Model Cars Magazine Forum

48' Ford hot rod

Jantrix

Last year I spotted a really neat 50 Chevy duallie pickup online and I was super inspired to build something similar and my model turned out great. 

Last week I spotted this wicked 47 Plymouth built by Charles Darmanjian, and I'm off and running again. 

https://m.roadkillcustoms.com/charles-darmanjians-47-plymouth/amp/

I've decided to go forward with the Revell 48 Ford Custom. It's already got a rather aggressive Cobra Merc-esque chop and I think it's close enough to the Plymouth. I've nabbed the lowered chassis from the R-M 37 Ford coupe and the modern wheels and tires. The fender width is spot on, but the chassis will need to be shortened about a quarter inch. The engine will be a Monogram 97 Ford Nascar unit. I've dubbed it Stark Raven as it will be flat black like the Plymouth. But rather than adding the gloss elements, I'm gonna go with a titanium color. Starting this weekend. Can't wait. 😀

Charles-Darmanjian’s-1947-Plymouth-Rat-Rod-678x381.jpg

20210219_221934.jpg

20210219_221912.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

Some suspension work. I like the ride height I've achieved. This kit was definitely not designed for a modern V8/tranny so I ended up shortening the radiator and pushing it forward on the chassis to make room for the engines length. I've added the X frame,  tranny mount and front/rear suspension from the Monogram '37. Looking good. More soon. 

Oh and BTW, my employer was recently bought by a new parent company who assured us nothing was going to change, then promptly fired 16 of us this past Monday. Quite the gut punch. I've been laid off before, with near three months of heads up time, but never "get your stuff and get out" fired before. I'm bouncing back and forth between rage, depression, fear and "oh look, modeling time". And the real stinker of this is, this really was the perfect job. Decent pay, zero OT/weekends, great commute,  good managers,  great team, and a position I excelled at and was appreciated for. It lasted near four years. Oh well,  thanks for reading. 

20210224_161352.jpg

20210224_161138.jpg

20210224_160950.jpg

20210222_221923.jpg

On 2/24/2021 at 6:50 PM, Jantrix said:

Some suspension work. I like the ride height I've achieved. This kit was definitely not designed for a modern V8/tranny so I ended up shortening the radiator and pushing it forward on the chassis to make room for the engines length. I've added the X frame,  tranny mount and front/rear suspension from the Monogram '37. Looking good. More soon. 

Oh and BTW, my employer was recently bought by a new parent company who assured us nothing was going to change, then promptly fired 16 of us this past Monday. Quite the gut punch. I've been laid off before, with near three months of heads up time, but never "get your stuff and get out" fired before. I'm bouncing back and forth between rage, depression, fear and "oh look, modeling time". And the real stinker of this is, this really was the perfect job. Decent pay, zero OT/weekends, great commute,  good managers,  great team, and a position I excelled at and was appreciated for. It lasted near four years. Oh well,  thanks for reading. 

20210224_161352.jpg

20210224_161138.jpg

20210224_160950.jpg

20210222_221923.jpg

I was looking forward to your build on this as the Plymouth prototype looked interesting. I'm really sorry to hear of your job situation. Been there and somehow survived it and You will also. Network with everyone and every other company you've ever had contact with. One thing that's hard to remember is this isn't a reflection of you or the work you have done in the past. 

50 minutes ago, espo said:

One thing that's hard to remember is this isn't a reflection of you or the work you have done in the past. 

That's the hard part for me, is that I was fired DESPITE the outstanding work I'd done in the past. My logical mind can't get over that. It was jaw dropping on Monday, and still is.

But on the bright side, I have some good leads and a likely interview next week. 

18 hours ago, Jantrix said:

That's the hard part for me, is that I was fired DESPITE the outstanding work I'd done in the past. My logical mind can't get over that. It was jaw dropping on Monday, and still is.

But on the bright side, I have some good leads and a likely interview next week. 

This maybe something that winds up on the off subject part of the Forum, but for what it's worth I'm sure there are a lot of members here pulling for you. As I mentioned this is something that I and I'm afraid others have had to go thru. A letter of recommendation from past employers  and supervisors can go a long way with any prospective employers .  In the meantime this will give you some time to work on this build to take your mind off of the other problems in life. Wish you well in your search. 

Edited by espo

Thanks David. 

One thing that gives the Plymouth such a low aggressive look is how low the front end is. I think the chin spoiler is a bit over the top,  but the front bumper is low. So I removed the bumper mount and added a faring. I used a '40 Ford panel roof. I'll use the same piece to create the visor later. And I've decided to go with a classic Buick aircleaner.

1013032779_Charles-Darmanjians-1947-Plymouth-Rat-Rod-678x381.jpg.a6e4c9129153b52a2d325f8f9764b148.jpg

20210227_105308.jpg

20210227_105323.jpg

20210227_153734.jpg

20210227_170115.jpg

On 2/24/2021 at 4:50 PM, Jantrix said:

20210224_161352.jpg

20210224_161138.jpg

20210224_160950.jpg

20210222_221923.jpg

Nice start. Definitely following along. Great project.

As far as your work situation. Fired implies termination for cause. You were laid off.  Mostly likely it was you were making too much money and benefits and nothing based on your past performance. Besides do you want to work for a company that lied that there were not going to be changes. Definitely not ethical people.

I like your idea of the front roll pan. Are you going to have a front bumper or leave it as is ??  I never understood what Buick was thinking with that Air Cleaner in a standard production car except that this was made out of plastic and maybe it had something to do with heat transfer from the engine to the air going thru the air cleaner. Now in this application it looks perfect almost SiFy looking. 

1 hour ago, espo said:

I like your idea of the front roll pan. Are you going to have a front bumper or leave it as is ??  I never understood what Buick was thinking with that Air Cleaner in a standard production car except that this was made out of plastic and maybe it had something to do with heat transfer from the engine to the air going thru the air cleaner. Now in this application it looks perfect almost SiFy looking. 

Yes, I will be including the bumpers. Snugged up nicely to the roll pan. But rather than painting the chrome pieces gloss black like our esteemed Mr. Darmanjian, I'll be doing them in metallizer titanium. 

This suspension conversion went better than I ever imagined. The '37 Ford parts just fit darn near perfect with some judicious trimming. I'm happy. Gonna start on the interior now. On the fence on a four point roll bar and there's no photos of the real car showing that area of the interior that I can find. More soon.

20210301_101618.jpg

20210301_101624.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Such a cool project. I am so glad to see that someone sees something different with that kit, and is moving forward with it. Sorry for you job loss as well, I hate to hear that for you. 

Thanks Mark. I do understand what others have been saying about the chop on this model. For a "kustom" it's not ideal or very aesthetically pleasing. But for a rip-roaring, asphalt tearing, neighbor hating, neck snapping hot rod I think it does just fine. It has an aggressive look that I like a lot. Once I saw the Plymouth, I knew what this kit was supposed to be in my display case. All the old school parts left over, will not go to waste. More soon.

20210301_163556.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

20 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Really diggin it. Please tell me you are going to do a bit of the interior, at least the steering wheel. 😁

Mark I'm doing the dash like that. But I've no idea what to do on the steering wheel. I have a standard sport wheel set aside, but if something better pops up I'll go with it. Thanks for you interest.

• Jantrix changed the title to 48' Ford hot rod