Model Cars Magazine Forum

50 Oldsmobile

Cool Hand

• 8 months later...

Dug this one out and made of bit of progress. Want to finish it before the years end.

Worked on the engine and chassis frame.

3fr5ycz.jpg

GLgPK5L.jpg

gUrXqma.jpg

Quick suss on the floor pan.

Q1O8UrI.jpg

Tried to add some extra details to the engine. Fuel lines, throttle linkage and return spring. Fun task with failing eye sight.

EheZHos.jpg

PEyCy8u.jpg

vqoxWrO.jpg

Rough engine mock in the frame, not game to glue it in place yet. As I reckon there is going to be issues with the exhaust manifolds hitting the inner fenders. 

92Aip08.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks for all the comments very much appreciated

On 12/18/2021 at 3:46 AM, espo said:

What manifold did you use for the two fours ?  

I just modified the one supplied in the kit. Cut in a notch and added some sheet styrene.

gGU4Dms.jpg

On 12/18/2021 at 5:47 AM, Mr. Metallic said:

But what really struck me is your engine stand. made out of kit sprue?

Yeah made out of a sprue frame from Revell chopper kit front fender.

sprueframeb.jpg

braceposition2t.jpg

On 12/18/2021 at 6:16 AM, lucky 130 said:

I just question the color, black is so hard to keep clean.

I find wearing gloves at all times when handling parts painted black helps to keep them clean

On 12/18/2021 at 8:09 AM, Zippi said:

Was that paint the Tamiya in the spay can?  Fantastic, I've used Tamiya rattle cans and can't come close to a paint job like that.  What's the secret man?

Yes sir, straight from the can finish. Ive had many years of practice doing so many Tamiya TS-14 black paint jobs.

As previously shown the surface the paint is applied to is key. The TS-14 paint is applied in one continuous build up of coats. Start with a very light coat and continue to build up the coats until its a smooth wet look. Its a fine line between super wet look and the paint running. Just takes some practice to become familiar with how much paint can be applied before it runs.

On 12/18/2021 at 9:18 AM, TransAmMike said:

I wasn't too sure about your wheel choice at first, but I'm liking it now.👌

When it all comes together the wheels should suit the style of build.

24 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

Failing eyesight, join the club!  I'm finally getting an eye exam, several years past due. 

Im the same, need to admit defeat and go get some prescription glasses. One day.......

So there was a fitment issue with the engine. The exhaust manifolds were hitting the inner fenders.

pDsbPIm.jpg

It was mainly at the front more than the back though.

sOgq0Wt.jpg

So decided to remove some material to gain clearance. Used these bits in the Dremel Micro.

YxTqXqY.jpg

Before.

TAQ5MvQ.jpg

VOCoLvc.jpg

After removing some material.

Ryi4nvc.jpg

UviARLW.jpg

gSVpfbq.jpg

And brushed on some black for a quick touch up.

Hr288GR.jpg

Now to attach the chassis frame to floor pan. Fingers crossed I can get it done cleanly with minimal glue mishaps.

Edited by Cool Hand

On 12/19/2021 at 2:07 AM, Cool Hand said:

Thanks for all the comments very much appreciated

I just modified the one supplied in the kit. Cut in a notch and added some sheet styrene.

gGU4Dms.jpg

Yeah made out of a sprue frame from Revell chopper kit front fender.

sprueframeb.jpg

braceposition2t.jpg

I find wearing gloves at all times when handling parts painted black helps to keep them clean

Yes sir, straight from the can finish. Ive had many years of practice doing so many Tamiya TS-14 black paint jobs.

As previously shown the surface the paint is applied to is key. The TS-14 paint is applied in one continuous build up of coats. Start with a very light coat and continue to build up the coats until its a smooth wet look. Its a fine line between super wet look and the paint running. Just takes some practice to become familiar with how much paint can be applied before it runs.

When it all comes together the wheels should suit the style of build.

Im the same, need to admit defeat and go get some prescription glasses. One day.......

Thank's for the info on the Tamiya Rattle can painting Luke.

On 12/21/2021 at 3:18 AM, doorsovdoon said:

Engine is a work of art! Awesome detail.

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

On 12/21/2021 at 3:46 AM, NOBLNG said:

Wow, fantastic work!👍 If your eyesight is failing, you must have been an Eagle 🦅.🙂

Thank you,

Yeah, I use to have really good eyesight could see for miles and fine details up close.

But years of welding and getting older it is starting to deteriorate, so it can be challenging to see the small stuff up close. Have to use a magnifier with a 3x lense to do fine detail work now.

18 hours ago, FLHCAHZ said:

WOW.  The chassis and engine look great! 

Thanks Chaz, hope it will look the part when all pieced together

Decided to chrome the fuel tank. And have wanted to try out a new chrome paint I got a while back, but having got around to testing it. 

So masked all around the tank.

WsjrXqS.jpg

To mask the spare tyre wheel well, used some of this. Works great for areas where applying masking tape is impossible or a hassle.

xf69o0O.jpg

This is the chrome I used.

8i22xtS.jpg

Its is near on or if not better in appearance than Alclad. Shot at 18 psi, and in this pic it has that dust like Alcad gets so it need's to be lightly buffed.

k9W8NuB.jpg

When doing chrome I always start out on a test spoon then onto the parts and after un masking and a light buff with a cotton ball. Very impressed with the appearance of the GSW chrome, real test now is to see how durable it is.

JrXeeBo.jpg

2 hours ago, David G. said:

The metallic paint on the engine and frame look spectacular! What paint did you use on them?

Thanks, used Alclad chrome.

I tend to put it on too heavy as I dont like the splotchy look when applied lightly. So it does lose some of the mirror reflectiveness, but thats ok still looks the part to me.

Got a few more things done.

Attached the chassis frame to the floor pan.

chassis_attach_to_floor_pan_4.jpg

chassis_attach_to_floor_pan_3.jpg

chassis_attach_to_floor_pan_6.jpg

chassis_attach_to_floor_pan_5.jpg

Flat clear applied to the seats.

seats.jpg

Got out the masking putty again and done the interior door panel's.

interior_door_panel_masking.jpg

Airbrush some decanted Tamiya TS-14 black

interior_door_panel_masking_1.jpg

Unmasked.

interior_door_panel(1).jpg

Edited by Cool Hand