Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Ed Roth Surfite w/ Surf Diorama

laemtao

This week I started Revell’s Big Daddy Surfite. The kit is very low in parts but super fun. I will ditch the tiki shack for this one. Gonna Build the Surfite stock with some additions. I threw up a quick sketch so the car will be placed on a beach covered Real surf fin and then glued to a wood platform with a clay created wave over hanging the car and the Ed Roth figure will be placed at the end of the fin. Just something fun I thought to share here. 

694D48A1-D841-40F8-8275-2C84A04F1828.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

325F6EB2-56FB-4762-B211-7630706BB883.jpeg

34352567-31EA-4407-AB24-A5EA92B0DAEC.jpeg

Edited by laemtao
Added photos

Be careful! Fit can be poor on this one. Triple check things like fit of interior tub into body (I added plastic) and fit of both bumpers. 

I remember that the spindley chrome chassis parts had a lot of visible ejector pins and seams to sand. I wound up stripping it all. 

and the Tiki Hut is the most fun part! Bob Paeth was with Revell at the time and told me that since the car is so small, the standard size box appeared to be empty. There was worry about perceived value, so they came up with the hut to fill up the box!  And it was a hit!

3 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Be careful! Fit can be poor on this one. Triple check things like fit of interior tub into body (I added plastic) and fit of both bumpers. 

I remember that the spindley chrome chassis parts had a lot of visible ejector pins and seams to sand. I wound up stripping it all. 

and the Tiki Hut is the most fun part! Bob Paeth was with Revell at the time and told me that since the car is so small, the standard size box appeared to be empty. There was worry about perceived value, so they came up with the hut to fill up the box!  And it was a hit!

Yes yes yes!! I fit all my parts before and after painting and 3 times before that! This kit is very close on the fit. I get obsessed with fitting. Yeah I have striped most the chrome, I just cleaned the shock from seams. The bell housing was apart from the spruce when I opened it and had to putty and fix the round curve to it. The bumpers I have started to clean. The rear bumper has a notch that is completely open so sealed that up with plastic and minor putty. Also the front bumper is a black decal, but It’s actually 2 horizontal holes on the 1:1 so gonna have to cut that slowly. My biggest challenge is the interior bucket doesn’t have the molded leather part on the front panel only the seat and side panels so gonna scratch that piece. So my plan is get the chassis done and check stance and fitment x2 then tackle the body and paint! 

I did read up about the shack and how they had to add the pieces to sell it, very interesting but makes sense To fill a standard model box. And just watched the tales of the rat fink documentary super cool clip about revells models in that documentary if you haven’t seen it, I believe I streamed it on Amazon prime video. 

12 hours ago, laemtao said:

This week I started Revell’s Big Daddy Surfite. The kit is very low in parts but super fun. I will ditch the tiki shack for this one. Gonna Build the Surfite stock with some additions. I threw up a quick sketch so the car will be placed on a beach covered Real surf fin and then glued to a wood platform with a clay created wave over hanging the car and the Ed Roth figure will be placed at the end of the fin. Just something fun I thought to share here. 

694D48A1-D841-40F8-8275-2C84A04F1828.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

1 hour ago, SpeedShift said:

Looks very good so far...Love the Roth stuff.

Thank you very much. It’s an awesome little kit. I watched a Roth documentary’s couple weeks back and purchased the kit halfway thru the movie and it’s going from there. 

I loved his cars when I was a kid.

Got to meet him and his son and see the Beatnik Bandit II at a car show around 1997.

He signed a bunch of books and kits.

He was a very nice guy, Generous with his time and conversation.

I recently built three of the kits, stalled on the Surfite and Beatnik Bandit...still works in progress.

DSCN4905.jpg

Edited by SpeedShift

2 hours ago, SpeedShift said:

Got to meet him and his son and see the Beatnik Bandit II at a car show around 1997.

I recently built three of the kits, stalled on the Surfite and Beatnik Bandit...still works in progress.

DSCN4905.jpg

Wicked cool story, he seemed like a pretty cool dude. And great work on those 3 Roth kits and hopefully you can get the other 2 finished. I am def gonna get another Roth kit once this build is done. 

35 minutes ago, bisc63 said:

Very cool story, and loving what you're doing with this Roth kit.

Thank you Very much! I hope I can recreate the wave in a cool Roth style. And I just peeked at the decal sheet. Which has a mini Revell Surfite box so maybe build a mini box and “bury” it on the beach diorama part aka have it sticking out of the sand just slightly 

image.jpg

6 minutes ago, SpeedShift said:

NOT SURE WHO BUILD THIS ONE (SURF FINK) ,  BUT THEY DID A NICE JOB ON THE WATER....WAVE LOOKS LIKE TINTED EPOXY RESIN....

surfink 29.jpg

surfink 30.jpg

The Surfink is a awesome kit, I saw it on a reissue list for this year. I have never worked with resin so I may just to clay for this diorama. Also thought about making a little crab after seeing it on a surfink! Once I get to that stage of the process it will most likely happen give the beach scene more spice than just a tsunami about to crush my little yellow Surfite! Thank you for sharing that picture 

That Surfink was built by Joe Riley from the Dallas area, around March 2006. He was a bit of a bohemian artist type and had a fun blog site called " men-oo-she-a" on which he posted all kinds of trivia that aging baby boomers could relate to from our youth...bits and pieces from the t.v. shows,toy commercials and Saturday morning cartoons we grew up with, those hilarious B Sci Fi movies from the 50s by American International that many of us watched after school, etc. In addition to the build thread of his Surfink he had a build thread of the Chrysler Turbine car. Joe passed away suddenly in Nov.2007

Nice work so far! I've built most of the Roth stuff over the years, here's my Surfite:

Surfite LF

And Surf Fink:

SURF FINK 1

and the the rest of my Roth builds to date:

https://public.fotki.com/Roullier/model_cars-1/ed_roth_cars__monsters/

Big Daddy was an icon of my youth! I got to see him many years later at a couple of car shows and at the Kustom Kulture Show in '93. I couldn't bring myself to have much of a conversation with him, but he signed my catalog.

Edited by RancheroSteve

On 2/20/2021 at 5:35 PM, SpeedShift said:

DSCN4905.jpg

20190310_234410.thumb.jpg.0e9b34762ab43b55ce598efb554d3682.jpg

20190310_234501.jpg

20190310_234818.jpg

Edited by styromaniac

My Task for the day: replicate the two vent slots along the left front of the Surfite. The kit comes with 2 black decal stripes but with such minimal view of the engine I want to show it and replicate the 1:1. 

2 options: I drill tiny holes and shave along to make two vents, OR just take the whole side out and replace with evergreen styrene and add a separation strip in the middle. of course while maintaining a clean look! 

also you can see the mold the lines begin to fall in a bit but on the 1:1 it’s smooth all the way across. 

SO IT BEGINS! Also rolling chassis coming next. 

image.jpg

F549091F-C4F8-4370-8721-AFCB98E562B2.jpeg

Edited by laemtao

16 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Good luck with those front vents! I remember they weren’t exactly straight on my kit and were a pain to paint!

Thank you. Yeah I cut the body out right there and gonna 2 new pieces of styrene there. I’ll update a picture later. I am gonna try and mimic that extra drop on the bottom right vent.