Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mazda Cosmo Sport 1968 + wankel engine

Reuhkapelti2

Hasegawa is a new kit manufacturer to me, but what a perfect fit on the parts. No need to clean anything, just cut loose  and put together. That could sound boring to me, I'm used to fix and adjust and make my own parts in every model I build. 

Well also this time I couldn't resist some scratch building. I want to make a Mazda Wankel engine under the hood, since Hasegawa didn't do it. No cursides on my shelf. 

IMG_20210125_145433.jpg

IMG_20210217_163037.jpg

Thanks everybody. There's nothing special with this wankel engine. I cut off the bottom of the half engine that was in the kit. Then I searched my scrap box for a useable piece of plastic, shaped it with my Dremel, glued it in the engine bay. Then I started to study pics of the real Cosmo engine and piece by piece made and assembled them on the engine block. I think what you can't see, doesn't matter when the model is finished. The engine block got the original oil pan underneath, the clutch bellhousing and the transmission were modified a little to match the driveshaft. 

Today I got the white paint sprayed and the wheels are now silver tone. 

IMG_20210224_192207.jpg

IMG_20210121_145608.jpg

Edited by Reuhkapelti2

Well I started to put the old decals on the body. They are very brittle and it  takes a long time soaking them in warm water to get the back paper to slide off. The nr. 19 decals are a bit yellowish, and it shows even better as the paint is pure white. No sun shine here now to get them white again...

I noticed that the wheels are not silver in the race version, so I'll strip the paint and the chrome dishes off. 

IMG_20210225_172423.jpg