate recesses filled in

I'm a buy-it-on-sight guy, so I can't wait to get started.

10 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Minor point...the Buick annual was a '66 Skylark GS....

Between the two I'd expect a '68 Coronet R/T over the Skylark, but personally (even as an old Mopar nut myself) I understand the appeal of the 1966 Skylark.  I've got two of them in my stash....TIM  

My bad...and I have often wondered why AMT never updated their '66 Skylark to a '67. Getting either a '66, a '67, or both would be nice!

16 minutes ago, CapSat 6 said:

My bad...and I have often wondered why AMT never updated their '66 Skylark to a '67. 

That's easy--Buick obviously didn't order '67 promos. There was no '67 Wildcat, either (though there was a '67 Riviera promo and kit). 

On 2/18/2021 at 8:52 AM, Snake45 said:

I'm interested to hear how the '65 GTO roof fits the new Cutlass body. 

OK Richard (and I'm sure, many of the rest of you reading this thread), did the mockup last night.  Looks like it will be a breeze for those who have the skills of most participants in this forum....TIM 

DSC 0143

Front will fit windshield header much better once the sunvisors in the Olds convertible body are removed...

DSC 0144

Hope that helps!  TIM 

14 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

My bad...and I have often wondered why AMT never updated their '66 Skylark to a '67. Getting either a '66, a '67, or both would be nice!

I think the argument given was that if AMT couldn't get enough years out of a change, they wouldn't do it. The 68s were all new.

If the auto manufacturer wanted X number of promotional models, AMT/MPC/Jo-Han (pick one) would produce them, regardless of whether or not they could wring another year out of it through minor alterations.  There are numerous promos that were produced for one year only of a particular generation of a car, and on top of that there are a bunch of them that were never even produced as kits...the promo order was enough for the kit company to turn a profit.

1 hour ago, Mark said:

If the auto manufacturer wanted X number of promotional models, AMT/MPC/Jo-Han (pick one) would produce them, regardless of whether or not they could wring another year out of it through minor alterations.  There are numerous promos that were produced for one year only of a particular generation of a car, and on top of that there are a bunch of them that were never even produced as kits...the promo order was enough for the kit company to turn a profit.

The Johan 1968 Chrysler Imperial comes to mind.

As far as I know, there was never a kit produced, only promos.

27346.jpg

Steve

52 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

The Johan 1968 Chrysler Imperial comes to mind.

As far as I know, there was never a kit produced, only promos.

27346.jpg

Steve

As far as I know, you are correct. I have 6 of the '68 Imperial promos. There are also some '67 Imperial promos out there, so they basically got two years out of the tooling, with not much alterations required to change the '67 to the '68.

Jo-Han, the smallest of the "promo big 3", probably did more "non-kit" promos than AMT or MPC.  Most are AMC products, like Rambler four-door sedans and wagons.  The '65 Rambler Classic four-door sedan and '66 Ambassador hardtop would be a couple more one-shot promo deals that weren't offered as kits.  

On the flip side, Jo-Han did very, very few showroom stock car kits that were not first issued as promos.  The '69 and '70 Rebels would be two, though those were extensive alterations of the existing '67-'69 Ambassador.  AMT and MPC did do more annual kits not based on promos, as they were larger companies and could take a swing at something if they felt it could sell enough copies as a kit alone.

31 minutes ago, BobbyG said:

Man, I can't wait to kit bash this with the 66 442 convert kit and see how everything fits. I am looking forward to modifying the door panels to the 64. Wow, another project!

I haven't done the test fit yet, but combining the underbody gubbins of the AMT '66 442 with the new '64 Cutlass body seems like a match made (almost) in heaven.  I'll bet a bunch of replica stock builders on this Forum take that very step once the Cutlass kit hits the market. 

Having said that, and having just completed building the engine and the interior of the Cutlass kit, I am surprised (to put it mildly) just how accurately detailed these assemblies are....particularly the 330 V8 in that kit....with a separate, stand alone oil filter, starter/coil, and generally good engraving, the finished engine is much more presentable than most 1960's annual kit offerings.  And the interior, with reasonably good engraving on the door panels and the new instrument panel decal, is pretty presentable as well, other than the bottoms of the front seats and the lack of depth in the footwells....items that could be addressed without a great deal of effort. 

TIM 

• tim boyd changed the title to 3/23 Update: First look inside the box: AMT 1964 Cutlass Convertible by Round 2....