Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nostalgic 70 Johan Challenger Funny-Car trip

Claude Thibodeau

HI!

I know... nostalgia exagerates the past. But to me. the 21st century funny-cars appearance pales in comparison to the era of more "similar" body styles, and creative colorfull liveries that bordered on art form, not vynil wrapped billboards. I also know that the sheer cost of running FCs leaves no choice to operators. But we can still celebrate the "groovy" era of the late 60s - early 70s, right?

The Johan kit is a GREAT offering, even at 50+ years of age. Few glitches will slow you down. Tim Boyd comments favorably about the kit in his latest book, with reason. I found this one for 5$, because the seller was ashamed that the box, stored in his dirt-floor garage, was smelly because of mice dejections. One man's trash is... well you know this one!

So: hosed, wired, detailed, painted Tamya's pure white with Testor's Hot Pink panels, and ficticious home-made decals added to recreate the era's vibe. The hood-top-trunk abstract artwork was a painting I found on the web, dowloaded, processed and trinted on clear decal sheet. Testor's Wetlook clear copiously soaks the whole thing. The frame is Testor's black enamel, and a variety of Alclad shades were used for the engine and accessories, 

They say that "if you remember the 60s, it means you weren't there", but I beg to differ. Long live nostalgia funny cars, even the ficticious ones! 

CT 

DSC01161 (2).JPG

DSC01166 (2).JPG

DSC01168 (2).JPG

DSC01169 (2).JPG

DSC01170 (2).JPG

DSC01173 (2).JPG

DSC01176 (2).JPG

DSC01177 (2).JPG

DSC01179 (2).JPG

DSC01180 (2).JPG

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, iBorg said:

I agree this car holds up well to "state of the art" even 50 years after release. I love the graphics. What kind of printer did you use. In face I love the whole car. Really nice job.

Hi Mike!

Thank you for the comments. I have Words on my computer, so i tweaked the picture I imported (the top art), streched it, and then printed it trought my HP Deskjet 3845 printer... an old unit (about 8 to 10 years I guess), but that still works well. The rest of the lettering was also made with Words, using the "lighting" feature (for the contrasting glow around the police) and the graded shade in the Acid Rush side lettering. I once experimented with letting my printed decals dry, and give them a second pass in the printer (not on this particular car, however). If you are lucky, it makes for a darker, more contrasting job (see Willys lakester below). But if the decal shifts while printing, it comes out fuzzy...

CT

DSCF3682 (2).JPG

31 minutes ago, Nazz said:

I agree with Mike, this model holds up well, and great job . It looks just like it should IMHO. Well done Claude!

Thank you Jerry!

I forgot to mention that I added extended sills on the sides of the body, and did the same amount of extension on the front spoiler. The stock mock-up showed that the driver's platform was showing below the lower body, and I didn't like that. It just required a cut-out for the headers to clear the body once lowered in racing position. 

My apologies to Johan kit lovers who strive for OOB appearance...

CT 

It is absolutely beautiful Claude (as for all your builds my friend)!!!

In the last 5 years (but sadly not last year... thanks to the coronavirus) I went to the NHRA New England Nationals with two of my good friends and there are always a few of these beauties on display near the entry of the competitors on the track.  There is always a lot of traffic around the cars and it is even sometimes very difficult to be able to take pictures of them due to their great popularity.  As with the Pro-Stock class, I found the Funny Cars of that era to be prettier than those of today because they looked like their original versions in every way.  You know my weakness for the brand by the way...

Well played again my friend, you certainly have a well garnished display cabinet! 👌

Very nice build.
I agree with Francis, the old Funny Cars from that era up to the early 90's looks a lot better than the ugly wedge door stop shaped body with a small blob on top we have today wich looks noting like the cars they are supposed to be.

1 hour ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

It is absolutely beautiful Claude (as for all your builds my friend)!!!

In the last 5 years (but sadly not last year... thanks to the coronavirus) I went to the NHRA New England Nationals with two of my good friends and there are always a few of these beauties on display near the entry of the competitors on the track.  There is always a lot of traffic around the cars and it is even sometimes very difficult to be able to take pictures of them due to their great popularity.  As with the Pro-Stock class, I found the Funny Cars of that era to be prettier than those of today because they looked like their original versions in every way.  You know my weakness for the brand by the way...

Well played again my friend, you certainly have a well garnished display cabinet! 👌

HI Francis!

Thank you. Your story about the popularity of vintage funny-cars is no surprise. WE LOVE THEM. Same for the "cacklefest" events where they start old dragsters in unisson. 

Francis Laflamme and Mopar in the same sentence? I'm shocked, really...

My cabinet is almost full. Too much time on my hand I guess?

Keep safe and press-on with your 64 Pick-Up!

CT 

1 minute ago, Force said:

Very nice build.
I agree with Francis, the old Funny Cars from that era up to the early 90's looks a lot better than the ugly wedge door stop shaped body with a small blob on top we have today wich looks noting like the cars they are supposed to be.

Hi Sir!

I guess they conform to the "evolution of species" law... Adapt to the changing world or die? But it won't stop us from cherishing vintage FCs in the meantime...

CT 

Yes you might call it progress and evolution but not all progress is of good.
NHRA started to loosen up the rules when the Camaro and Firebird fourth generation bodies came 1993 wich generated more downforce due to the wide body and narrow top they had, so they let the racers narrow the top on other bodies too like on the Mustang and other bodies where the roofline did go all the way out to the body sides to even out the competition, and we ended up with nitro powered wedges they use today.
Even the Alcohol floppers looks more like the cars they are supposed to be than the Nitro cars do.

Edited by Force

LOVE it!!  Groovy!!  

I know we can't stand in the way of progress, but for me, the 70's funny cars had "personality".  They were unique, and were much more personalized by the team.  Today's funny's are look alike except for the graphics, and even the graphics seem similar at times.  I understand the reasons and trying to equalize the competitiveness, but it makes for "cookie cutter" commonality.

On 2/14/2021 at 1:53 PM, Force said:

Yes you might call it progress and evolution but not all progress is of good.
NHRA started to loosen up the rules when the Camaro and Firebird fourth generation bodies came 1993 wich generated more downforce due to the wide body and narrow top they had, so they let the racers narrow the top on other bodies too like on the Mustang and other bodies where the roofline did go all the way out to the body sides to even out the competition, and we ended up with nitro powered wedges they use today.
Even the Alcohol floppers looks more like the cars they are supposed to be than the Nitro cars do.

Hi SiR!

Thanks for the insight. It should come as no surprise when we look at the ficture in your handle. LOL.

CT

7 hours ago, sflam123 said:

LOVE it!!  Groovy!!  

I know we can't stand in the way of progress, but for me, the 70's funny cars had "personality".  They were unique, and were much more personalized by the team.  Today's funny's are look alike except for the graphics, and even the graphics seem similar at times.  I understand the reasons and trying to equalize the competitiveness, but it makes for "cookie cutter" commonality.

Thank you Stephen!

The aerodynamics principles I can understand. But the livery is basically the logo/artwork of the "sponsor of the week". As the old saying goes: rarity and uniqueness create value. Artwork derived from a can of antifreeze?  A smidge less exciting, IMHO. 

CT

Claude, you did a great job capturing this era on this build! I remember going to Connecticut and New England Dragway to see the funny car and pro stock match races and feel fortunate that I did. Todays pro racing has zero appeal to me but congrats to you on another fine build.

Glen

8 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi SiR!

Thanks for the insight. It should come as no surprise when we look at the ficture in your handle. LOL.

CT

Well I'm a fan of the man, not the car. ;)B)

8 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Thank you Stephen!

The aerodynamics principles I can understand. But the livery is basically the logo/artwork of the "sponsor of the week". As the old saying goes: rarity and uniqueness create value. Artwork derived from a can of antifreeze?  A smidge less exciting, IMHO. 

CT

I'm with you in that statement.

Edited by Force

On 2/16/2021 at 12:42 PM, Glen Powers said:

Claude, you did a great job capturing this era on this build! I remember going to Connecticut and New England Dragway to see the funny car and pro stock match races and feel fortunate that I did. Todays pro racing has zero appeal to me but congrats to you on another fine build.

Glen

Than you Glen!

You are right... those were great times... elapsed times, alas...

CT