Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
Snake45

Jungle Jim's '67 Nova

Recommended Posts

Just bought (on impulse) a resin body for Jungle Jim's '67 Nova. I already have the decals, and should have suitable paint, so I just need to piece together a chassis. 

Did a google-image search and couldn't find one pic with the body up. From what I can tell, it SEEMS to be a tube-frame chassis, with the chassis painted a similar blue color to the body. I'm thinking the early Logghe chassis from one of the reissued MPC funny cars (such as the Judge GTO) should work, or be close enough to adapt. Anyone have any other info on the chassis of this car, or any ideas? 

8a1f1b5e5d6f3ce2afa5b6bf617e1b07.jpg

NEW-66-67-Chevy-II-Nova-Jungle-Jim-F-C.j

TfE2SrpuxapHSqXcdwM0FC6WrBysd1R_r4omwcXL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jungle Jim`s son is on facebook I think there is group on there that has Jungle jims photos on there to

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I build one awell ago and used the chassis from the Johan funny car kit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may have some photos of one that Roger Lee and Rich Ruggiero built years ago. Roger built the chassis, so, no question it is correct! It will probably be tomorrow night,  before I have a chance to look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I may have some photos of one that Roger Lee and Rich Ruggiero built years ago. Roger built the chassis, so, no question it is correct! It will probably be tomorrow night,  before I have a chance to look.

That would be the 1966 car he built.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mr68gts said:

That would be the 1966 car he built.

The '66 car was completely different, with long nose and altered rear wheel openings. No idea what kind of chassis was under that one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

The '66 car was completely different, with long nose and altered rear wheel openings. No idea what kind of chassis was under that one. 

Yes i know. I was referring to the 66 car is the one Roger and Rich built.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mr68gts said:

Yes i know. I was referring to the 66 car is the one Roger and Rich built.

Yes I know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Snake45 said:

The '66 car was completely different, with long nose and altered rear wheel openings. No idea what kind of chassis was under that one. 

Snake, I found this pic. Not sure, but it looks right, no rear AWB.

Jungle 66 nova.jpg

Edited by magicmustang

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, magicmustang said:

Snake, I found this pic. Not sure, but it looks right, no rear AWB.

Jungle 66 nova.jpg

Absolutely fantastic! Exactly what I needed to know! Almost certainly a Logghe chassis. 

That pic also has a wealth of detail about the tinwork, too. 

You've made my day! Thanks SO much my friend! B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Snake45 said:

Absolutely fantastic! Exactly what I needed to know! Almost certainly a Logghe chassis. 

That pic also has a wealth of detail about the tinwork, too. 

You've made my day! Thanks SO much my friend! B)

Glad to help. Jungle Jim is one of my favorite build subjects.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Absolutely fantastic! Exactly what I needed to know! Almost certainly a Logghe chassis. 

That pic also has a wealth of detail about the tinwork, too. 

You've made my day! Thanks SO much my friend! B)

Snake found another pic, different angle. Hope this helps.

Jungle Jim '67 Nova.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, magicmustang said:

Snake found another pic, different angle. Hope this helps.

Jungle Jim '67 Nova.jpg

Very most way excellent! The chassis looks black in this one, but we know from the other one it's light blue. 

Looks like different rear wheels in this shot, too. Good details on the fuel/water tanks. Thanks again! B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I vaguely remember reading many years ago the chassis in this car is the same in his 68-69 Nova bodied car

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

I vaguely remember reading many years ago the chassis in this car is the same in his 68-69 Nova bodied car

 

I'd never heard that, but it sure looks to be the same color. 

I have a mint unbuilt Logge chassis of the right type from a JoHan '70 4-4-2. When the body comes, I'll check and see if the wheelbase works.  Thanks! B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

I vaguely remember reading many years ago the chassis in this car is the same in his 68-69 Nova bodied car

 

Here's a pic of the restored '69 Nova FC.

1969  up.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the old Super Stock & Drag Illustrated magazine that had the full-color centerfold of that car--disassembled down to the last nut and bolt. :blink:  And the complete cost list--IIRC, it ran to somewhere around $25,000, a huge amount of money in those days (it would have bought FIVE brand new Corvettes). B)

160917940_-racing-chevrolet-chevy-ii-nov

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 67 Nova originally had a black chassis  and was later painted light blue. The main part of the body was steel with fiberglass doors , front end etc. It also had opening doors.The body color was GM Marine Blue. Good luck with the build. You can get the proper front wheels for this car from the Miss Deal funny car kit.

Edited by nitro norman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nitro norman said:

The 67 Nova originally had a black chassis  and was later painted light blue. The main part of the body was steel with fiberglass doors , front end etc. It also had opening doors.The body color was GM Marine Blue. Good luck with the build. You can get the proper front wheels for this car from the Miss Deal funny car kit.

Good info, thanks! Didn't know about the Miss Deal wheels--I have one of those somewhere. I'm planning to paint it Model Master Nassau Blue, which is just a shade lighter than Marina Blue but looks like the photos to me. Soon as the body gets here I'll see if it fits the JoHan '70 Olds chassis. If not, I'll have to come up with a Plan B. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great project, got to love the way modelers help each other and the amount of information that can be obtained on almost any car of note.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just ran across this pick on facebook. Maybe it will help with your build.

146475387_10221146429142821_8500310394092090967_o.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2021 at 6:49 PM, Snake45 said:

The '66 car was completely different, with long nose and altered rear wheel openings. No idea what kind of chassis was under that one. 

These are some pics of Roger Lee's chassis for the longnose Nova ( '66 ) He was kind enough to share them with me for reference for my styrene version. I have read that J Jim built the real chassis himself on his garage floor.

185471_195693710493347_3964885_n.jpg

254631_195695257159859_5738470_n.jpg

292276_195693107160074_4194222_n.jpg

540307_455704864492229_706771802_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, nitro norman said:

These are some pics of Roger Lee's chassis for the longnose Nova ( '66 ) He was kind enough to share them with me for reference for my styrene version. I have read that J Jim built the real chassis himself on his garage floor.

Now that is good information. Never seen those before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...