Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 | Honda S600| Tamiya |

airea

Hello all,

I have recently finished Tamiya's Honda S600. It is a tiny car, probably 2/3rd of a normal size car. The fit of the kit is ok, probably a little more problematic than recent Tamiya standards. Chromed everything with Alclad. Used tamiya spray white mixed with some tamiya acrylic earth to get a classic car color from 60's. Used automotive gloss as the top coat and applied alclad for the trims over it. Thanks for your comments...

salih  

LT2n4Y.jpg

LT257M.jpg

LT2x2y.jpg

LT2uNp.jpg

LT2Ymn.jpg

LT2TIh.jpg

LT2a48.jpg

LT2Nio.jpg

LT2OlU.jpg

LT2Lyj.jpg

LT2hAI.jpg

LT2g21.jpg

It came out beautiful!  I also have that kit (unbuilt). Can you tell me what were the specific challenges?

I also have a suggestion:  This forum allows us to upload all our photos here for free.  It would be nice if we tried to conserve the forum's space by reducing the size of the photos. The ones you uploaded are quite large. They are more than 3000 pixels across. I usually resize my the photos I upload here to 1024 pixels across.  That still provides a sharp view of the model, but it takes up much less space on the forums storage.

1 hour ago, peteski said:

It came out beautiful!  I also have that kit (unbuilt). Can you tell me what were the specific challenges?

I also have a suggestion:  This forum allows us to upload all our photos here for free.  It would be nice if we tried to conserve the forum's space by reducing the size of the photos. The ones you uploaded are quite large. They are more than 3000 pixels across. I usually resize my the photos I upload here to 1024 pixels across.  That still provides a sharp view of the model, but it takes up much less space on the forums storage.

Thank your all for your encouraging words, I am glad that you liked the model.

Pete,

the kit is nice but the plastic is too thick. You may want sand down some of the parts that show it but  that is not applicable for the windscreed.

Inserting the body to the chasis was quite difficult, you have to really spread the sides of the body and hope to not break the plastic (I learned it the hard way).

Gluing the dashboard to the body also requires a nice strong glue. Once you gloss the body, you will not be able to use Tamiya green cap. I used gators grip but it requires a lot of time to cure.

The front grill's shape (curvature, in fact) does not fit the body as you would expect from a Tamiya kit, you may need to slightly bend it under some heat but decide it yourself:)

As for the photo uploads, I had no idea about the forum's ability to store the images. I was thinking that 3rd party image upload sites take care of all the store issues. I will keep that in mind. 

salih

Wow! TERRIFIC job and what a neat little car!

I built one of these (Nitto kit) a looooong time ago and I have the Tamiya kit, but for whatever reason I never touched it. I also have the HUGE 1/12 scale Doyusha kit that I need to tackle some day. Thanks for the heads up and the pitfalls to watch out for in case I ever get the ambition to build this.

Here in the States, I've NEVER seen one of these in person.......I'm not sure as tiny as it is I'd be able to get in one! :D

9 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Wow! TERRIFIC job and what a neat little car!

I built one of these (Nitto kit) a looooong time ago and I have the Tamiya kit, but for whatever reason I never touched it. I also have the HUGE 1/12 scale Doyusha kit that I need to tackle some day. Thanks for the heads up and the pitfalls to watch out for in case I ever get the ambition to build this.

Here in the States, I've NEVER seen one of these in person.......I'm not sure as tiny as it is I'd be able to get in one! :D

I have not seen the actual car either but saw some photos on the net. It is really a small car, probably slightly bigger than a motorcycle:) In fact they have used a chain for the transmission instead of a shaft:)

17 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Cok Guzel Abi!  
I lived in Izmir when I was young. Where in Turkey are you?

Cok tesekkuler Abi:)

I live in Istanbul but my family lives in Izmir and I have lived there until college days. Were you in Izmir in the US military base? 

5 hours ago, airea said:

Cok tesekkuler Abi:)

I live in Istanbul but my family lives in Izmir and I have lived there until college days. Were you in Izmir in the US military base? 

Nice to meet you!  My father was US Army at NATO, on the waterfront. We lived in the city. 1966-68

My father sold a 1966 Pontiac Lemans 2 door hardtop with a 4 speed when we left. It was blue but we learned it was painted yellow. I wonder if it is still in Izmir!