Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 Ford 3-W Parts Box Build

Plowboy

7 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

Wow Roger,  three going at once and all have your outstanding attention to detail. 

Thanx Sam! This one is on hold until I can get a rack and pinion from the Phantom Vickie. One of the pitfalls of building out of a parts box.

5 hours ago, slusher said:

Did you paint your bright red over white primer? I haves a can of this for a project and was curious..

No, I used gray primer Carl. I don't like to use white primer under anything but white. Seem like the paint wants to pull away from the panel lines over white. Unless a color is kinda transparent, I don't think the color of the primer makes a difference unless you just spray one coat and I never do that with any color besides white. 

57 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

Thanx Sam! This one is on hold until I can get a rack and pinion from the Phantom Vickie. One of the pitfalls of building out of a parts box.

No, I used gray primer Carl. I don't like to use white primer under anything but white. Seem like the paint wants to pull away from the panel lines over white. Unless a color is kinda transparent, I don't think the color of the primer makes a difference unless you just spray one coat and I never do that with any color besides white. 

Grey. makes the color a little darker but I believe you .

On 3/15/2021 at 2:04 PM, Plowboy said:

I now have the paint polished on the body. I really like this color and I'm not a big fan of red!

20210315_132709-1.jpg.fdbfdad983f1966be145bc06f5071774.jpg

I have everything but the exhaust in paint. I'll have to do it once I have the engine mounted. I also have to do the driveshaft. I just discovered that I don't have the rack and pinion from the Phantom Vickie. If anyone has one to spare, please send me a PM. I need one worse than a blind man needs eyeballs! 

That looks good,.

Like REALLY GOOD!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2021 at 8:37 PM, SpeedShift said:

That looks good,.

Like REALLY GOOD!

Thanx Jim! I thinks it's going to look nice with the wheels and tires I have planned.

And thanx to Paul who kindly sent me the rack and pinion I desperately needed, I'm back on this one until it's finished hopefully. I'm going to work on getting a rolling chassis first. I have to do some detail painting. Maybe I can get it together today.

I finally have a rolling chassis! My time lately has been taken up fabbing the exhaust. What a pain! Especially trying to route it through the tube center section. No fun at all! I really like how the poseable front end worked out. It works just like I thought it would. 

20210331_180236-1.jpg.e86774ff25df6972028d5ee6da726b7f.jpg

20210331_180159-1.jpg.6127ca0c76200280617e5be36df4d9c5.jpg

On 3/30/2021 at 4:12 AM, bill-e-boy said:

The Tamiya Mica Red is a stunning colour choice

I have just finished rubbing out and polishing a Chrysler 300B that I painted in the same colour and I am mightily impressed with it

Thanx! This is actually Tamiya Bright Red. I've used the Mica Red a couple of times and it's a beautiful color. 

On 4/1/2021 at 9:21 AM, slusher said:

sharp wheels..

Thanx Carl! I'm not quite 100% on these wheels. I have a set of Chrome T's that I want to try out on it also.

On 4/1/2021 at 11:19 AM, CabDriver said:

That looks killer!  Way cool!

Thanx Jim!

I finally have the exhaust done! The front section and headers (not shown) are from a Monogram '37 Ford Convertible. The rear section is from the Phantom Vickie. I switched sides with them, cut the tail pipes off, cut the tips from them, glued those to the mufflers and then glued to the front sections. They barely fit through and take some fiddling to get them there. I dread installing them after paint!

20210402_122200-1.jpg.561f1b1acbd3cfa3faaa99ce49876265.jpg

As you can see, there's no room for the master cylinder to mount to the frame. So, it's going to have to go on the firewall. I doubt I'll use a booster. I'm going to have to narrow the rear track a bit to place the wheels and tires the way I want. I'll then make the front match. The steering rod will glue to the bottom of the engine mount with the wheels in the straight position. But, I'll still be able to turn the wheels. Once I get the exhaust and headers painted, all of the paint work will be done. Then, I'll start detailing the engine. I can't wait to start getting it dressed up! Some of the chrome will get matte clear. Some will get semi gloss clear. 

Edited by Plowboy

6 hours ago, slusher said:

Roger, I don’t think you could go wrong with either set of wheels. Chassis looks great! What did you make the turndowns out of?

Thanx Carl! I think either set will work also. Just have to see which looks best. The turn downs are just pieces I cut from the tail pipes from the Phantom Vickie exhaust.

Thanx for the feedback guys! I have the engine together. It wasn't without some drama though. First, I had to change the alternator pulley setup. The one from the Roaster wouldn't work because of the front engine mounts. Then the body wouldn't fit because of the position of the engine. There was no way to simply slide the body back as the floorpan has to butt against the trunk pan. I had to lower the front of the engine by cutting away the mounts on the front and raise the transmission by adding to the mount. It fits now. But, just barely. The air filters aren't glued as it doesn’t look like the hood will fit with them on. I changed the carburetors for a set from a Revell '69 Camaro. No more issues and I should have it done soon.

20210407_230140-1.jpg.9ef947d695cb7e0f97c59323f25998c1.jpg

I am going to change the wheels for the Chrome T's and lower the front a couple or 3mms. 

18 hours ago, oldnslow said:

Cut the air horns from the bottom of the air cleaners and you'll gain the space you need to clear the hood . 😎

I was thinking to just glue the top portion of the air cleaners to the carburetors. But, I like your idea better! I'll try it and see if it works. If they still don't clear the hood, I can just take them back off.