Model Cars Magazine Forum

I Used To Be Good At Drawing

doorsovdoon

2 hours ago, afx said:

Nice work.  You should give it another go.

I've been wanting to pick it up again for years but never really had the time until lately. The drawings I posted here were mostly done when I was in school. I would skip the odd lesson like R.E and P.E, head to the toilet cubicles with my bag, light up a cigarette and start drawing, Lol! I was starting to take huge interest in artists like Art Fitzpatrick and Van Kaufman, the Ford La Tosca concept car above shows how influenced I was by their art and the style I wanted to master, later I even did some air brush paintings in art college. I learned how to shade and cast shadows, some of my art looked almost identical to Fitzpatrick's work, but I wasn't there long and none of the paintings have survived.

Those are GREAT ! Your line work is spot-on , man ! While I truly like the lot of them , it's that 1958 Chrysler 300 against that desert background which really impresses me --- quite like Ralph Steadman's works in Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas .

I used to draw all of the time , too . The last automobile piece which I created was 10 , 11 years ago : Raw Power , after The Stooges album and song of the same name . 

19 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Those are GREAT ! Your line work is spot-on , man ! While I truly like the lot of them , it's that 1958 Chrysler 300 against that desert background which really impresses me --- quite like Ralph Steadman's works in Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas .

I used to draw all of the time , too . The last automobile piece which I created was 10 , 11 years ago : Raw Power , after The Stooges album and song of the same name . 

Ha, I might have been in "bat country" when I drew that one! ..somewhere around Barstow and the edge of the desert, where the Buffalo roam. Goddang animals, Lol

2 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Ha, I might have been in "bat country" when I drew that one! ..somewhere around Barstow and the edge of the desert, where the Buffalo roam. Goddang animals, Lol

Haha !  My compliment is sincere , my Cymræg brother . If you'd like , I can send an image of 'Raw Power' to you via a message here . 

14 hours ago, Phirewriter said:

Nice work, pick up your pencils and pens and go. As artists, and that includes anything creative, as in model building too, we're our own worst critic. Don't let yourself get in the way of doing something enjoyable.

Thanks, Michael. I am indeed my own worse critic. Every picture I posted above I can see flaws and inaccuracies. No internet back then so only had low res pictures in car magazines to work from, that's my excuse anyway, Lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Those are some great drawings! Definitely accomplished.  I really dig the 50s/60s show cars/styling studies.

I used to draw a lot of cars as a kid, haven't really been at it much over the last few years. Oh well, other pastimes intrude sometimes, and that's OK!

• 3 weeks later...

These are the rest of the drawings I found. I don't have any more, my later stuff which was far better than this was left in college to be graded and never picked them back up. The only ones that survived are the ones done in pencil, I only have them because I though they weren't good enough to be graded so I took those home.

20210327_112142.JPG

20210327_112200.JPG

20210327_112224.JPG

20210327_112302.JPG

Edited by doorsovdoon